What should I expect by way of delivery procedure?

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Assuming I live long enough to hear that my CT is about ready, what will the procedure be? (I've not bought a Tesla before.)

For instance, there's a Tesla service facility in my town in Ontario. Is that where it will be offloaded?

Will I get to specify options? Might that affect the timing? How will I forward the money (less the $150)? Any chance Tesla will offer to insure it, and if not, will they provide me in advance with what my insurer will need to know? Do I get the registration and licence plates or does Tesla? How will I get instructed on how to operate it?
Sponsored

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
Assuming I live long enough to hear that my CT is about ready, what will the procedure be? (I've not bought a Tesla before.)

For instance, there's a Tesla service facility in my town in Ontario. Is that where it will be offloaded?

Will I get to specify options? Might that affect the timing? How will I forward the money (less the $150)? Any chance Tesla will offer to insure it, and if not, will they provide me in advance with what my insurer will need to know? Do I get the registration and licence plates or does Tesla? How will I get instructed on how to operate it?
You’ll receive an email and/or call when is time to configure your CT (you’ll choose your options online). This shouldn't cause a delay unless an option you want is not available until later, such as with the Model Y, 7-seat configuration and short range are not available yet, etc.

Your local SC will most likely be the location you pick up your CT from. You'll typically bring a check with you to pay off the vehicle, if you go with a loan (like I did for our Model X) your financial institution will priority mail you a check.

Tesla currently only offers insurance in California to my knowledge, but are expected to expand. You'll have a VIN number assigned before you take delivery and can get your 3rd party insurance taken care of just before delivery.

For me, license plates were mailed to me. I think it's different state to state, country to country.

Tesla has recently started offering training classroom events, but I have not attended one yet. They also have video tutorials on their site they will likely send an e-mail to you for.

Hope this helps!

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
The process for us in BC Canada was super smooth. We ordered it online with the configuration we wanted. Within two weeks they called and said it was ready to pick up at the Tesla Service Centre (SC). Due to our personal schedule we couldn't pick up for a week. By e-mail we were able to reschedule pick up date. We brought a cheque to pay for it. Insurance paperwork was done at the same place. Car was brought around, we were given a brief 10 minute tutorial, they put on our plates and we were out. From start to finish we were there maybe 45 mins.
The absolute best part of it, the best part, no mangers/sales people going back and forth dicking around prices, add-ons, extra, fees, etc. You couldn't have bought floor mats or a roof rack if you wanted to. All accessories are done after or before online and delivered to your door.
To top if of they gave each of our girls (5yrs and 7yrs) a toy model 3 car. Everyone was more than happy.
All that and we even had a trade in, value of determined before hand online.
We drove down the road thinking did that just happen....

King Richard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra 1794
Occupation
Helicopter Pilot
Country flag
The process for us in BC Canada was super smooth. We ordered it online with the configuration we wanted. Within two weeks they called and said it was ready to pick up at the Tesla Service Centre (SC). Due to our personal schedule we couldn't pick up for a week. By e-mail we were able to reschedule pick up date. We brought a cheque to pay for it. Insurance paperwork was done at the same place. Car was brought around, we were given a brief 10 minute tutorial, they put on our plates and we were out. From start to finish we were there maybe 45 mins.
The absolute best part of it, the best part, no mangers/sales people going back and forth dicking around prices, add-ons, extra, fees, etc. You couldn't have bought floor mats or a roof rack if you wanted to. All accessories are done after or before online and delivered to your door.
To top if of they gave each of our girls (5yrs and 7yrs) a toy model 3 car. Everyone was more than happy.
Thank you for your message. I live in Courtenay and have ordered a Cybertruck. It's great to know a little more about the procedure that will take place when it happens. Also, thanks for mentioning of the trade-in. Did you drop it off when you picked up your model 3? I would appreciate any details you are willing to share about the trade-in procedure.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I totally agree with you about the very best part.....no managers/sales people dicking around on anything! Looking forward to experiencing it first hand.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Thank you for your message. I live in Courtenay and have ordered a Cybertruck. It's great to know a little more about the procedure that will take place when it happens. Also, thanks for mentioning of the trade-in. Did you drop it off when you picked up your model 3? I would appreciate any details you are willing to share about the trade-in procedure.
For the Island the pickup location is downtown Vancouver service centre. Definetly nothing fancy, just a parking lot with a bunch of worked off there feet Tesla employees in an office. Yes we did drop off our trade in when picking up the Model 3. We had an older Subaru Forester as trade. It was starting to leak oil had a few dings and honestly just wanted it gone. So to avoid headache of selling privately and it possibly coming back we decided to trade it in. During the purchase process online you make a Tesla account, they give you a few options, financing through Tesla, payment by cheque and trade in. If your trading in a vehicle they ask you to take a bunch of pictures, provide the VIN and copy of ownership paper work and upload it all online. They then get back to you with their offer by e-mail/your Tesla account, which you can accept or decline. We got basically nothing for our Subaru, but like i said we just wanted it gone.
On pick up day we drove in with our fully loaded Subaru as we were going on vacation. hard to believe but after moving everything to the model 3, including two kids bikes, we still had room to spare. This kind of threw the staff there as they like to move the trade in off the lot quickly (not a huge lot and lots of customers at the time, they actually don't have your vehicle there when you get there, they bring it from another lot as your doing paperwork) but we needed to get paperwork done. I'd recommend against coming fully loaded just for efficiencies sake. Anyway as above, went very smooth, trade in was super simple.

