What steering wheel would you like to see?

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
It would definitely be more comfortable and less messy with the dash. If I remember correctly SAAB 9000 did that. How would you deal with the question of what do I do with my left hand?
The stick can also serve as the accelerator moving fore and aft, and turning left or right by the obvious. The farther back against resistance the faster in reverse, and the converse forward for forward motion. Learning curve is flatter than that for a zero-turn radius mower and a joy to operate compared to the doldrums of an old fashioned tractor type mower. Elon should prototype one. He is missing an opportunity here I think. I don't know everything, but I do know Jim Bede's side stick BD5 was a joy compared to conventional thinking. It definitely would be "out of the box" thinking. Ask the few who have flown BD5's and not just the trainer like I did. Might be a fed issue but still a dream to operate. Worked wonderfully in flight.
Sponsored

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
The stick can also serve as the accelerator moving fore and aft, and turning left or right by the obvious. The farther back against resistance the faster in reverse, and the converse forward for forward motion. Learning curve is flatter than that for a zero-turn radius mower and a joy to operate compared to the doldrums of an old fashioned tractor type mower. Elon should prototype one. He is missing an opportunity here I think. I don't know everything, but I do know Jim Bede's side stick BD5 was a joy compared to conventional thinking. It definitely would be "out of the box" thinking. Ask the few who have flown BD5's and not just the trainer like I did. Might be a fed issue but still a dream to operate. Worked wonderfully in flight

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The stick can also serve as the accelerator moving fore and aft, and turning left or right by the obvious. The farther back against resistance the faster in reverse, and the converse forward for forward motion. Learning curve is flatter than that for a zero-turn radius mower and a joy to operate compared to the doldrums of an old fashioned tractor type mower. Elon should prototype one. He is missing an opportunity here I think. I don't know everything, but I do know Jim Bede's side stick BD5 was a joy compared to conventional thinking. It definitely would be "out of the box" thinking. Ask the few who have flown BD5's and not just the trainer like I did. Might be a fed issue but still a dream to operate. Worked wonderfully in flight.
the risk is folks that grew up playing video games may go on autopilot and forget there is no game over on this one.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Nope. Infinity Q50 had fly by wire. It had a mechanical back up system in case the system failed... they recalled it because it could fail in cold weather and the concern was that the same cold would delay the mechanical linkage from engaging. While in drive by wire the mechanical linkage was not connected. This car was sold and driven in the USA.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I don't think it really needs a backup system... commercial flights are OK to put 100s of people on them and drive at 200 miles an hour without mechanical linkage... of course they also require a huge runway with no one in the way...

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
It's easy to say what can't be done if you limit yourself to what you know (kind of like the sideview mirror arguments). Hopefully, the CT will be way beyond that. In the old days, the Navy F-4 aircraft had single-gain nose wheel steering which was designed for tight maneuvering on a carrier deck and therefore couldn't be used for landing because it was way too sensitive. But the F-16 has a beautiful progressive gain that feels right doing a tight corner at a few mph or tracking the centerline at 150. WIth the right smarts, I, too, would be happy with a joystick with drive-by-wire that commanded turn radius at low speeds or small deflections at high speeds and lateral G for higher stick force/deflections at higher speeds. And I don't need a dang pedal on the floor, incorporate the fore/aft joystick movements into the smart cruise control throttle and braking logic. But I know that's a step too far for now so I'll be satisfied with the CT yoke steering wheel. #in_Elon_I_trust

Last edited:

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't want any steering wheel! #FSDawwyeeeah

I I have to have one, I really love the M3 wheel.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I don't think it really needs a backup system... commercial flights are OK to put 100s of people on them and drive at 200 miles an hour without mechanical linkage... of course they also require a huge runway with no one in the way...
They might not have a mechanical backup system but they sure have backups. Fly-by-wire flight control systems are typically tri or quad-redundant with progressively less-capable backup failure modes.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
They might not have a mechanical backup system but they sure have backups. Fly-by-wire flight control systems are typically tri or quad-redundant with progressively less-capable backup failure modes.
No doubt! I didn't mean to suggest that aircraft don't need a backup system... they travel much faster and have shit brakes. I certainly want a drive by wire to have fault monitors and a back up control system. What I'm saying is I don't think mechanical linkage should be that backup system.

OP
OP
Gvardaman

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I was thinking of the proportional steering being speed-dependent. As stated above, if you are going at highway speed, you don’t want to suddenly make a sharp right turn. If you are making a U-turn, you are likely going 20mph or less, depending on how much space you have.
I like the idea of a joystick, I always seem to picture something like the viper control stick from the old “Battlestar: Galactica”, lol!

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I don't know what to think really. So best to give my real input would be after the new S test drive to as close to the CT. Or even better a test drive in the CT. In either case may take some time..

OP
OP
Gvardaman

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
True, I think now that there are cars starting to appear with a steering yoke, we will start to hear some real world feedback for actual driving.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Well, the kind of steering wheel I'd like to see is THE KIND THAT'S BETWEEN MY FINGERS RIGHT NOW! ARRRRRRRRGH! I can't take it no more! Gimme my Cybertruck already! Before I blow a 50 amp fuse!!! ?
(Blows a 50 amp fuse)
Sponsored