TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Not sure if this has been answered I trust it’s been debated, but do we have an idea when we will know specs on the vehicle specifically dimensions, power, range, options, pricing, features? Are we talking the day before production or the month before production, three months before production, which technically may be now?
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
June 31st

Deleted member 11233

When the first consumer takes delivery and posts photos, videos, and tape measuring.

OP
OP

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Tesla usually provides them when they release the manuals which is around the time of the first delivery.
So people taking first delivery not knowing what they getting til day of or thereabouts?

Lekrow

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid CyberTruck
Country flag
Model 3 configurator didn't go online until they held the production delivery event. My guess is this is when we will get all of the final details for the Cybertruck as well.
Early VIN's will very likely be going to executives and other employees anyways so they will already have insider knowledge of these details.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Different specs come at different times.

EPA range has to be registered before deliveries, so we generally know it before first consumer deliveries, for instance.

We'll have seats and motors, generally, from photographs.

The final weights and measures will be delivered with the car itself.

The vast majority of us will know long before we get our chance in the configurator.

-Crissa

Reactions: LCS

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
Model 3 configurator didn't go online until they held the production delivery event. My guess is this is when we will get all of the final details for the Cybertruck as well.
Early VIN's will very likely be going to executives and other employees anyways so they will already have insider knowledge of these details.
It is rather presumptuous that everyone will like what they are getting? Youve arranged your finance and everything and then only do you discover exactly what you're getting??

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
It is rather presumptuous that everyone will like what they are getting? Youve arranged your finance and everything and then only do you discover exactly what you're getting??
The people going to the event will know before I'm sure

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
The people going to the event will know before I'm sure
Off topic, I see you have painted the strip between your roof and your doors. Looks good.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am going to quote a post I did from another thread about previous timelines.

In summary, for Model 3 we didn't really have specs/pricing confirmed until orders from real customers were actually placed/confirmed, which occurred several months after the delivery event.

For the Model Y, they took actual orders up front instead of reservations. At launch, they just had people schedule delivery and submit payments and documents, but were bound by that pricing on their order.

Based on the history, I don't expect us to know final pricing and the initial offered configuration until the first order configuration invites go out to some reservation holders and the configuration screens are posted here.

I remember the Model 3 rollout fairly well, but I thought I would spend some time actually researching the Model 3 and the Model Y rollouts to provide some data points about this and other similar discussions about pricing and the initial rollout of cars.

Model 3 Important Dates and Info Concerning Orders
The Model 3 rollout was make or break for Tesla. It was their first attempt at a true mass produced car. Before the Model 3 they were only making around 30k cars per quarter in total. The ramp up to the Model 3 required Tesla to learn a lot about manufacturing and they stumbled a bit, going through "Production Hell". They finally hit their stride in 2018 after doing alot of out of the box thinking including setting up a production line in a tent at Fremont.

March 31st, 2016 - Tesla Model 3 Announcement Event
July 28th, 2017 - Delivery Event and Employee Reservation Emails Went Out to Employees
Nov 21, 2017 - Real customers begin receiving invites to configure. First Production Model 3 (35,000) was LR RWD (+$9,000) with Premium Upgrades (+$5,000) for a total of $48,000. This matched announced pricing from the announcement event, though you couldn't opt out of the Premium Upgrades. This is the first time release pricing was confirmed I believe. Pricing matched announced pricing.
Nov 25, 2017 - First real customer deliveries occur.
4th Quarter 2017 - Model 3 Delivered in Quarter - 1,550 (1550 Total)
1st Quarter 2018 - Model 3 Delivered in Quarter - 9,766 (11,316 Total)
2nd Quarter 2018 - Model 3 Delivered in Quarter - 28,578 (39,894 Total)
3rd Quarter 2018 - Model 3 Delivered in Quarter - 55,840 (95,734 Total)
4th Quarter 2018 - Model 3 Delivered in Quarter - 63,150 (158,884 Total)

Notes: Some people felt burned because they packaged the Premium upgrades into all Model 3s sold, you couldn't not select the $5,000 option. The short range Model 3 was not released for a very long time, though it was eventually for a short period of time for those that reserved it.

Model Y Important Dates and Info Concerning Orders
The Model Y was officially announced on March 14th, 2019 during an announcement event. They seemed to handle the order process differently then the Model 3, instead having full orders being placed with you selecting wheels, paint, seats, and all options available on the Model Y and placing a $2,500 deposit down. Their orders were basically already placed as soon as they reserved.

The Model Y started delivering right in March 2020, when the Pandemic was starting. The Model Y rollout was known to have some issues when it came to when people who placed orders received them, namely that people who just Ordered seemed to be as likely to get an order delivered right away as those who placed orders in 2019. Some people were placing an order in March 2020 and immediately received a confirmation and were asked to select a delivery date.

I don't have Model Y Delivery numbers per quarter because Model 3 and Model Y are grouped together as a single line item on reporting from Tesla.

March 14th, 2019 - Tesla Model Y Announcement Event
March 14th, 2019 - Orders for Model Y were opened up. These were a bit different then for Model 3, requiring a $2,500 payment, and having you configure all options.
Feb 26th 2020 - Steps to select Delivery Location, enter Registration, Trade-in, and Payment Methods appeared in some customer accounts for Performance Model Y orders. Text messages started going out to complete steps.
Mar 7th 2020 - More Customer account open up to enter their information, now for some LR AWD customers.
March 12, 2020 - Customers begins setting delivery dates as VINS are assigned.
March 13, 2020 - Customers begin accepting delivery. This includes customers outside of California in other states, Tesla did not limit initial rollout to California.

Pricing - Tesla did change the pricing from the Announcement to the Rollout. They reduced pricing on the Model Y to bring everything in line with the Model 3. EDIT: This change was actually made in July 2020, so few months into deliveries. First deliveries were at Announced Pricing I believe.

TrimAnnouncement PriceJuly 2020 PriceDual Motor AWD$51,000$49,990Performance$60,000$59,990Standard Range RWD$39,000CANCELLED - Delivered for a short period of timeLong Range RWD$47,000CANCELLED - NEVER OFFERED
Edit: Please note, I did not have an order for a Model Y, so I didn't pay as much attention to it and know less about the actual order process. Its possible I might be incorrect about something. If you were an early Model Y recipient and something is incorrect based on your experience, please correct me. This based on my memory and digging through forum threads.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Sadly that is the way of things up at the front of the line. You can always reject the delivery, but I do not know the implications of that decision as I have never been at the front of the line.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I don’t know if I’d call it presumptuous. The front of the line people, the bleeding edge people are die hard fans. Being an early adopter is more important than whether or not the rear seats recline.

And for those that aren’t early adopters, it’s a refundable deposit, you can always say no when you finally see yours.
Sponsored