Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The one and only issue I might have with it is the suspension. It's 99% going to have double wishbone suspension front and rear (IFS/IRS) with that air ride setup. That's great for most individuals and what most people do off road. Unfortunately if you are into more "high speed" off roading ( "Ford Raptor style") then you know how important suspension upgrades can be (like large aftermarket shocks , hydraulic bump stops, wider long travel aftermarket suspension parts, stronger CV joins...). I'm sure it will be no worse than something like a stock Tacoma or full size truck now days. the only difference is it will be harder or not possible, to upgrade to a real coil over type shock (from Bilstein, Fox, King, Icon) which can be done easily for current trucks (bolt on upgrade). For how heavy the cyber truck is going to be I would think a minimum of a 3.0" diameter coli over per wheel with remote reservoir(if not duel shock setup, coil over + bypass shock) is needed. Also just based off suspension pictures and basic laws of suspension geometry (and CV angles) the cyber should have about 8" of total wheel travel . I am not talking about adjusting ride height at all. Total wheel travel. That's not very much wheel travel for a heavy truck trying to go 25-40 mph through some woops in the desert. It's going to bottom out hard. Another negative point for high speed off roading is the air spring. That's not so great because shocks can reach up to 300-400* F under heavy use. All that heat also goes into the air spring and will totally mess up with the air rides spring rate (hot gas = higher pressure) . Absolutely no one uses air suspension in off road racing or rally. maybe some light weight sand rails use them but over all not good at all for "go fast off roading".

Even if you wanted to install long travel suspension due to the stainless steel unibody it would be impossible to make the fenders wider and make shock mounts on the chassis. Unless you are good at welding stainless?

Other than being slow and lame in the desert, I have no other issues with the truck. Should do everything else great! If you don't live in So Cal, NV or AZ then it shouldn't bother you . But if you have access to desert trails and actually use your truck off road, maybe just haul out your side-by-side, prerunner truck or sand car with the cybertruck instead lol.
I am sure people will come up with aftermarket stuff but it won't be as robust as current body on frame type trucks. The CT will have large aluminum castings that house the suspension parts. Trying to modify a large aluminum casting to accommodate larger suspension parts is going to be much more of a challenge than modifying a steel tube frame on a typical truck. In your case i would worry more about damaging the structural battery pack with all that torsion and bending that "high speed" off roading will force on the pack. If you somehow manage to cause a separation between the cells and the upper and lower plate it would be a crazy costly repair. This is a new technology so the capabilities are yet to be seen, but I imagine that having a solid frame where the batteries more or less float inside the structural members would lend toward more stress being able to be applied without risking the battery integrity.
Sponsored

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
NOTHING, SHORT OF DEATH -CYBERTRUCKS OR MINE- WILL KEEP ME FROM MY CYBERFUTURE.

?

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Been a couple months since this has been discussed and with the pending news coming next week, it will be interesting to see if any of the concerns discussed in this thread will receive any kind of attention or clarity.

I reread through the thread and here's the Cliff Notes version of concerns in no particular order.

1) Prices and to a much lesser degree the fed credit on EVs
2) Time to delivery...seems to be a lot of concern about dying before being able to take delivery
3) Options and their associated price...in particular, the possibility of a midgate
4) Insurance cost and Inferred that to also mean Tesla Insurance availability
5) Overall dimensions and bed length dimensions
6) EPA Range
7) Towing Range
8)Will 35s be stock...or how much will 35s effect the range if 32s are stock
9) Is a "Cybervan" coming "soon"
10) Competition that's competitive
11) Significantly better battery tech then the 4680 just a few years away (i.e. will "solid state" batteries become reality in the next few years)
12) 4680 battery warranty
13) Structural battery serviceability (Can it be repaired or is replacement the only option...or is that not even an option)
14) Poor fit and finish
15) Integrated full size spare
16) Suspension upgradability
17) Ability to attach racks
18) Overseas availability/Export restrictions
19) Must have seating for 6...or conversely, front buckets seats availability (see #3 above)
20) Ability to handle soft beach sand driving (maybe the concern is that the truck will be to heavy to do this well)
Nice summary. Thanks! Saved me the time of pouring over the whole thread.

I guess I fall into the #10 + #6 categories.

If someone comes out with a reasonable electric truck sooner than Tesla that has decent range (300+ miles), I'd probably go for that. Then maybe a few years down the line trade up for the best offering out there, be it a CT or something else.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Short version:
If you intend on purchasing today, and knowing what we know today and what we don't know yet; when the final product and pricing is revealed, what would prevent you from making the purchase?

Extended read:
I reserved a CT3 w/FSD.
I have a list of questions I 'm curious about, (but don't really care all that much about), a list I care about that will make me more or less inclined to purchase, and a short list of concerns that would prevent me from making the purchase.

I'm curious about...
-What is the battery size?
-Will it have side view mirrors?
-Is the tailgate ramp standard or optional? Price if optional?
-V2H or V2G or V2V options?
-Will it have a mid-gate? Standard or optional? Price if optional?
-Is that full glass roof standard or optional? Price if optional?
-How much is that camping package option they show and can I still use the bed for doing truck things with that package onboard?
-Can the purchase be delayed? If my number come up, and I don't want to make the purchase, can I delay by 6 months or a year. Really only curious about this because I'm about 90k inline for the truck...whatever that means. I'm personally not expecting delivery until late next year. Maybe it will be summer time or even spring...I don't know. I'm retiring from active duty in Oct next year. It would be good to know I secured a follow on job prior to spending my savings for this truck. Ideally, I retire, I get a job, I receive the notification to finalize my CT order.