Last edited:

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3. Honda Interceptor Suzuki Boulavard
Country flag

I live on the outskirts of London 50 kilometers from you. I had to go to Oshawa to receive my Model 3 as Waterloo didn't have a tesla store 2 years ago. I am sure you will be able to take delivery from your local store. To answer your questions from my experience::
1) 2 months before vehicle was to be delivered I received a call from Tesla Canada, I specified and confirmed all options. Tesla asked me to pay a non refundable deposit of $5000.oo Canadian to confirm my order and delivery.
2) A Tesla rep called me 2 weeks before delivery and set up an appointment for me to take delivery. Tesla provided the vin # and had me contact my insurance carrier to provide a letter of proof of insurance with my policy number.
3) I had a certified cheque from my financial institution to give to the salesperson. When I signed the ownership transfer they gave me the ownership and at that point they proceeded to put the Plates that they provided on my car.
4) At that point the Gentleman who looked after the paperwork Took me out to the car and synchronized my phone to operate the car, then gave me a 15 minute lesson on the operation of the Tesla.

All in time at the dealership that day was less than 45 minutes. The only snag was they failed to include the price of the plates and license sticker in the payment I had on the certified cheque that I brought with me.
I paid that difference with a credit card as the store did not want to do a cash transaction
I have purchased 4 new vehicle's from dealerships in my lifetime and dealing with Tesla was an absolute pleasure compared to the crap dealt to me from both Dodge and GM dealerships in the past. Good luck with your new truck.

Randy

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Two years from now, who knows what the details of the procedure will be. A little over a year ago I took delivery on one. There were several text messages that informed me when the delivery was to be made and the date got pushed out some. This was an inventory vehicle and I expect the uncertainties were due to transport considerations. It was delivered to my house even though the store is less than 5 mi away.

About a month ago I bought another (just had to have Raven). At the time the order was placed the web page indicated that delivery to the house was not yet available in my area which both I and the sales guy found amusing as it was he who had delivered the first one to my house. Two weeks after placing the order I received a text message indicting that the vehicle was in transport (from the factory this time) and asking me to schedule delivery which I did with the app (I think). At the scheduled time we went to the store, dropped off the old one and drove home in the new.

OP
OP

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Thanks guys -- that's helpful indeed.

King Richard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra 1794
Occupation
Helicopter Pilot
Country flag
Thank you very much for the info. I like to be organized so this sure helps.

Gord

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 SD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Thanks for this info may see you on the hwy

Matt Hanrath

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck RN112913462, Hummer, and a Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired HVAC Tech
Country flag
The most important step, when contacted, state “I give my order priority to John K if he has not received his CT yet.”

Very important step.
Offer $ to get up higher on the waiting list.
Compare order #'s of course first.
"Ontario CB Club?"
I wonder if we can get a parade going on a road trip to Port dover every Friday the 13th.

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
You’ll receive an email and/or call when is time to configure your CT (you’ll choose your options online). This shouldn't cause a delay unless an option you want is not available until later, such as with the Model Y, 7-seat configuration and short range are not available yet, etc.

Your local SC will most likely be the location you pick up your CT from. You'll typically bring a check with you to pay off the vehicle, if you go with a loan (like I did for our Model X) your financial institution will priority mail you a check.

Tesla currently only offers insurance in California to my knowledge, but are expected to expand. You'll have a VIN number assigned before you take delivery and can get your 3rd party insurance taken care of just before delivery.

For me, license plates were mailed to me. I think it's different state to state, country to country.

Tesla has recently started offering training classroom events, but I have not attended one yet. They also have video tutorials on their site they will likely send an e-mail to you for.

Hope this helps!
Great info thanks
Sponsored