When your reservation comes up can you change type of truck?

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT, ordered: 5-AWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Basically, when your reservation comes up can you change from dual motor to tri motor? I ordered dual, but $10,000 more might be worth 300 more miles.
If you ordered FSD back in Feb. you were paying $7k, if you make a change now it is $8k, if you wait till they notify you later you will be paying whatever FSD is going for and it will be going up a lot the closer we get to production. Do it now.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I know it is a bit orthogonal to this discussion, but I still donā€™t understand why FSD goes with the vehicle and not the purchaser. If it is really turning on software, and can be turned off again, it seems like a software license and should go with me, the purchaser. Otherwise it depreciates along with the vehicle when it shouldnā€™t depreciate at all.

Josephvelder

First Name
joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, cybertruck
Occupation
CRNA
Country flag
single motor is 40k 250 miles 2wd
duel motor is 50k 300 miles 4wd
tri motor is 70k 500 miles 4wd
The extra $20k for an added 200 mile range isn't justified in my case. I'll hardly ever get close to traveling 300 miles in one day and if I do I can take a lunch while I top off the battery. Plus my reason for ordering the duel motor is for 4wd and redundancy. ??ā€ā™‚

Josephvelder

First Name
joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, cybertruck
Occupation
CRNA
Country flag
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I think it used to say on the Cybertruck site that the dual- and tri-motor models would be begin shipping in 2021.

Now it says the tri-motor will be shipping in 2021, and not the dual.
This would make sense financially for tesla, get the bigger bucks early to help speed up production on the smaller bucks.

jdcook72

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M3 LR RWD, 2019 M3 DM, Cybertruck TM preorder
Country flag
Originally I had reservation for the dual motor. For $100 refundable, I added a reservation for the tri motor to lock in my price on FSD before the bump. When the time comes, I'll decide which one I want and cancel the other. Dual motor should be fine, I don't tow any toys, but if V2G evolves the bigger battery would be nice.

Riptide

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Country flag
Which Cybertruck site is this at? Very curious since that would mean I get my Tri sooner!
OK, I either made a mistake or it has changed again. I was looking at the Tesla website on the Cybertruck order page.

It has either changed back or I was wrong. The dual-motor version is now showing production in late 2021.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The extra $20k for an added 200 mile range isn't justified in my case. I'll hardly ever get close to traveling 300 miles in one day and if I do I can take a lunch while I top off the battery. Plus my reason for ordering the duel motor is for 4wd and redundancy. ??ā€ā™‚
If only it were so easy. With the current batteries Tesla wants you to charge no further than 80% and only drive down to 20%, so on a 300-mile battery you actually only get 180 miles. That is, if you want longevity out of your battery. On a current 500-mile battery (if there were such a thing) you would get 300 miles. Do you ever drive 200 miles a day? 250? If so, then that 500-mile battery looks more and more attractive.

jdcook72

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If only it were so easy. With the current batteries Tesla wants you to charge no further than 80% and only drive down to 20%, so on a 300-mile battery you actually only get 180 miles. That is, if you want longevity out of your battery. On a current 500-mile battery (if there were such a thing) you would get 300 miles. Do you ever drive 200 miles a day? 250? If so, then that 500-mile battery looks more and more attractive.
This is not accurate. Also, the original poster said he would hardly ever get close to 300 in one day. The range is certainly there if needed though. The batteries are not as fragile as you imply either, best practice for charging is probably closer to middle 80%, 10<->90. Given currently available metrics, base on older battery technology/chemistry, longevity is minimally impacted by robust dis/charging. Most harm to battery is from max charging and letting it sit in that state. With the car's software, if more range was needed on a given day, charging to 100% can be scheduled to complete shortly before departure as well to minimize impact to the battery...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How Tesla did their other pre-orders:

#1: Your number in line. They alerted the order-holders in order of their pre-order.
#2: When your number came up, if your model wasn't being delivered yet (number of motors, battery pack size, glass roofs, etc), you could upgrade to hop to the next line. If you weren't ready yet, you could delay or downgrade.
#3: Any delay in responding to that message would delay your position in line further. This really didn't matter much, since they only emailed so many people at once.
#4: Any upgrades were at that current price, not the pre-order price; tho some options were discounted (but not below the pre-order price). So yes, the full-self-driving reservation locks in the price (unless they discount it).

So yes, the Standard-level Y-reservation holders are being dealt with right now. They're probably being coaxed to buy the upgraded version but getting a software-locked version if they really really want it. I've heard conflicting messages about that, but I don't know anyone who had a standard Y reservation. (All my friends either have Bolts had Model 3 reservations.)

The only time I've ever heard Tesla has ever canceled pre-orders is like their solar installs last year when they decided they weren't going to be able to fill them in a timely manner; or after the the reservation queue was emptied except those who didn't get back to claim their place in line.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This is not accurate. Also, the original poster said he would hardly ever get close to 300 in one day. The range is certainly there if needed though. The batteries are not as fragile as you imply either, best practice for charging is probably closer to middle 80%, 10<->90. Given currently available metrics, base on older battery technology/chemistry, longevity is minimally impacted by robust dis/charging. Most harm to battery is from max charging and letting it sit in that state. With the car's software, if more range was needed on a given day, charging to 100% can be scheduled to complete shortly before departure as well to minimize impact to the battery...
It is accurate. That is Teslaā€™s recommendation. There is a difference between recommendation and practicality. You are talking about ā€˜yourā€™ practice (which may, indeed, be common practice) but time will tell whether your battery longevity matches what Tesla thinks can be achieved. And I said that too. So instead of ragging on what I said why donā€™t you tell the OP what mileage they can expect on a 300-mile battery according to your rules.

Josephvelder

First Name
joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, cybertruck
Occupation
CRNA
Country flag
Honestly, unless I'm going out of town I'll never drive more than 50 miles per day

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is accurate. That is Teslaā€™s recommendation. There is a difference between recommendation and practicality. You are talking about ā€˜yourā€™ practice (which may, indeed, be common practice) but time will tell whether your battery longevity matches what Tesla thinks can be achieved. And I said that too. So instead of ragging on what I said why donā€™t you tell the OP what mileage they can expect on a 300-mile battery according to your rules.
The basis of this discussion could be a moot point. After battery day we may find that full charging and draining will not harm the new batteries. To be continued!???

jdcook72

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I didn't think it was unreasonable to assume the OP could figure out that 80% of 300 is 240.

I wasn't ragging on you, I only said your statement wasn't accurate. More specifically it is outdated. 80/20 may have been the guidance before but Elon himself has said daily charging up to 90% and discharging to 5% and lower would be no issue. Not my rules.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Cybertruck, 2013 P85 S
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I already switched my early single res. to a dual. Instead of getting one of the earlier singles produced, I now expect to get one of the earlier duals. Suggest not waiting until the last minute. My dual is probably pushed to '22 because of all the Tri upgrades, guess I'll have to be ok with that.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I think it used to say on the Cybertruck site that the dual- and tri-motor models would be begin shipping in 2021.

Now it says the tri-motor will be shipping in 2021, and not the dual.
The Canadian site still says 2021 for dual and tri motor versions. 2022 for single motor version.
Sponsored