Who Else is Hoping for a Redesign for Wife's Acceptance?

Will the updated Cybertruck design change your reservation decision?

• I will never buy the Cybertruck. The specs aren't good enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Elon already stated the design is done and it hasnt changed much.... so everyone who currently hates the design.... sorry Im not sorry but your getting what you see. My fiance hates it and thinks its ugly but just like everyone else on here I prefer function over form.

I could care less if it was shaped like the oscar meyerhot dog truck. If it can tow 14k lbs and 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.... I'll take it

As long as I can drive fast around stupid drivers and blow away coal rollers, Im happy
Actually, if it looked like the Weinermobile and could do <3 seconds 0-60 with all the same specs I may pay more for it! Who’s your daddy, now be-ATCH!
Advertisement

CyberT

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD & 2003 Silverado
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
AS the CT rolled on stage at the reveal I said out loud "Oh man, why did they make it look so futuristic? But I put down my deposit within 2 mins anyways. Over the next couple of days my opinion went from "Why?" to "I understand and now appreciate it", to now "its perfect".

My wife does not geek out on tech like I do and basically said "get it if it makes you happy but don't expect me to drive around in it with you". But that changed when I took her to the Peterson Museum last June. I was able to explain and point out the many advantages and what the truck is capable of. She is now totally excited (still not as much as I am) for us to drive out to all the national parks and camp basically anywhere (bucket list item for us).

Bottom Line is you will not be the first in line to buy. Make friends with someone who has an early reservation and go meet up to get an in person impression. You and your wife need to sit inside, experience the capabilities and then decide if its right for your family. Maybe, you might realize that neighbors opinions of what sits in your driveway doesn't matter at all lol.

By this time next year I expect a few thousand CT's will be on the road with thousands of reviews and videos. Be patient.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I currently have the CT preordered because the specs are too good to pass up. Price, range, stainless steel body, large interior to travel w/ family, camping, autopilot, and Supercharger network all considered obvious pros. However, I am waiting to see a hopefully less hideous design (if this triggers you please go bark up another tree) before I'd actually commit to buying. And yes, I understand the functionality of the straight line bends of the stainless to reduce cost, as well as the cybertruck aesthetic. When I say "redesign" I am well aware this thing won't ever look like a traditional truck, but here's the deal......There is no way my wife would ever let us get one w/ the current look. Doesn't matter how good the specs are, this will be sitting in our driveway and neither of us would want such a hideous design being promenaded in front of our neighbors. And yes, I get that no matter what having an unpainted stainless steel body will always get attention.

I am looking forward to the CT update coming next quarter. 3% smaller size, flatter side angle, mirrors?, windshield wiper?. I would like to see what the actual rims look like (not with the hubcaps). I really hope there is an extra bend in the tailgate (or a complete redesign), man that tailgate looks bad. I do think some minor changes could make it much palatable.

Is there anyone else who feels the same way or am I not as a loyal fanboy as the rest of the group?
if its your truck why would you care if your wife likes it ?

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am surprised at the number of comments saying the CT is function over form. I disagree. Good design has many layers of thought, art, and craftsmanship behind it. There are a million ways the CT could have all the same specs and features and look like a box on wheels. Elon and Franz probably went through hundreds of iterations before choosing the final shape. Heck, even just settling on a cohesive design philosophy was probably a difficult process.

I love the aesthetics of the CT.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
If it has not changed much, can someone that is familiar with the process tell me, what takes 1.5 years from reveal? Is it design of the actual manufacturing process? or tweaks to the truck itself?
It's taken 1.5 years to finish the design, they haven't been manufactured yet. This is the crux: under the skin of the final product is radically different from the prototype. The prototype was manufactured in about two weeks time, but to design a production version takes some doing. Elon's got a lot on his plate, between Cybertruck, the semi, giga Berlin and Austin, Spacex, Solar City and procuring nickel and lithium for the foreseeable future. It would have been nice if Tesla could've started making the CT the month after the reveal, but it's going to be another nine months before the trickle of CT starts. Ugh. 2-1/2 years before I get mine? Not happy about waiting, but good things are worth waiting for. :mad:

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
Should have known this site is for the ultra CT purists. I'm pretty sure most replies think I'm wanting a traditional truck when what I really want is a less extreme (changed the word from hideous as that obviously triggered many of you) version as I stated in my original post. Electrek had a good article on this a while back. I think these are the changes I would like to see (plus a few more like tailgate).

https://electrek.co/2020/04/18/tesla-cybertruck-renders-elon-musk-design-changes/

I want to leave a final thought, I know that most of us took a beating during 2018 w/ short-sellers, as well as the difficulty of M3 ramp which left many of us sensitive to any criticism of Tesla. I think that is a natural tendency, but given their stock success last year, I think it is good to be critical. I want this truck to have as much appeal as possible, not only sell to the fringe 30% of this group who stated they would buy it no matter what it looked like. Functionality obviously must remain, but if the design can be tweaked to be less "extreme", what is the harm? After all, most said you'd buy no matter what...

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
Which ones? If I didn't love the CT anyway, bed length would be my issue. Can't imagine doing with less room in the bed than in my Ridgeline. Either truck would probably solve for me, for ground clearance, payload, towing capacity. This is old, but:

1615565404590.png

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If it has not changed much, can someone that is familiar with the process tell me, what takes 1.5 years from reveal? Is it design of the actual manufacturing process? or tweaks to the truck itself?
There's lots of things. The reveal is where the design has been given a prototype, but they don't yet have how they'll build it made yet. They also have to shake out the bugs, as inevitably there are things and corners that don't fit yet.

Then they have get it ready for production, which means securing supplies and making parts and being sure you can do all these things.

Once you have the production-intent model, that's when you do the final safety tests - and all that testing you did before makes sure this version passes.

-Crissa

Dang, there's an ad making the page jump around like crazy.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
Same argument could be used w/ your vacation time. It's my vacation time, why do you care if go to Cancun w/out you?
Yup, Got a sport car. Even though I took her for a test drive, she didn't say anything because she saw that I liked it but after I bought it, she wouldn't get in it because it was too low. The car has spent most of it's life eating dust with occasional short solo rides or arm twisting joint rides. Even though she does not care about CT's look, I know it meets her height, visibility and functional requirements. It still may not be a smart choice if it is too big for her to drive. Some compromises is understandable but not considering what she thinks is not a mistake I will make. If most of your drives are separate and it is just the look we are talking about, it is less of an issue.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Same argument could be used w/ your vacation time. It's my vacation time, why do you care if go to Cancun w/out you?
My spouse and I sometimes go on vacation separately. She hates the cold, for instance, and my sister loves it.

Of course we live together and she works from home, so we rarely spend time apart to begin with!

-Crissa

OP
OP

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
Which ones? If I didn't love the CT anyway, bed length would be my issue. Can't imagine doing with less room in the bed than in my Ridgeline. Either truck would probably solve for me, for ground clearance, payload, towing capacity. This is old, but:

1615565404590.png
In order, price, supercharger network, bed size, stainless steel body, autopilot.

Advertisement

Advertisement