I care about...
-What is it's actual wheel travel? I know we saw 20" recently posted, but that is so far beyond even a Raptor's spec travel, that I don't believe it until I see it in the actual CT specs.
-What is it's RTI? Not usually a spec released by the company. We probably won't know this until a youtuber posts his/her review.
-What is its turning radius? This should be a Tesla released spec. Some of the videos we've seen make it look like absolute trash. It has to be inline with the Raptor or better. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty terrible (With the 4 wheel steering announcement I'm no longer concerned about the turning radius, but I'm still interested in what it is.) because I think it has a longer wheelbase while being the same length of an F150 (which helps it for the approach and depart angles but hurts it for turning radius and and breakover angle...which the CT compensates for with the massive 16" of clearance. But that clearance does not help with the turning radius. It's going to need a ton of wheel angle range.)
-Is the solar panel cover standard or optional? What's the price if it's an option and how much range does it provide or how much phantom loss does it replenish?
(These next two are danger close to falling onto my next list)
-Are 35's standard or optional and if it's an option, how much will they effect the range...hoping there is an EPA stated range for them if it's an option. If it is an option I just can't imagine the range is 500+ with them. Which means I'd be purchasing the CT3 without 35s which makes me far far less excited.
-Is the interior we've seen the final product? Frankly, I don't like it. It doesn't need to be fancy (ie, Platinum, Laramie, etc...but XLT, Longhorn would be good) What storage is there around the driver and passengers...yes, cupholders and storage matter.

But most importantly, I need to know the following or it will prevent my purchase.
-What is it's EPA range? 500 is the bare minimum. If it's exactly 500 I have a decision to make. I'm not overly concerned with this one as I think the EPA range will be over 500 miles...but that might be with 32" hwy tires. I need it to have 500 miles with at least 32" AT tires. Again, not too concerned but if it turns out I'll only get 499 with 32" ATs, I'm out.
-How much will the insurance be? If it nullifies my fuel saving or significantly cuts into the money saved from buying fuel vs my current cost to insure my F150 $77/mo), it makes the premium price not yet justifiable (for me). Today, I feel like I need to see the payback for the premium I'm paying in under 15 years. By "premium" I'm talking about what I'd normally be spending on a new to me, 2 year old used truck vs the brand new CT. If I'd normally buy a used truck for say $35k (this would be a new high for me) and I'm spending ~ $76k on this new CT then the premium is $41k. Between fuel saving and insurance rates, and yes additional maintenance savings because EVs have so fewer moving parts, (but maybe go through tires faster) I need to save $41k over 15 years. This is going to be a wag, but if the wag seems too far off, it will prevent me from making the purchase. The simple math is that I am going to have to save about $225/mo buying this truck vs something else, when I only drive about 15k miles a year. My electrical rates are $0.105/kWh and gas is currently about $3.50/gal here. So right now I spend about $368/mo on gas and insurance. I estimate spending about $65/mo in electricity from home with the CT (assuming 100% of my charging is at home). I feel like the insurance is going to be more then $128/mo for this CT. Making the premium payback over 15 years.
-Depending on how that immediate concern get answered I may need an answer on the tax incentive. Right now, we don't get one. If one is established it could sway the numbers back in favor of the purchase.

So what say you? No tax incentive, no purchase? No midgate, no purchase? No V2?, no purchase? No change to the interior, no purchase? Just curious.
As I approach my 70th birthday in 1 year 4 months, the only thing that would change my mind is if I croak before I receive notification that my reserved CyberTruck is available or there is a wildly significant price increase for the base model.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
As I approach my 70th birthday in 1 year 4 months, the only thing that would change my mind is if I croak before I receive notification that my reserved CyberTruck is available or there is a wildly significant price increase for the base model.
Hang in there buddy.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Range needs to be 450-500.
Needs some form of power output for tools, off grid cabin, and emergency home power (min 2000w output).

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightng Lariat ER, 2014 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Only if they don't build it!!!

Cybercamper-BC

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, 1500 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Software Testing Engineer, forced retirement
Country flag
We purchased a truck camper that fits on my wife's 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd crew cab with a 6.5 foot bed. It looked like it would fit on the CT. If the bed of the CT gets shortened so some city slickers who want to put it in some suburban garage that isn't big enough for a real truck, then we will definitely reconsider. Really want this camper to fit on our new truck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Others mentioned. Any significant price change throws a lot of question marks.

I was sold on the value of this truck. If it turns into a toy for rich people, it becomes a lot less appealing. Even if circumstances make it so I can afford it.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Horse owners thought cars were toys.

The Cybertruck, is hyped and supported by a lot of Geeks.

Just like the TSLA stock price.

But there is a reason...beyond the hype and the Geeks, is a product which will be will deliver the best value for money, and exceed customer expectations.

TSLA will be the biggest company in the World, and if anyone doesn’t cotton on yet… They are about to witness another product which will be the best in its category.

It's hard to fathom haw a company can get everything exceptional, and keep going !!!!! But we are seeing it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Hummer was hyped.

They bought a damned Super Ball advert. The but slapping baller fans go ape over that.

The Cybertruck was just a little thing a few nerds saw. It is popular not because it was hyped but because to this day 8 out of 10 people don’t believe what comes out of Austin will meet the expectations set at launch day.

danofcolo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was lucky and was able to place an order for a Ford F-150 Lightning which should be delivered this summer. If I really love it I might not get the Cybertruck. At this point I am still planning on getting the CT so I can do a side by side comparison.
Sponsored