[CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS] "White House considers vehicle mileage tax to fund infrastructure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

maconjt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping to be a Cybertruck owner.
Occupation
FMEA Coordinator
Country flag
Yes, cases compared to last July are lower, but deaths compared to last July are doubled (yesterday, two reputable newspaper’s coronavirus tracking stats). I am very glad to hear that you don’t give a damn for people’s lives or the health of the economy. Keep it up.
Don't get your data from the media. The media are fear mongers'. Since you are a "researcher", I would think you would get your own data and not rely on the media. I never once said I didn't care!
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Perhaps a scaling millage tax of some sort? Where EV vehicle value is a factor. While not perfect, this defers some of the tax to those that have the ability to afford and drive a 100k Model S and a lower rate for those that drive a $25k Model 2 for example.

Several states already have license plate registration based on this type of scaling factor, I believe Indiana is one for example unless I am mistaken?

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
Supertankers/cargo ships ARE the worst because they use "bunker fuel" - so let's STOP using these Earth destroying grotesque things, it is estimated that around 5,222 ( another site estimated WAYYYYYYYYYYY more than that) of these things go EVERY DAY: do the MATH with the following paragraph and you will see the TRUE polluters.

"...It has been estimated that just one of these container ships, the length of around six football pitches, can produce the same amount of pollution as 50 million cars. The emissions from 15 of these mega-ships match those from all the cars in the world...."

So I do not view my "fuel-efficient" vehicle (s) as the "PROBLEM".

I read awhile back that trees, bushes, greenery... remove good amounts of Co2. Now I own property (s) with a lot of trees, grass, shrubs..., with THAT in mind I should be receiving good sums of cash because I am "carbon negative" and carbon negative to such a degree I would not be able to be "carbon positive".

But yes, cleaner is better.
World shipping is responsible for about 10% of global GHG emissions. IMO 2020 regulations have greatly addressed this by requiring scrubbers or alternative fuels such as MDO, LNG, and supprisingly, ammonia.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Absolutely! Also, props for quoting Mr. Pratchett. There is a difference here though, one that I regularly help people with in my town, that is the efficiency of internal combustion hasn't changed even with the switch from carburetion to fuel injection. Fuel injection started during the 1980s (I still drive one) with throttle body injection, improved to multiport injection, then direct injection. None of which improved the economy. They all still skirt the minimums of the laws. This history "lesson" is intended to say that I help people keep their rigs running because the old systems work the same as the new systems without the new car cost. I cannot say the same about EV options yet.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
This is a useless argument.

Just because something is small, doesn't mean they don't add up. 60% of US transportation carbon emissions are from passenger cars. And the portion is even higher is you look at sources of smog and other air pollution.

-Crissa
Local air pollution matters because the atmosphere is not homogeneous.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
or repeal that big ass tax gift the GOP gave the rich and corporations, could do allot with that 2 trillion dollars too. At least the COVID bill went to needed stuff (like vaccines) and not giveaways for those who didnt need it.

I agree EVs need to pay for using the roads just like ICE vechiles do. I do not know if I agree with a per mile tax though. ICE vehicles pay a per gallon of gas tax regardless of how many miles said ICE vehicle may travel on the roads for that gallon of gas. For some it could be 5 miles for others 50, but the tax for the gas is the same.

maybe a per KWh tax?
Those “tax raises” in Biden’s bill are in part, unwinding the actions of that other guy.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
...That money is paying for the vaccinations and keeping people from spreading the cases... Are you really saying you shouldn't have taken that Tylenol because your fever went down?

Anyhow, I'm wondering how they'll get mileage without costing us more than we're making off it.

But per mile would get more low-range EVs on the road than big flat fees like we're seeing in some states.

-Crissa
I may be stupid, but California just taxed me or charged me the road tax on my registration for both the Model 3 and the Model S.....for the gas tax I dont have to pay....but I got charged for 13k miles.....I only drive around 5k on each car......

now if it happens, I continue to pay that the a mileage tax on top of that.....when will it stop

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s an easy solution. When you renew your plates, they check your odometer. Pay for the miles driven. I drive a lot more miles than the average person, which unfortunately means I should pay more. It’s only fair.
not that simple if you renew by mail like we do I California.....pictures......they can be doctored by the less than honest people....if in person, DNVs won't have enough space and people to do it....not to mention the lines and hours of waiting

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I may be stupid, but California just taxed me or charged me the road tax on my registration for both the Model 3 and the Model S.....for the gas tax I dont have to pay....but I got charged for 13k miles.....I only drive around 5k on each car......

now if it happens, I continue to pay that the a mileage tax on top of that.....when will it stop
Yeah, I agree that the flat fee is not very efficient and penalizes low-mileage EVs. I was not supportive of it.

But it had broad support among Democrats and Republicans.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Are you asking when will taxes stop? The best hope you have for that one is to die. Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes. And if you are rich enough but not smart enough, possibly your death will be taxed too.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are you asking when will taxes stop? The best hope you have for that one is to die. Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes. And if you are rich enough but not smart enough, possibly your death will be taxed too.
I've already died and gone to Tesla heaven.....hopefully all my taxes will be covered in my estate.....but now I dont know.....looks like inheritance taxes are gonna increase under this administration

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've already died and gone to Tesla heaven.....hopefully all my taxes will be covered in my estate.....but now I dont know.....looks like inheritance taxes are gonna increase under this administration
Unless they change the law, it won’t matter if your estate is less than 5,000,000 dollars.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag

I guess it's the price to pay to live in paradise.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Choices have consequences. This comes to no surprise. He showed his cards before the game started, remember.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.