Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3, Model S
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
How do we electrify this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/snPM79nJ86RZzPcEA
2D3DF82E-8B69-47DA-B9DC-3B5AC0E871E0.jpeg

I think it will take a marriage of the Cybertruck and the Tesla Semi.
If Tesla would put the battery pack from the smaller Tesla Semi in the Cybertruck, it could long haul a camper like what is pictured above.
Here are my assumptions:
Cybertruck efficiency pulling a large camper: 1700 wh/mile
Battery size: 500 kWh
70% usage on a road trip (charge from 10-80%)
500 kWh / 1700 wh/mile x 70 % = 206 mile range or 2.9 hours
40 minute charge at a mega charger and you are on the road again for another 2.9 hours. Rinse. Repeat.
Of course you could start the day with a full charge and go 294 miles.
Tesla would need to lift the Cybertruck to accommodate the battery. That sounds pretty awesome to me.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
How do we electrify this?
This pictures a 1 ton duelly. Tesla doesn’t make that variant. Hitching a Cybertruck to that trailer isn’t a test of the motors. Brakes are another story on an F-150 scale Cybertruck.

Tesla would be foolish to build a 1 ton duelly. Its a gateway drug for beginners and Cheap Charlies’. The former eyeing a pickup doing serious truck work. The latter expecting warranty to pay all the expensive consumables(rotors, spindles, bearings, pads and tires). Both are losing as Tesla would do well to steer clear in the First Place.

Thus, skip 1 ton, go straight to 2.5 ton lorry spec box variant for Commercial use(Fedex, Amazon, UPS, DHL). Tesla should jump customer’s directly to SEMI for Commercial trailer.

Surrendering, of course, NoMan’s territory in between to bespoke EV van builders. Custom( US Postal, Amazon, UPS) specialty fleets are not mass market. Tesla need only address iGiga advantage best fits for happy outcomes. Let custom firms cater to bespoke one-offs. No man’s made the leap from there to OEM yet.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My first thought at seeing this is pic the same.

Our CT version's of EV can't be everything to all people. There will be other EV models built for the right job.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
reservation for 2 motor Cybertruck, Nissan Leaf, Subau Outback, Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Occupation
programmer
Country flag
The RV I want is a custom coach built on top of a Tesla SEMI. Given that they can cost $0.5 to $1 million, I think $250-300k for the semi, then paying a coach builder another $250-750k seems well within range of the market.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Eventually there will have to be an electric truck that will replace the one ton duallys that pull heavy trailers for farmers, tradesmen, horse people and the RV crowd if the idea is to replace all fossil fuel vehicles with EV's.
If there had been one available I would have replaced the 04 Dodge 3500 dually with it instead of another one ton diesel.
Moving up from one ton you have 2.5, 5 and 10 ton work trucks that do heavier hauling in the Commercial Vehicle range but not as big as a Class 8 tractor.
A single axle Tesla semi would fit a lot of applications and could be a daycab (no sleeper) version.

OP
OP
Rthardison

Rthardison

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This pictures a 1 ton duelly. Tesla doesn’t make that variant. Hitching a Cybertruck to that trailer isn’t a test of the motors. Brakes are another story on an F-150 scale Cybertruck.

Tesla would be foolish to build a 1 ton duelly. Its a gateway drug for beginners and Cheap Charlies’. The former eyeing a pickup doing serious truck work. The latter expecting warranty to pay all the expensive consumables(rotors, spindles, bearings, pads and tires). Both are losing as Tesla would do well to steer clear in the First Place.

Thus, skip 1 ton, go straight to 2.5 ton lorry spec box variant for Commercial use(Fedex, Amazon, UPS, DHL). Tesla should jump customer’s directly to SEMI for Commercial trailer.

Surrendering, of course, NoMan’s territory in between to bespoke EV van builders. Custom( US Postal, Amazon, UPS) specialty fleets are not mass market. Tesla need only address iGiga advantage best fits for happy outcomes. Let custom firms cater to bespoke one-offs. No man’s made the leap from there to OEM yet.
I hope Tesla or someone can fill this no-man’s gap. My hope is for all use cases to have the option and someday requirement to go clean electric. Tesla has the platforms (Cybertruck and Semi). They just need to get married. Haha

OP
OP
Rthardison

Rthardison

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OP
OP
Rthardison

Rthardison

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My first thought at seeing this is pic the same.

Our CT version's of EV can't be everything to all people. There will be other EV models built for the right job.
Yes, but when? I want it now. :)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Actually , now that you've posted 'this' :

Is that just an artist's piece of work, or maybe is it telling us how to design an optimised brick.

The front slant start below the CT gate… and the back edges taper.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Actually , now that you've posted 'this' :

Is that just an artist's piece of work, or maybe is it telling us how to design an optimised brick.

The front slant start below the CT gate… and the back edges taper.
It’s a render, probably done by the same guy who did the weird tent/ kitchen at launch.

CYBERBACKPACK