Where can I buy 30x cold rolled stainless steel for testing?

tomasrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
I want to buy a panel of 30x cold rolled stainless steel for testing. I want to shoot it with a 9mm, 357 magnum and 45 auto. I want to see just exactly HOW bullet proof it is. I also want to buy a panel of ALON glass and test it as well. I want to do the test and put the video on YouTube. Please let me know how I can go about buying it. Thanks.
Sponsored

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
We need this! I've been searching YouTube for ballistics tests against cold rolled stainless steel. Remember, that tailgate/ramp is many layers of steel.

Nightf0rge

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Teacher, Blacksmith
Country flag
The name itself indicates they arn't saying which version of stainless it is. the X in 30X is replaced by a number. 310S has been a guess. I want Tesla and Elon to issue a Cybertruck key-card made from Starship MK1 scrap with a Cybertruck and Space X logo, would be so cool.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
1/8" of work hardened 3XX series stainless should stop a standard velocity 9 mm just like the demo showed. Whether a "Nato" 9 mm would penetrate is debatable. I'd expect a 357 FMJ would zip through.
In the final product I would expect the wording to be "up to 1/8" thick".
TBH, bulletproof isn't on my list of criteria for truck selection.

Edit - if you really want to try this I would suggest 301 1/2 hard. And leave a respectful distance between you and the target - impact craters can reflect bullets and bullet fragments directly back at the shooter. At my sportsman's club the targets are made of hardened AR500 steel plate 1/2" thick.

Last edited:

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Somewhere Musk said it’s a proprietary alloy.
There was an alloy composition listed somewhere supposedly from Elon himself that essentially matches up with 301. Its probably Full-hard or "extra-hard" from the description of how hard it is to bend. Its not so much that there is not a press strong enough to bend it as much as thicker, hard metals crack when you bend them to too tight of a radius.

You can buy some small sheets of 301 full-hard here, but the thickest they stock is only 0063" https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/stainless/0-063-stainless-sheet-301-full-hard/pid/9658

Or get a quote for pretty much any size you would want them to process it at from here: https://www.upmet.com/products/stainless-steel/301

Wanderer351

First Name
Wanderer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 E350 ford Sportsmobile , 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Fabricator
Country flag
My impression was that it was cold rolled 30 times to both work harden and get the desired thickness.

Cold working stainless steel makes it magnetic

I also heard Elon say that they have to score the backside of the material at a fold for the machines to even be able to bend it.

Nightf0rge

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Teacher, Blacksmith
Country flag
My impression was that it was cold rolled 30 times to both work harden and get the desired thickness.

Cold working stainless steel makes it magnetic

I also heard Elon say that they have to score the backside of the material at a fold for the machines to even be able to bend it.
Yes, think laser scored, bent and reinforcing weld at bends.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I want to buy a panel of 30x cold rolled stainless steel for testing. I want to shoot it with a 9mm, 357 magnum and 45 auto. I want to see just exactly HOW bullet proof it is. I also want to buy a panel of ALON glass and test it as well. I want to do the test and put the video on YouTube. Please let me know how I can go about buying it. Thanks.
"Bullet-proof" is like "weather-proof"; the definition depends on the details. For instance, a panel of the identical material might behave differently than it would as a CT door surface.

But it wouldn't hurt to ask Tesla if they might be interested in cooperating with you. Good luck with your interesting project.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
Sounds like someone who has never shot steel plates. If it doesn’t go thru it comes back at you.

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
I don't know how you deal with the possibility of a ricochet in a test like that. Hope nobody gets hurt! McMaster (https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/stainless-steel/) sells various stainless steel types but you'd probably have to guess at the specifics Tesla will use and somehow extrapolate from what you can buy. Maybe it would do to test multiple grades, tempers, thicknesses, etc.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Sounds like someone who has never shot steel plates. If it doesn’t go thru it comes back at you.
WRONG, almost never does it come back. The lead is relatively soft compared to the steel plate so it flattens and falls down, or fragments and goes perpendicular to the plate in all directions. The flattening or fragmenting of the bullet eats up almost all of the energy and there is no energy left to send it back your way. The only time you need to really worry about something coming back at you is if you are using steel or equivalent ammo. Steel ammo won’t deform much so it doesn’t lose as much energy on impact and does have a decent chance at coming back. Not too many steel handgun rounds left floating around since it has been banned. My guess is the big slow .45 has no chance of penetrating the 3mm stainless, the smaller and faster 9mm has a slim chance, and the ultra fast .357 will cut straight through.
Sponsored

Last edited: