Wheels

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Hopefully, there will be more choices for wheels. When you watch the Jay Leno's garage episode on the Cybertruck, and stop at the 30.5 second mark, the wheels (maybe hubcaps) stick out far enough past the tire that if spinning in sand or mud, the finish would quickly be marred.

This also makes them an easy target for curb rash, which looks ugly, happens quickly, and is costly to replace/repair.

Yes, they look cool, but you will regret the moment that your significant other drives and scratches 2 trying to park.
Sponsored

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m sure all the believers in FSD will say.. oh don’t worry about the wheels, FSD will never allow the wheels to touch any curbs.

OP
OP

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Picture it rock climbing with Jeeps or churning pedal-down through mud. These decorative pieces sticking out will be destroyed.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Picture it rock climbing with Jeeps or churning pedal-down through mud. These decorative pieces sticking out will be destroyed.
How is that not true with any hubcap?

I mean, all the 'serious' off-roaders seem to have beadlock wheels and NITTO tires... ;) so, not sure what the stock wheels and tire are that big of a concern to 'serious' off-roaders.

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
How is that not true with any hubcap?

I mean, all the 'serious' off-roaders seem to have beadlock wheels and NITTO tires... ;) so, not sure what the stock wheels and tire are that big of a concern to 'serious' off-roaders.
I'm hoping Tesla offers an aggressive off road wheel and tire option. 37 x 13.5 on 17" wheels with an aggressive offset. Otherwise the wheels and tires are probably the only thing I'll change about the CT.

MisterL

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Configured
Country flag
There will be an entire Cybertruck after market market created once the CT arrives. I can’t believe this is a real concern., but i guess. There will be a plethora of options and we don’t know that those wheels/wheel covers with current dimensions will make it to the production product. This maybe a smidge of cart before the horse.
Mostly leaning toward the subjects are running thin with over a year of conversations to maintain about the truck a full year out before the truck is hopefully going to arrive.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Come to think of it. A car that was designed in 1936. Started production in the forties. Delivered to the USA in early 50’s and swans made better and had better QC than Tesla today. Thunk about that. Pretty amazing if your honest

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry. My bad. Wrong thread

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Come to think of it. A car that was designed in 1936. Started production in the forties. Delivered to the USA in early 50’s and swans made better and had better QC than Tesla today. Thunk about that. Pretty amazing if your honest
Quality control was amazing when you look at products made 60+ years ago, but we are in the world where things are mass produced. You can find youtube videos of what goes on in a Tesla factory (or any factory) and the amount that if being pushed out per day would take a lot of extra work to inspect every detail.

Some people say that Tesla is worse than other companies, but it's not. I can assure anyone that any manufacturer that mass produced hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year has just as many defects. Where Tesla is lacking is having their sales go through a dealership, because a dealership will inspect your car for you before you pick it up. Some people think that it's bad that Tesla doesn't do this but the biggest complaints that i've seen towards Tesla are paint, gaps, some cosmetic issue, maybe the back seats don't auto fold. These issues, while annoying, are minor and can be caught by any person doing a full simple inspection.

Personally I'd rather do an inspection myself and maybe have to take my Cybertruck to get serviced if that means that I can get a truck with amazing utility and performance, that will have the hardware to someday drive itself, for only $77,000. Not to mention this is a beautiful truck.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I am hoping that other companies coming close to Tesla (not Tesla Killers, but atleast vehicles that are close enough that comparing them is not just one sided) and forces Tesla to improve their quality.

If they used their vision AI to help QC the cars, they could catch some of these things before they ever leave. And I think I saw something in the last few weeks about them beginning to do just that.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think Tesla already does what they can to improve the quality of their vehicle. I'm not worried about the small cosmetic stuff that can be fixed with a trip to Tesla Service, but other stuff like the performance, Tesla is very competitive. If you look at Tesla compared to other production vehicles, they are kicking ass. They have fast acceleration, they have fabulous software, they keep scoring perfect for crash tests and safety features, and they even have easter eggs and built in games to keep it fun. If another company starts to do something actually starts to compete with Tesla, Tesla is pretty fast to act. This isn't just about the performance of driving, Tesla currently doesn't have the fastest chargers, but since another company pulled ahead, it was hinted at the Cybertruck unveil that they are going bigger. How much bigger? will it be the fastest? we will probably find out next month, but I think Tesla enjoys a little healthy competition and that gives them a little extra publicity when they get back on top of anything.

Chiptosser

First Name
Chiptosser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suba
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Something definetly needs to be done with the wheels.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Similar to the Model 3, aren't those hubcaps just aero-caps that can be removed to reveal true Alloy wheels? Plus, we haven't seen the production version yet, there might be changes and or there will likely be tire/wheel options available when we configure.

If not I'll be going with a package similar to this:
Tesla Cybertruck Wheels cybertruckside_My Wheels

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
Something definetly needs to be done with the wheels.
Isn’t it interesting how we are ready to change one persons vision of perfect. Perfectness is different to every person. I like the wheels like they are. Shows futurism. Blade runner style. Instead of that which could show up on any vehicle. I will like your thread because this is each persons choice.

Deleted member 5322

I think Tesla will offer 3 types of wheels/tires:
1) Off-Road package
2) Best performance package
3) Best mileage package.

If so, I definitely will take the third option. Do not go offroad at all ( so far, but could be changed once I get my CT), and hate all these performance things... Perhaps I am the slowest man taking off the red light on the road :)
Sponsored