When your reservation comes up can you change type of truck?

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Nissan Frontier, 2013 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
Basically, when your reservation comes up can you change from dual motor to tri motor? I ordered dual, but $10,000 more might be worth 300 more miles.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's what Tesla has allowed before. But if there has been any price changes, you get the new price if higher.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results, of course.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If that is the case then why make a selection at all at this time? Just go in and take someone else’s truck when your number comes up. I would rather they (Tesla) ask you if you want the car you ordered and, if you want another car, you go into another queue, so that you get the option of the car you want but don’t disrupt others who knew what they wanted and stood in line for them. It is another thing if they have more than enough trucks to go around but we know that won’t be the case for some time (longer than any of us want to wait).

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Basically, when your reservation comes up can you change from dual motor to tri motor? I ordered dual, but $10,000 more might be worth 300 more miles.
um
single motor is 40k 250 miles 2wd
duel motor is 50k 300 miles 4wd
tri motor is 70k 500 miles 4wd

when we get closer to production, they will let us choose specs and options

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
If I were Tesla, I would allow upgrades but not down...they need profit to build out more giga- and terafactories for world domination.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If that is the case then why make a selection at all at this time? Just go in and take someone else’s truck when your number comes up. I would rather they (Tesla) ask you if you want the car you ordered and, if you want another car, you go into another queue, so that you get the option of the car you want but don’t disrupt others who knew what they wanted and stood in line for them. It is another thing if they have more than enough trucks to go around but we know that won’t be the case for some time (longer than any of us want to wait).
Making your selection now is how Tesla is able to gauge which version most people WANT. So say i reserved a single motor.. and when my time comes to configure Tesla is only selling the tri-motor, i can either wait for the single motor or upgrade to the tri. It does not mean i'm skipping people in "line". The number that you are in "line" is based on WHEN i reserved not WHAT i reserved. Also.. just because Tesla allows you to configure does not mean you have to, you can wait as long as you want! So basically if you wait.. its like standing in line at the amusement park and letting some people pass you for the roller coaster because you are scared.. then once you are ready you just go, no re waiting and you didnt "skip" anyone.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Making your selection now is how Tesla is able to gauge which version most people WANT. So say i reserved a single motor.. and when my time comes to configure Tesla is only selling the tri-motor, i can either wait for the single motor or upgrade to the tri. It does not mean i'm skipping people in "line". The number that you are in "line" is based on WHEN i reserved not WHAT i reserved. Also.. just because Tesla allows you to configure does not mean you have to, you can wait as long as you want! So basically if you wait.. its like standing in line at the amusement park and letting some people pass you for the roller coaster because you are scared.. then once you are ready you just go, no re waiting and you didnt "skip" anyone.
I don’t see it that way. If you put yourself down for a single motor then there are N people in line for that version, and M in line for the tri motor. If you change your mind at configuration time, and go to a tri motor, then there are N - 1 on the single and M + 1 on the tri. If your number is lower than mine you cut in line. You may be right, I just don’t like it.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I would think that the reservation is a place holder in line. Otherwise each vehicle version would get it's own number.
But so far the res numbers are just a basic long number. Not specifying what version truckbu will get.

So my though is, if u switch to a higher version truck u will keep a spot around others of that number.

My number is about 112802000 single motor, which according to the tracker puts me at about the 3000th single motor produced but my base spot is 58,000.

If I look at a duel motor with about the same res number 112803000 .... he is at the 17000th duel motor produced and about 59000 base place.

I would deduce that if I switched to a duel motor from my single, i would end up right near that guys spot.

Same for tri motor, this guy is 112804000ish
Tri spot is the 18000th made, 60000 base place. So if I switched to a tri motor I should jump in front of him a tiny bit, as my base spot is less than his.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would think that the reservation is a place holder in line. Otherwise each vehicle version would get it's own number.
But so far the res numbers are just a basic long number. Not specifying what version truckbu will get.

So my though is, if u switch to a higher version truck u will keep a spot around others of that number.

My number is about 112802000 single motor, which according to the tracker puts me at about the 3000th single motor produced but my base spot is 58,000.

If I look at a duel motor with about the same res number 112803000 .... he is at the 17000th duel motor produced and about 59000 base place.

I would deduce that if I switched to a duel motor from my single, i would end up right near that guys spot.

Same for tri motor, this guy is 112804000ish
Tri spot is the 18000th made, 60000 base place. So if I switched to a tri motor I should jump in front of him a tiny bit, as my base spot is less than his.
You are right, if it is just a placeholder in line, and the 'only' reason you reserve a particular trim is so that Tesla can decide how many of those to make, then you would be in approximately the same position regardless of the trim. But if all of the low-numbered single motors moved to tri motors they would certainly push the later try motor reservations out by that number. You can't get something for nothing. I genuinely don't know what is fair or whether Tesla even thinks about 'fair'; I just want my truck as soon as possible and would prefer people who change their minds be put back in the queue for which they are changing to. I changed, and that could have changed my position and that would be on me. At the same time, if I had a super low number and I changed my mind now, and they put me back at 800,000 (or whatever) I'd be really upset. I don't know what their algorithm is but it is probably more complicated than 'all or none'.

Riptide

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Country flag
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I think it used to say on the Cybertruck site that the dual- and tri-motor models would be begin shipping in 2021.

Now it says the tri-motor will be shipping in 2021, and not the dual.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I think it used to say on the Cybertruck site that the dual- and tri-motor models would be begin shipping in 2021.

Now it says the tri-motor will be shipping in 2021, and not the dual.
Which Cybertruck site is this at? Very curious since that would mean I get my Tri sooner!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Which Cybertruck site is this at? Very curious since that would mean I get my Tri sooner!
Or maybe all of the single and dual motor reservation holders will jump onto the tri-motor list and push you (and me) even further back :-(

You see, until this discussion, I thought that we were in 3 buckets and that within those buckets there were going to be people that opt out of their reservation, and I tried to guestimate when I might see my truck. Now, however, if people can freely change the bucket they are in, the only factors seem to be when they start production, how quickly they can ramp up, and whether people cancel their reservations. There might not be any single motor reservations when the dual and tri motor designs start being produced so I cannot use the bucket notion as a filter anymore. Good news for low-number reservation holders that initially chose a non tri-motor option. Bad news for others.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Think of it this way:

if you have a reservation and your reservation comes up and you change your mind and switch models and that model is not in production or never goes into production....what happens?

I will give you an example. The Model Y standard range, Tesla canceled production of it, what happened to those that were in line for one? did they cut in front of those that didn't order the standard range but placed orders later?

could we see something similar on the single motor?

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
What makes me wonder is there are at least two reservation tracking lists, one which says I'm in the 40,000's and another which says I'm in the 40,000's ... BUT for my particular configuration (Trimotor w/FSD) I'm in the 12,000's...whut da heck?

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What makes me wonder is there are at least two reservation tracking lists, one which says I'm in the 40,000's and another which says I'm in the 40,000's ... BUT for my particular configuration (Trimotor w/FSD) I'm in the 12,000's...whut da heck?
just a side note, i do not believe FSD will be a factor in this. Every CT will have the equipment to do FSD, it will just be a matter of enabling the software after you buy the upgrade.
Sponsored