Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
I’m the kind of guy that tries to get ready for stuff and buys stuff that has multiple purposes. With that being said, i have a model Y coming soon before the cybertruck. I want to try putting a 17” rim on the Model Y but be able to transfer those wheels to the cybertruck. The bolt pattern is different from the model Y’s 5x4.5 bolt pattern to the cybertruck’s possible 6 bolt pattern from recent photos at Giga Texas.

does anyone have any insight as to what spacing the cybertruck may or may not have? 6x4.5, 6x5.5… the only reason i ask because of the previously mentioned topic as well as Dodge is different from Ford and GM lugs… etc…
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I guess that also begs the question… if I’m towing 14k lbs will 17” wheels be big enough to clear the rotors and calipers? ?

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I'd say, be careful doing things like that this early. You also need to find out what the offset and backspacing requirements will be. It's not just about matching lugs and rotor clearance. If the offset/backspace is wrong the wheel won't clear suspension parts or it won't turn fully without rubbing the body or inner well.

Honestly, we won't know any of this until they make the truck. It's too early for stuff like this.

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'd say, be careful doing things like that this early. You also need to find out what the offset and backspacing requirements will be. It's not just about matching lugs and rotor clearance. If the offset/backspace is wrong the wheel won't clear suspension parts or it won't turn fully without rubbing the body or inner well.

Honestly, we won't know any of this until they make the truck. It's too early for stuff like this.
I got most of that under control. The model y’s wheel well is most definitely gonna be smaller in some way or another and most 17” rims can be fitted with M/T and A/T I want for off-road. Given the measurements, I cant go bigger than 29’s on the model Y.

already did my research on which companies provide 5 to 6 lug adapters with 2 inch spacing. Still able to clear no problem with the 29’s for the Y and change it to 35’s for the cybertruck. Just missing the information for the CT Lug pattern but I can still use 0 or positive for both vehicles.

wouldn’t ask the community if I didn’t do at least a little research ✌?

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
No one knows what rims are compatible with the Cybertruck, because there are no production-intent Cybertrucks existent.

-Crissa
I realize it’s just hearsay but I was just taking visual measurements with a group of other CT customizing enthusiasts. Based on Elons body measurements and the size 72 inches high of the CT side angle we roughly calculated the tires (possibly 30 or 32 and not 35). I own a set of 35’s on my Jeep and that CT did NOT have 35’s. Probably testing range efficiency.

so it was for fun if anybody knew anything more. Guess not ??

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
wouldn’t ask the community if I didn’t do at least a little research ✌?
Then you should know no one knows anything about the final production brake assembly, hubs, suspension, or body of the CT. No information exists. It'll be at least a year before anyone can speculate with a speck of certainty.

Everything you see on the CT now is only there until they discover they need something else. None of it can be considered final. If that was the case they'd be releasing specs and announcing a Qx 2023 timeline.

Last edited:

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
Premature elugulation
And, as it turns out, maybe not a great idea even if you had all the specs in hand and they were firm/fixed for the CT you eventually get, anyway.

Tesla's wheel & tire combos are "calibrated". The truck's computing systems will be made aware of tire & wheel characteristics, some derived through comprehensive testing, and will use that info for all manner of things. If ya' go putting something wildly different on there...

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Like others say, it's way too early to know anything concrete. But I bet that 17" wheels will be too small to clear the brakes on Cybertruck based on the fact that you can't fit 17" wheels on any of the other vehicles Tesla makes. Minimum size is 18" for Model 3/Y and 19" for Model S/X. The Performance models usually require bigger wheels at 19" and 20" respectively. The Cybertruck will likely have bigger brakes and rotors because it will be heavier and be rated to tow. The only way I can see 17" wheels working is if Tesla moves the brakes inboard and mounts them on the subframe (like the Bollinger B1). It would be great if Tesla did this. Or I guess Tesla could use a brake system or hub more like traditional trucks use in order to allow the smaller wheels.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Given Tesla's pace of innovation, 100 enhancements are still to come.

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I love how nobody likes to bounce ideas off of anyone any more or contribute to the conversation something that can be of any assistance. It's literally a bunch of "no you cant do that."

Regardless of that fact we dont know a whole lot about the final design that didnt stop the Cyberlandr from being sketched out and pre-ordered, it doesnt stop other overlanding tents from being experimented with. Do you think any of those "ideas" would be created with any excuses any of you mentioned in this room?

I understand no 17" rim fits well on any current tesla but have you ever heard of mountain pass making slightly small mm rotors to fit the Martian Rims? I guess you didnt.

Did you know you are able to either change the wheel size if you take it to a Tesla Service center? No because nobody bothered to do any further research for themselves but you can do it.

Not sure how many of you actually do any offroading, research, or change anything on your trucks or cars but all I hear is a lot of "no you can't" and word vomit you either heard or think you know. My bad for ranting but these answers are the reason nobody likes to share ideas or even be creative anymore.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How do you make a guess here, though?

We know it uses six bolts. That's it. I haven't seen any photos that can really make out the tire size, but maybe? Then you could back size it.

However, I can't imagine the Cybertruck will have smaller brake rotors than other Teslas. Or even as small as a Model 3's.

-Crissa
Sponsored