Who else is excited about Honda’s upcoming BIGGER FRONT GRILL? ?

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
The Fiesta looks completely different (and shares a body with Mazda). It's a much, much larger car. The windows are all different, too. It has a short hatch whereas the Honda has a long one.

The Veloster is copying the Honda... Should Honda stop looking like a Honda? It's also completely different proportions; it's lower and wider in the front. (it also gets the same fuel economy as the much larger Fiesta and Mazda you pointed out).

The CRZ looks like what it does because it does what it did.

-Crissa
That may be technically true, and fans of the hatchback segment would know those design nuances, but the casual observer sees them as looking the same.

Here is a good visual in the SUV/Crossover market to illustrate my point. If you take away the color and wheel differences, one would have a hard time making the case that any of these vehicles is a unique design.
SUV look a like H.jpeg

Credit: Adrian Hanft, "The Zombie-mobile"

Right now, I would never buy an SUV/Crossover due to this. I had SUV's 20 years ago before they were cool because the Utility (4 wheel drive, towing, cargo space) is what I needed at the time.

That's one of the reasons I like the Cybertruck. It IS a unique design.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That may be technically true, and fans of the hatchback segment would know those design nuances, but the casual observer sees them as looking the same.

Here is a good visual in the SUV/Crossover market to illustrate my point. If you take away the color and wheel differences, one would have a hard time making the case that any of these vehicles is a unique design.
SUV look a like H.jpeg

Credit: Adrian Hanft, "The Zombie-mobile"

Right now, I would never buy an SUV/Crossover due to this. I had SUV's 20 years ago before they were cool because the Utility (4 wheel drive, towing, cargo space) is what I needed at the time.

That's one of the reasons I like the Cybertruck. It IS a unique design.
Yeah I see what you mean.
SUV look a like2.jpg

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That picture does away with most of difference in size by scaling them to the same size.

I suppose you could do the same thing for trucks. Or vans. It looks like what it does because of what it does. It's a little box with doors on the sides and one in the rear that tall things fit through. The CRZ is smaller than nearly all of those, it's quicker than many of those, and it's more fuel efficient than nearly all of them. There's a limited number of shapes cars can have, especially when they're trying to have cargo and fuel-efficiency.

And hou can't tell the difference between a crossover and a sport hatchback? They do completely different things. One is quick and efficient on pavement, nimble in corvers. The other ditches some efficiency to gain capability of clearance or traveling over rougher surfaces. I never had trouble on the logging roads in my Civic, but got AWD and a couple inches of clearance would've been really helpful. And that's the difference between a crossover and a hatchback.

And why Mazda has a model 3 and a CX-3.

I would have loved to have the capability but I needed the cheaper and more environmentally friendly one.

-Crissa

cyberforce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
What's wrong with it? C'mon, give some specifics. There is always a truck that does something better.

-Crissa
IMHO alot... Its basically an SUV with an open bed. The 4x4 is very weak and can't go places almost every other similar truck can. It has a niche customer base and you never see them as "work trucks". For the price I'd spend my money on another truck, which is what I did. I compared the Ridgeline, Ranger, Tacoma, and Colorado. The Ranger was hands-down the better of the deal. The Frontier is not a bad truck, just extremely dated. If I wanted a truck, I'd get a truck, if I wanted a Ridgeline I would get a Pilot or CRV. The resale value of a Ridgeline is also horrible compared to its competition, and likely for the reasons I stated above.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
...but no car looks like the CRZ. Like, maybe the Insight or a 70's Z car but what else?

It's a car that looks like what it does. Like the Cybertruck. What else should it look like?

-Crissa
Loved our Honda Z, amazing little car with fantastic mileage, that was my wife’s car which we passed on to my mother, shame it rusted away.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The most utilitarian shape for a vehicle appears to be 2 to 4 doors with a large hatchback, sprinkle style differences... and the crossover is really just a slightly modified station wagon (smaller and/or taller; estate car for those outside the US).

I happen to love the station wagon design, especially with AWD and a trailer hitch. I have owned several and if I was not wanting a truck, that is what I would be pushing for, either Tesla or someone to make a decent AWD EV/PHEV station wagon.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I have a honda crosstour (soon to be sold). When my wife and I decided to consider the tesla MY I was concerned that it would be too compact. We really liked the crosstour because it is roomy and comfortable.
So I compared the cabin dimensions and was surprised that the dimensions were all within a fraction of an inch of each other. This surprised me because my assumption was that the MY was just a taller M3.
When we actually sat/test drove the MY it felt as big and in some ways roomier than the crosstour. I think the reason is simple, internal cab sizes are limited due to the nominal size of humans. The Tesla loses the center hump and the flat floor allows rear feet to fit under the front seat much like seating on an airplane.
The battery pack is a structural element and does raise the cab a few inches so it is a taller ride.
The model Y is about 10 inches shorter than the crosstour but does this because it doesn't need the grill, radiators, fan and engine (in that order- front to back).

So yes, all crossovers are destined to share similar dimensions/designs because they are fitted around engines and the needs of the engines for cooling and exhaust.

The Cybertruck is very cab forward (like a van) and is stated to be designed with a rear casting (front casting?) and structural battery integrated with an mostly exoskeleton chassis.

I think the CT will be efficiently packaged compared to a typical truck thus giving it the perception of being roomier but easier to get in and out due to its suspension but no compromise with clearance and front rear entry angles.

The visibility over the hood may be better as it is shorter and sloped down. It will be nice going over rises to see what is coming.
Sponsored