Cybertruck wishlist - options or ideas you'd like to see available?

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
Configurable lights, wireless charging, multifunctional tailgate, ...
Programmability of vault tail lights - scanning / running turn signals would be cool - front Off Road light, sequence or flashing patterns for utility vehicles - same feature on third brake light assembly.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
120/240v is still single phase power or single sign wave. It is only the voltage difference in the length of a coil that creates ether 120v or 240v. Three phase power is the voltage difference from each phase being 120 degrees. There are 3 sign waves that are separated from each other by 120 degrees. That is why 3 phase power is 120/208v, 277/480v, 347/600v etc. Billygee do you need 3 phase power or just a higher single phase voltage 240/480v?
Think of a clock. A single phase generator has a coil at noon and another one at 6. Suppose the sweep hand to be a bar magnet with a N pole at one end and S pole at the other. The coils are connected in series. As the N pole swings past a coil it generates a positive voltage (relative to the center connection point) and as a S pole swings by one it generates a negative voltage. Engineers represent each of these voltages as an arrow. The one from the upper coil is like a hand pointed at noon and the other like a hand pointed at 6. The voltage between two points is the distance between them on this diagram. The distance from the tip of one hand to the tip of the other is twice the distance from the center to either tip. Thus the voltage from the common (neutral, white wire) connection to either of the hots (red, black) is 120V (in a 120 V system) but between red and black it is 240 V. Two coils, two phases thus this is a two phase system. But it is a special case of a two phase system. If we don't let you see the white wire (the common point between the two phases) you only see a single circuit and say "What are you talking about? This is a single phase system!" It's only when we expose the common point that the two phase nature of the system becomes clear and so this special case is referred to a "biphase" rather than "two phase". In systems we call "two phase" the second coil is at some angle other than 180° (6 o'clock). One of the reasons for my going into all this was that I thought that readers might be interested in the fact that Nicola Tesla's huge contribution to modern engineering was realizing that a biphase AC motor was a rather simple device relative to a DC motor. The rest is history

Now lets move the coil at 6 o'clock to 4 o'clock making a 120° biphase generator (Tesla started with a 90° system) . We still have 120V from white to red and white to black but now the distance between the tips of the arrows is no longer twice that but sqrt(3) = 1.73205 times that or 207.846V. Those so inclined can draw the diagram (called a phasor diagram) and see this using Pythagrean theorem . Remember him?

Now if we have coils at noon and 4 o'clock, shouldn't we put one at 8 o'clock too? Does the bear poop in the woods? So now we have 3 phasors (the phasor diagram looks like the Mercedes logo) with the voltage between any of the hots and the common being 120 V and between any of the hots 208 V (120/208 system). That's 3 phase power in a nutshell grossly simplified.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
Electrically-charged black-out windows available in Camp Mode.
Tesla should consider it, especially since the car has so much glass.
https://innovativeglasscorp.com/
Auto tinting, half tint if wipers on, no tint at night, manual mode if black out desired.
Auto tint / manual mode off if blue or red lights flashing from behind - gotta be kind to law enforcement.

Ludus

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick SUV
Country flag
How about external air bags that would deploy if the CT sensed it was about to be in a collision. This might mitigate the need for crumple zones.
It would still need crush cans and to be engineered to collapse and it will be (this is much easier without an engine) but I think external airbags are a cool possibility for pedestrian collisions. They might not be like traditional airbags that need to actually have a collision to inflate or need explosive inflation. In CT with it’s air compressor and an air tank, the AP might predict a pedestrian collision and inflate the airbag in anticipation of the impact. It might actually be reusable and justify tolerance of false positives.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
Think of a clock. A single phase generator has a coil at noon and another one at 6. Suppose the sweep hand to be a bar magnet with a N pole at one end and S pole at the other. The coils are connected in series. As the N pole swings past a coil it generates a positive voltage (relative to the center connection point) and as a S pole swings by one it generates a negative voltage. Engineers represent each of these voltages as an arrow. The one from the upper coil is like a hand pointed at noon and the other like a hand pointed at 6. The voltage between two points is the distance between them on this diagram. The distance from the tip of one hand to the tip of the other is twice the distance from the center to either tip. Thus the voltage from the common (neutral, white wire) connection to either of the hots (red, black) is 120V (in a 120 V system) but between red and black it is 240 V. Two coils, two phases thus this is a two phase system. But it is a special case of a two phase system. If we don't let you see the white wire (the common point between the two phases) you only see a single circuit and say "What are you talking about? This is a single phase system!" It's only when we expose the common point that the two phase nature of the system becomes clear and so this special case is referred to a "biphase" rather than "two phase". In systems we call "two phase" the second coil is at some angle other than 180° (6 o'clock). One of the reasons for my going into all this was that I thought that readers might be interested in the fact that Nicola Tesla's huge contribution to modern engineering was realizing that a biphase AC motor was a rather simple device relative to a DC motor. The rest is history

Now lets move the coil at 6 o'clock to 4 o'clock making a 120° biphase generator (Tesla started with a 90° system) . We still have 120V from white to red and white to black but now the distance between the tips of the arrows is no longer twice that but sqrt(3) = 1.73205 times that or 207.846V. Those so inclined can draw the diagram (called a phasor diagram) and see this using Pythagrean theorem . Remember him?

