CyBrNrD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
In the bigger scheme of things, and with no investment interest, what value do we see in keeping our place in line seeming as everyone starts from scratch in features anyway?
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
In the bigger scheme of things, and with no investment interest, what value do we see in keeping our place in line seeming as everyone starts from scratch in features anyway?

Many here believe that Tesla will honor it's original pricing for reservation holders so aside from timing, if that is true, there may be some value in holding the reservation.

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
Many here believe that Tesla will honor it's original pricing for reservation holders so aside from timing, if that is true, there may be some value in holding the reservation.
Tesla only stated that FSD price would be locked in. The buyer's agreement even stated that Tesla has the right to change the price.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla only stated that FSD price would be locked in. The buyer's agreement even stated that Tesla has the right to change the price.
This is not about a legal obligation by Tesla and I didn't say I was one of them. Those that hold that belief, do it due to past practice by Tesla. Even though, I personally think it is not likely, I still think it is possible and $100 is not large enough funds for me to dismiss that possibility.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
What price would any OEV pay right now to have 1.5 million back order log? That is the value of your $100 RN cumulative.

EM would be kicking 1.5 million people in the teeth for the gift horse that is waiting in Teslas’ stables.

…@rizvend you will best see what you are missing by cancelling that Cybertruck order

OP
OP
rizvend

rizvend

First Name
CyBrNrD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
I just hope it's not inflationary price. LoL.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just hope ot's not inflationary price. LoL.
OT?

If it cost significantly more to build a CT, it will be priced more or it will not be built at all. Tesla won't sell it at a loss. But if inflation gets out of hand and keeps going, a more expensive CT still may be a deal a few years down the road. In that case, you can make up the loss of value in your $100. Right now my sport car is selling for 50% to 90% higher than I paid for it. Time is not always the enemy.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
It has been two years since the reservations opened. Two years of lottery tickets, losing lottery tickets, costs far more than $100. This refundable amount holds my place in line. I hold no illusions that a corporation will honor an price stated two years ago. I see the price tag of the Rivian, the Ford, and the Tesla versus the attributes. Even at a competitive price, the Cybertruck is a far better value for the price. If Tesla does honor the original price for those who reserved, the value is far greater, still, than any other manufacturer. The bed size is capable of dimensional materials, the versatility of the ride height, self load leveling and access functionality, and effortless durability of the body, are all designed for continuous use. The range, based on Tesla's historical estimates, is reliably far greater than any other. The technology in the Tesla is far more reliable and updated regularly. The charging network is reliable, continuously added to, less complicated, and not beholden to a third party's additive profit margin.
What is the worth of my $100? Priceless.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have no idea if Tesla is going to bump prices or not, but I think this defeatist attitude about it is silly.

You are suggesting it’s inevitable that Tesla will do something which:
  • Tesla has not done under similar circumstances (Model 3 margins were terrible originally but they honored Model 3 pricing promises).
  • Tesla’s competitors who are selling a similar product have not done. Rivian launched before the Cybertruck and is for sale right now at the same price they announced it at.
It’s certainly possible. Inevitable? I can’t see why anyone would say that. Particularly not since Tesla is almost certain to have better margins than Rivian.

OP
OP
rizvend

rizvend

First Name
CyBrNrD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
I have no idea if Tesla is going to bump prices or not, but I think this defeatist attitude about it is silly.

You are suggesting it’s inevitable that Tesla will do something which:
  • Tesla has not done under similar circumstances (Model 3 margins were terrible originally but they honored Model 3 pricing promises).
  • Tesla’s competitors who are selling a similar product have not done. Rivian launched before the Cybertruck and is for sale right now at the same price they announced it at.
It’s certainly possible. Inevitable? I can’t see why anyone would say that. Particularly not since Tesla is almost certain to have better margins than Rivian.
How is it defeatist? It's a broad question. Lighten up.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How is it defeatist? It's a broad question. Lighten up.
I was referring more to some other comments.

I’m not even entirely sure what your question is referring to.

Were you talking about making a new reservation today? If so then you are buying a place in line.

Mrp911

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I would say more features such as quad motor and 4 wheel steering will require more money. That’s the way things work. Higher costs higher price.
People should be able to modify their orders but place in line will change to match build timing of the model ordered and probably some consideration for overall order original place in line. At least by then FSD Beta will be much more evolved. I want the 500+ mile range and would value that over extra motors above AWD.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The changes may be Tesla's "excuse" to save face when they announce a price increase.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Late reservations are worth $100. Early reservations mature first weeks deliveries begin. It is when the must have now crowd are willing to make side deals on your pending early reservation number.

johnbeans

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 RWD, Y AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm assuming your reservation holds your place in line for whatever build you specify.

So the initial priority will be those who chose the quad motor and have the earliest reservation numbers.

Then the priority (if it follows past releases) might be geographic during the quarter. For Model 3, priority was given to orders reasonably near the factory first (up and down the west coast first, then right near the factory at the end of the quarter). Maybe they will get away from this for CT, who knows.

They also batched paint colors, but CT has no paint, so that can't apply (unless they do black, I suppose).
Sponsored