Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Radtech
Country flag
This is my first Tesla purchase so I have no assumptions of how this works going forward as we wait for a few years. I was hoping that one of you that have been through the whole pre-order process can explain what to expect over the next few years.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Have a quick look over just this forum and for broader persepective one of the other Tesla fora. You can expect a couple of years of speculation, some of it pretty wild, some not so much so, as to what the vehicle which will eventually be delivered to you may actually be like. You will also see lots of rumors and some leaks about things like where the trucks will be built, which part vendors have received orders, the progress of the German mega factory etc. Eventually you will hear from Tesla that it is time to configure your truck i.e. pick the options that you could not specify when you reserved such as interior trim, how fancy you want the audio system to be etc. Who knows how that will be done? Probably the big push will be to get you to do it on line but who knows, maybe you will be able to go to a store and actually see or test drive one of these things and then complete your order. And plunk down more than $100 to hold it. At this time you will be asked to establish an online account if you don't have one.

One fine day you will get an email telling you that your truck will be delivered to your home on a certain date between specified hours and that you need to arrange to pay for it. The only mechanism I am aware of at this point is ACH via your online account. A few days later you will get another e-mail saying that the truck will not be delivered Tuesday but rather next month and must be picked up at the dealership. A few days later you will get another e-mail changing the delivery date again. Etc. We hope that by the time they start actually delivering CT's they will have ironed out a lot of these kinks in the delivery process. Eventually you will get your truck. Exactly how depends on where you are. If, for example, you are in a state where Tesla cannot sell it will be brought to you on a flat bed truck by a third party shipping company.

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Question (which I hope is on the right forum)

Some of those marvelous drone-camera flyovers end with something like, Mention me and you'll get a discount.

Really? Discount? Why? What's this about? Mention how and where?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I, and every other Tesla owner has a "referral link". Mine is https://ts.la/andrew57409. If you buy a Tesla and mention that link I get 1000 miles free charging and a chance to win a Roadster and a Y (or I would if I didn't already have free charging so I get 2 chances to win the car). So write that link down and when you actually get to order the truck be sure to enter it. Thanks.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
We hope that by the time they start actually delivering CT's they will have ironed out a lot of these kinks in the delivery process.
Since I wrote this I have taken delivery on my second Tesla (trade in) and am happy to report that the ordering and delivery processes have indeed been smoothed out a lot but I did have to go to the store to pick up the new one (and drop off the old).

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I, and every other Tesla owner has a "referral link". Mine is https://ts.la/andrew57409. If you buy a Tesla and mention that link I get 1000 miles free charging and a chance to win a Roadster and a Y (or I would if I didn't already have free charging so I get 2 chances to win the car). So write that link down and when you actually get to order the truck be sure to enter it. Thanks.
Good to know; sounds like a win-win-win.

You say to mention that link. Gladly, but how and to whom?

So I'll know when I my CT arrives, how does the referred-owner benefit?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You say to mention that link. Gladly, but how and to whom?
Ordering is still done on line by you though in fact it may be done by a Tesla employee at at Tesla store. This is much more efficient. They know what they are doing! In any case you will be asked if you have any referral codes which get entered during the process.

So I'll know when I my CT arrives, how does the referred-owner benefit?
I don't because I promised the Roadster, should I win one, to my son and I already have free charging. But any other Tesla driver whose code you use will get 1000 miles free charging and a chance to win a car.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I'll be glad to enter yours.

You're saying that a "referral link" is assigned to every Tesla owner. How and where?

Do owners of two Teslas have the same link for both, or two different ones?

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I'll be glad to enter yours.

You're saying that a "referral link" is assigned to every Tesla owner. How and where?

Do owners of two Teslas have the same link for both, or two different ones?
If you have reserved a Cybertruck you have a referral link, too. Just sign in, it is right on that page.
Sponsored