Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most truck users want to know what is "under the hood". In ICE trucks they want to know the horsepower and the torque.

In EV's it's "what kind of motor and how much torque does it produce".

Since Tesla does not publish power ratings on their motors we have to rely on dynamometers. There are some dyno tests on YT with the Model S.

The Tesla Semi will use the Model 3 motor, the AC Reluctance Motor. I've read where in the dual motor Model 3 the Induction motor is used in the front and the Reluctance motor is used in the rear.

So I'm thinking the Cybertruck will use the AC Reluctance Motor.

The Reluctance Motor used in the Model 3 is an PMSRM-Permanent Magnet Sychronous Reluctance Motor.

There was some speculation that the PMSRM is a "Switched" instead of Synchronous Motor. This was proven wrong after a teardown of the motor revealed imbedded magnets in the rotor.

Tesla Cybertruck What Motor(s) will the Cybertruck use? ACTUAL-Rotor-close-up-with-laminates-3

BMW uses a similar motor in the i3 they call a hybrid synchronous electric motor.

Tesla Cybertruck What Motor(s) will the Cybertruck use? Image 7-20-20 at 12.15 PM

I doubt Tesla will release what kind of motor(s) will be used in the Cybertruck so we won't know until there is a teardown of the motor once someone like Sandy Munro does one.

I have no doubt the Cybertruck will live up to hype and will have TONS of torque!?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I really have no idea what it is other than it has magnets and so is clearly a synchronous machine. Let's call it a PMASRM (Permanent Magnet Assisted Synchronous Reluctance Machine). Only problem I have with that is that I can't see any salience in the stator (which does not mean it is not there).

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Let's call it a PMASRM (Permanent Magnet Assisted Synchronous Reluctance Machine).
Permanent Magnet Assisted Synchronous Reluctance Motor, Permanent Magnet Synchronous Reluctance Motor or simply IPM are all acceptable. It's just how descriptive you want to be.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Since Model 3 uses both an induction and reluctance it's a good guess that the dual motor CT will be similar set up. With the single motor CT being an induction? Does that mean the 3 motor uses 2 reluctance motors? Or do we think the 3 motor is plaid with some other setup?

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since Model 3 uses both an induction and reluctance it's a good guess that the dual motor CT will be similar set up. With the single motor CT being an induction? Does that mean the 3 motor uses 2 reluctance motors? Or do we think the 3 motor is plaid with some other setup?
Good questions. My guess? Single motor CT will use PMSRM. Dual Motor like you said Induction and Reluctance. 3 motors will use Induction in front and 2 PMSRM in rear.

My best guess!! ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Since Tesla does not publish power ratings on their motors we have to rely on dynamometers.
I have neither a CT nor a dyno to put it on. Nonetheless we can WAG some numbers from the specs if we assume a weight. Guessing that that will be about 3000 kg the 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds gives us 27.74 kN thrust just to get the mass up to 60 mph assuming that the acceleration is uniform in those 2.9 seconds. If we assume 50 cm wheels (for easy math) the torque is 55.48 kN-m. Further assuming that peak power is delivered at 60 mph its easy to calculate that at 744.8 kW (just shy of 1000 hp and 1935 A from a 385 V battery). Splitting between 3 motors gives us around 333 hp per motor and about 18 kN-m from each at the wheels. Assuming motor shaft speed of about 8000 rpm at 60 mpH we'd have about 1 kN-m per motor.

I know that's a raft of assumptions but it does give us ball park numbers.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have neither a CT nor a dyno to put it on. Nonetheless we can WAG some numbers from the specs if we assume a weight. Guessing that that will be about 3000 kg the 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds gives us 27.74 kN thrust just to get the mass up to 60 mph assuming that the acceleration is uniform in those 2.9 seconds. If we assume 50 cm wheels (for easy math) the torque is 55.48 kN-m. Further assuming that peak power is delivered at 60 mph its easy to calculate that at 744.8 kW (just shy of 1000 hp and 1935 A from a 385 V battery). Splitting between 3 motors gives us around 333 hp per motor and about 18 kN-m from each at the wheels. Assuming motor shaft speed of about 8000 rpm at 60 mpH we'd have about 1 kN-m per motor.

I still like to see the numbers a dynamometer test gives. The CT will best the production diesels.

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
I think the 3 motor will be plaid and with be like "alien technology" to quote Musk.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag

50cm wheels? the wheels shown are closer to 88.9cm in diameter.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Scale by the ratio. But 17" radius seems kind of small to me, especially for a hefty truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here is a Model S P100D dyno results

Image 7-21-20 at 5.11 AM.jpeg

Source: Tesla Model S Dyno

Do you think the Cybertruck Tri Motor will beat that? Yeah, I think so! ?
I forgot to mention in the video they said there was some slippage during the testing and could have made more HP and Torque without the slippage. The Tesla Model S P100D just couldn't be restrained!

Kinda Like trying to restrain Frankenstein........
Tesla Cybertruck What Motor(s) will the Cybertruck use? 320a9663bc29597e75f2391456a84a4d

Cybertruck will be a monster!

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Good questions. My guess? Single motor CT will use PMSRM. Dual Motor like you said Induction and Reluctance. 3 motors will use Induction in front and 2 PMSRM in rear.

My best guess!! ?
My guess is similar but switched on Dual and Tri. I believe the layout will be more like that of the Raven Model S and X where the front motor is PMSRM and the rear motor is Induction. The Tri will have 2 Induction motors in the rear, or possibly one Induction and one PMSRM in the rear.
Sponsored