When we will see the final design?

Flakbait12

Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
13
Reaction score
24
Location
Tampa, FL
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
Production Manager
Country flag
Any guesses on when we will get official images and specs?
We could all use the treat right about now.
Sponsored

 

rr6013

Well-known member
First Name
Rex
Joined
Apr 22, 2020
Threads
54
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
1,619
Location
Coronado Bay Panama
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Stop holding your breath. At least, Q2 2023 and later…

Elon switch’o<>change’o to Quad Cybertruck for SOP requires that variant be alpha/beta tested through NTSB, new Quad software integrations and pre-production verification and validation before developing final supply chain vendor contracts.
IF
IDRA9000T casting machines and GigaAustin processes perform “production ready”. That’s one huge benchmark even with a machine that’s tested and passed all specs in Germany.
OH!
That’s not factoring shortages in computer chips, Li, 4680, and Russia geo-political disruption.

O% peace by Xmas. 40% chance war escalates. 60% chance Putin dies in the next 24mos.

Tough to be in the car business!
 

Klaxon

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Threads
7
Messages
397
Reaction score
732
Location
Canada
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
When we will see the final design?
I would prefer never the final. Only the current model in production. Let it develop and modify to the new models the years ahead.
 




Jhodgesatmb

Well-known member
First Name
Jack
Joined
Dec 1, 2019
Threads
63
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,902
Location
San Francisco Bay area
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
With Tesla you start seeing them driving test vehicles around and intrepid watchers (such as we) will identify some details (mostly external of course) and share them with us, much the same way that is happening now with alpha prototypes. As production nears the number of vehicles we will see driving around will increase and the number of external and internal changes we see will reduce. And then one day someone will get one and the details will be out and the testing will begin. To think or hope that it will happen any other way is to live in a fantasy.

The wait is killing me, and I would love to have a full spec and feature list in front of me, but I honestly don't expect to see them. Instead, what I am looking for is the delivery of IDRA crates and rolls of stainless steel, and then to see sample frames in dumpsters or sample giga castings that are clearly CT components, and then I will set my internal clock/schedule for production prototypes.
 

Deleted member 12457

Guest
https://insideevs.com/news/589457/elon-musk-confirms-tesla-cybertruck-massive-giga-press/ "Updated" video shows IRDA still assembling the giga press for the CT at its manufacturing plant. If the IDRA Open House is correct,

From June 6th - 30th 2022
We are honoured to offer you a preview in our facility to show you the latest design in Die Cast Machines. You will be one of the first to preview our new 9000t Giga Press under test including the 5S injection system as well as other medium sized fully integrated manufacturing cells. Come and see the real thing. https://www.idragroup.com/en/news/idra-open-house-until-30-june-2022

it's fully(?) assembled and being tested. Once Elon/Tesla accepts the press, it needs to be carefully disassembled and packaged for shipment in a thousand containers (/s). These need to be placed on a ship destined for Port of Houston (very large), Texas City (large) or one of the large ports near Matagorda. Port of Genova, Genoa, Italy is a shipping container port that appears the closest to Travagliato (144 miles). I presume they'll use rail service to get to Austin but because of its width it might go by a large number of massive trucks. http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/USA_TX.php Once it gets to Austin, of course during the hotest part of the year, it will need to be unloaded (no small feat), reassembled and re-tested. Found a website that said it could take 25 days for a container ship to go from Genoa to Houston.

None of this will be easy or quick. IF the giga press is ready to be shipped, I could see it taking almost a month to disassemble and package, another month to get to Houston by container ship, at least a week loading the containers onto trucks/trailers and getting it to Austin. Unload and assembling might ONLY take a month, probably more, then re-testing basic functions before even trying it's first press. I'm sure it will take a month or two to get the first usable chassis so I'm looking positively at December before Testa is ready to produce anything they could use for crash testing and everything else they need to test before producing any sellable CT.

Damn, that's a lot of things still to do. I forgot to even mention the construction and testing of the assembly line along with SS metal brakes and everything else. If the first CT is released by this time next year I would be very happy.

edit: My "SS metal brakes" might be misunderstood. By "brakes" I meant a metal brake tool capable of bending sheet metal. The term is obvious to me but when we're talking about a truck that has brakes it can be confusing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jhodgesatmb

Well-known member
First Name
Jack
Joined
Dec 1, 2019
Threads
63
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,902
Location
San Francisco Bay area
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/589457/elon-musk-confirms-tesla-cybertruck-massive-giga-press/ "Updated" video shows IRDA still assembling the giga press for the CT at its manufacturing plant. If the IDRA Open House is correct,

From June 6th - 30th 2022
We are honoured to offer you a preview in our facility to show you the latest design in Die Cast Machines. You will be one of the first to preview our new 9000t Giga Press under test including the 5S injection system as well as other medium sized fully integrated manufacturing cells. Come and see the real thing. https://www.idragroup.com/en/news/idra-open-house-until-30-june-2022

it's fully(?) assembled and being tested. Once Elon/Tesla accepts the press, it needs to be carefully disassembled and packaged for shipment in a thousand containers (/s). These need to be placed on a ship destined for Port of Houston (very large), Texas City (large) or one of the large ports near Matagorda. Port of Genova, Genoa, Italy is a shipping container port that appears the closest to Travagliato (144 miles). I presume they'll use rail service to get to Austin but because of its width it might go by a large number of massive trucks. http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/USA_TX.php Once it gets to Austin, of course during the hotest part of the year, it will need to be unloaded (no small feat), reassembled and re-tested. Found a website that said it could take 25 days for a container ship to go from Genoa to Houston.

None of this will be easy or quick. IF the giga press is ready to be shipped, I could see it taking almost a month to disassemble and package, another month to get to Houston by container ship, at least a week loading the containers onto trucks/trailers and getting it to Austin. Unload and assembling might ONLY take a month, probably more, then re-testing basic functions before even trying it's first press. I'm sure it will take a month or two to get the first usable chassis so I'm looking positively at December before Testa is ready to produce anything they could use for crash testing and everything else they need to test before producing any sellable CT.

Damn, that's a lot of things still to do. I forgot to even mention the construction and testing of the assembly line along with SS metal brakes and everything else. If the first CT is released by this time next year I would be very happy.
That all sounds about right, thank you.
 
 




Top