Now if we have coils at noon and 4 o'clock, shouldn't we put one at 8 o'clock too? Does the bear poop in the woods? So now we have 3 phasors (the phasor diagram looks like the Mercedes logo) with the voltage between any of the hots and the common being 120 V and between any of the hots 208 V (120/208 system). That's 3 phase power in a nutshell grossly simplified.

Grossly simplified? Residential 3 phase that I've seen have the normal two 120s (to ground) that are 180 out of phase of each other. (opposite sine waves). Then there is a third 208 leg (to ground) that is 90 degrees out from each (shifted in time 1/240 seconds). The line-to-line voltage between any two lines is 240V. (Yes--like from the Pythagorean if you draw a phasor diagram). (I don't think I'd understand it unless I studied engineering but maybe others find it easy)

Last edited:

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Grossly simplified? Residential 3 phase that I've seen have the normal two 120s (to ground) that are 180 out of phase of each other. (opposite sine waves). Then there is a third 208 leg (to ground) that is 90 degrees out from each (shifted in time 1/240 seconds). The line-to-line voltage between any two lines is 240V. (Yes--like from the Pythagorean if you draw a phasor diagram). (I don't think I'd understand it unless I studied engineering but maybe others find it easy)
What you are seeing is a 120/240/208(bastard leg)v three phase. In this case you get 120v phase to neutral on 2 phases. You also get 240v when you measure the voltage on the phase to phase and 208v on the last phase. This has to do with the connection at the transformers. It is a way to give a voltage that lets you have 120v for single phase power, and also 3 phase power to run motors. It is an older system and most utilities will not give to new customers however will still maintain these services for existing customers.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck wishlist - options or ideas you'd like to see available? C3CC992C-679F-4DD2-B3B9-FFE63FB10798

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
This is a 120v 208v three phase.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck wishlist - options or ideas you'd like to see available? F69E4503-EBAD-43FB-8673-D1AC03B4C5DF

2Futre4u

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor LR 2019 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Trailboss 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Country flag
Heated seats and heated steering wheel since it's too big to fit in the garage...

While I agree with your requests, I currently have a 2019 Silverado trail boss with crew cab and "Regular Bed" (6'9"), my dimensions are larger than the CT and my garage is not huge... And my truck fits in there now. I wouldnt worry.

OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
How about a "Tesla coil mode". It would be cool if the truck could throw lightning bolts out of its stainless exoskeleton while you are driving down the road. Or, you could shove a couple wool blankets up in the fender wells transforming the whole truck into a Van der Graaf generator. Just be careful when you step out!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Infrared or thermal camera's to help detect animals, specifically large animals like deer. If this truck if for county folk, then deer are more of a problem than traffic.
To make clear my understanding, are you interested in a visual thermal display, maybe in a HUD?

Wondering aloud, what is the night vision capability for the current cameras? I assume the forward radar will stop the vehicle if dinner jumps in front of the truck. Not sure if the surrounding cameras can penetrate unlit roads.

Wattson

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Occupation
Machine Vision AI
Country flag
How about a “mid-gate?” Like a tailgate but a drop-down gate behind the rear seats that separates the bed from the cab. If there was a mid-gate you’d potentially have a longer bed when needed. I’m picturing something like my old K5 tailgate...the window rolls down inside the mid-gate. Then, the mid gate can be dropped down. The back seats could be folded flat, or folded forward to make a much longer bed. To top it all off, if it was all flat with the bed when folded down that would make it so easy to camp in, and you could haul very long items like 8’ lumber.

Wattson

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Occupation
Machine Vision AI
Country flag
  1. Flat-folding mid-gate as mentioned above or some sort of pass through at least.
  2. HUD or a screen behind the steering wheel. I’d miss that after trading in my Model S.
  3. Heated/cooled vented seats, heated steering wheel
  4. Round steering wheel. The yoke style steering wheel only lets you put your hands at 9 and 3. Plus if you’re a big fella your legs or knees might prevent the yoke from rotating enough to make a sharp turn, not good.
  5. Built in wiring for an aftermarket trailer brake controller of our own choosing.
  6. Automatic braking to avoid deer or pedestrians. I assume the latter will come with FSD, when that becomes a reality, but it’d be nice to avoid CT damage from deer or other large animals too.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
To make clear my understanding, are you interested in a visual thermal display, maybe in a HUD?

Wondering aloud, what is the night vision capability for the current cameras? I assume the forward radar will stop the vehicle if dinner jumps in front of the truck. Not sure if the surrounding cameras can penetrate unlit roads.
I have certainly heard of other Tesla's hitting deer. I doubt if radar looking forward will catch deer near the side of the road, and I'm sure normal camera's will not pick them up if it's dark. In the end, I want a deer prof truck, I want to know if deer are a 180 arc 100 ft or so ahead of my truck, and I would like AI to realize that deer do deer things, like run parallel to your truck and then do a 90 degree turn into your truck.