What's your realistic "worst case scenario" for CT range/efficiency concerns?

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
If you did a blanket and sleeping bag type set-up which were tucked around the seat you, possibly, could get away with using only the heated seat which uses about 10-20 even 30x less power than the cabin eco-mode.
A drayman's coat from the early 20th century. Just the thing for EV passengers North of the Mason Dixon Line.
Tesla Cybertruck What's your realistic "worst case scenario" for CT range/efficiency concerns? DSC_0326.JPG
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...Assume I charged to 100% the evening before.
Truck sits outside overnight at -12 F...
That's not how you use an EV.

You plug it in the night before, and tell it to be ready for your takeoff time. It slowly charges itself overnight, finishing the charge when you told it to, The battery pack and cabin is pre-heated before you unplug it and take off.

An ICE engine could fail at these temperatures, too. It also has a battery that can freeze, fluids which will be sluggish, and an engine block that will sap away the fire you're trying to harness.

Depart NB on US 41, 70 mph highway. No snow that day and the highway is clear so the flow of traffic will be over 70.
At Green Bay WI top off to 100%, temp is still -12 F
...which you only need to do because you're taking a route that gets under 30k cars a day on average. The highway coming into my county does three times that before you count tourists.

And you can make this trip in the single-motor version of the Cybertruck, according to ABRP, with 12% to spare. If you're doing poorly, there are three Tesla Destination chargers on the route, so you could stop and warm up with some cocoa.

And this is today, in 2020, not two years from now when you get your Cybertruck.

-Crissa

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I won't buy a CT without max load of proven 4680 battery packs. Worst case scenario- YES available, proceed, NO - cancel order!

4Axlift

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Tundra, Highlander, DR650
Occupation
Pipeline construction, Welding and Coating Inspector
Country flag
My worst-case scenario would be working construction project in the field of North Dakota in winter. with ICE would need to run the engine all day for heat. -28 to -40 drive approximately 200 mi per day and charge at night with colder temps. add in wind chill at 40 to 50MPH. my plan is to carry a 10,000-watt generator for backup and safety.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
My worst-case scenario would be working construction project in the field of North Dakota in winter. with ICE would need to run the engine all day for heat. -28 to -40 drive approximately 200 mi per day and charge at night with colder temps. add in wind chill at 40 to 50MPH. my plan is to carry a 10,000-watt generator for backup and safety.
There are electric blankets anywhere from 20-80 bucks that use around 40 watts of power and do turn themselves on/off when needed and they plug into cigarette lighters....

Currently Tesla vehicles manage quite well in cold temps (see various youtubers and their experience) then if you get a cybertruck and its "all that and then some" there should not be any worries staying out in the frigid for 3-5+ days.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If there's a case for a generator, that is one. But putting warm blankets on the seats is certainly not a bad idea - especially if you have to get in and out of the cabin alot. We do that when stargazing. Leave only the seats on ^-^

-Crissa

4Axlift

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Tundra, Highlander, DR650
Occupation
Pipeline construction, Welding and Coating Inspector
Country flag
If there's a case for a generator, that is one. But putting warm blankets on the seats is certainly not a bad idea - especially if you have to get in and out of the cabin alot. We do that when stargazing. Leave only the seats on ^-^

-Crissa
Thank you
Sponsored