Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Looking at the current model 3 and Model Y it comes with a card that is the "key" for thee vehicle (yes you can also use your cellphone, but this is not always pratical). To use it you place the key on the center console by the cup holders.

but the CT does not have a center console, it has a fold down seat.

so where will the key go?

Where you do think it will go based on what you have seen so far about the CT.

Also the 3 and Y have phone chargers in the center console (wired and wireless).....where will these be?
Sponsored

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looking at the current model 3 and Model Y it comes with a card that is the "key" for thee vehicle (yes you can also use your cellphone, but this is not always pratical). To use it you place the key on the center console by the cup holders.

Also the 3 and Y have phone chargers in the center console (wired and wireless).....where will these be?
Bigvbear...That’s Musk’s diabolical plan. ? In order to open the door and drive the CT you have to use NEURALINK o_O, thereby giving Musk a very large test control group ? to perfect his new brain toy. But the upside, it will be a two way control. :) You can open the doors and start the CT and in turn the CT will control you when you have thoughts :sneaky: of doing something stupid, like full throttle in a school zone. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I don't know where the key card will go but I know where my passport card went when I set it on the console in my X. It went right under the isolating edge, slid along the top of the internal roof of the console compartment and dropped into a slot in the firewall. What a PITA (and good thing I had my paper passport with be that day!).

OP
OP
Bigvbear

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Bigvbear...That’s Musk’s diabolical plan. ? In order to open the door and drive the CT you have to use NEURALINK o_O, thereby giving Musk a very large test control group ? to perfect his new brain toy. But the upside, it will be a two way control. :) You can open the doors and start the CT and in turn the CT will control you when you have thoughts :sneaky: of doing something stupid, like full throttle in a school zone. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tesla Cybertruck Where will we put the "key"? seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Good questions. Maybe they will do away with the card and cell phones :)

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Hoping Tesla provide NO KEY.

Tesla Authentication or a cyber Obscurity scheme to prevent theft and tampering are high on my security feature MOD list

OP
OP
Bigvbear

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hoping Tesla provide NO KEY.

Tesla Authentication or a cyber Obscurity scheme to prevent theft and tampering are high on my security feature MOD list
there are some situations you have to provide a key. IE Valet parking or loaning the vehicle to someone.

There is also the issue Tesla recently had where their internal network crashed and no one could use the app on their cars.

Then there are time you may be out of cellphone range (this IS a truck after all)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There is also the issue Tesla recently had where their internal network crashed and no one could use the app on their cars.
Bluetooth authorization still worked. So people could use their cars via their phones had they already set up the key.

-Crissa

2Futre4u

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor LR 2019 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Trailboss 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Country flag
there are some situations you have to provide a key. IE Valet parking or loaning the vehicle to someone.

Then there are time you may be out of cellphone range (this IS a truck after all)

I live out of cell phone range and my phone works with my model 3, im pretty sure it is bluetooth.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Key is so obvious and simple to hack. I favor TFA type scheme even a mechanical one is fine. Dependencies on starting your truck beyond mechanical are well prone to fail. We have just now overcome “battery” so I’m no fan of adding failure modes.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
With such a powerful computer on board they really should be doing voice print or something. There could still be a proximity key for valet but I shouldn't have to bring anything for cybertruck to identify me. If it can't identify me flawlessly how can I trust it to identify obstacles and safely drive me.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It doesn't need to identify faces to know not to run over an obstacle.

Studies show horses can't identify faces, so...

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
It doesn't need to identify faces to know not to run over an obstacle.

Studies show horses can't identify faces, so...

-Crissa
Tis true but would be nice to not have to carry a key other than my face or voice and a pin number

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Tis true but would be nice to not have to carry a key other than my face or voice and a pin number
Since Tesla is monitoring for driver attention, it would seem that they are keeping a camera on the drivers face. Should add in facial recognition both as a check for authorized driver and for seat/mirror position presets.

Would also be nice to add in remote authorization through my phone for valet drivers etc. My phone is using facial recognition so I could also be authorized through my phone with facial recognition. This would provide a second way to authorize.

The phone connection should also be able to disable or control my car remotely. Say someone steals my car. I ought to be able to have it pull over to the side of the road and self disable. Or lock in the thief and drive them to the closest police station. Especially if I could communicate with those around the car (the thief and police at this point) from my phone.

Along those lines, if I want to check on what my teen is doing in the car I could talk to them through the vehicle. I get that they have their own phone but if they are in trouble I’d like to lock them in the car and drive them home. Or just set the vehicle to a strict obey traffic laws mode.

Lots of possibilities.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla already lets you 'lend' the car to other people through the phone app and check up on it that way, too.

I don't know how granular these are, tho.

-Crissa
Sponsored