Who Else is Hoping for a Redesign for Wife's Acceptance?

Will the updated Cybertruck design change your reservation decision?

• I will never buy the Cybertruck. The specs aren't good enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blue Steel

First Name
MP
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Prime
Occupation
Mgmt
Country flag
I'm definitely on board IN SPITE OF how the truck looks. I am the type of person that wants to be invisible most of the time. But I would not want to trade standard truck looks for paint and less functionality and a higher price (looking your way, Rivian).

Advertisement

cybrtrk_maybe

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500 promaster, Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
For me, it's the bottom line. I like the specifications for the tri-motor. If I like the specifications at the time of delivery and if I can afford it at that time, then I'm still in.

Oh yeah, this is a thread about wife acceptance... makes me think of the man song...

Last edited:

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Reaction score
Vehicles
21model3,,71F250,88Dakota,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I currently have the CT preordered because the specs are too good to pass up. Price, range, stainless steel body, large interior to travel w/ family, camping, autopilot, and Supercharger network all considered obvious pros. However, I am waiting to see a hopefully less hideous design (if this triggers you please go bark up another tree) before I'd actually commit to buying. And yes, I understand the functionality of the straight line bends of the stainless to reduce cost, as well as the cybertruck aesthetic. When I say "redesign" I am well aware this thing won't ever look like a traditional truck, but here's the deal......There is no way my wife would ever let us get one w/ the current look. Doesn't matter how good the specs are, this will be sitting in our driveway and neither of us would want such a hideous design being promenaded in front of our neighbors. And yes, I get that no matter what having an unpainted stainless steel body will always get attention.

I am looking forward to the CT update coming next quarter. 3% smaller size, flatter side angle, mirrors?, windshield wiper?. I would like to see what the actual rims look like (not with the hubcaps). I really hope there is an extra bend in the tailgate (or a complete redesign), man that tailgate looks bad. I do think some minor changes could make it much palatable.

Is there anyone else who feels the same way or am I not as a loyal fanboy as the rest of the group?
I've never been a fanboy for anything. However, I have driven some abjectly ugly vehicles in my time. Some out of necessity, some (most) just because they were built in the 1980s. In comparison the design of the C.T. does not bother me past the shock value. As for my wife, she understands my want for the truck as a replacement for the classically homely 1971 Ford F250 camper special regular cab beast of a truck that I have been keeping alive and well for the past 15 years. The C.T. specifications are just too good. The only aspect of the C.T. that isn't to my standard is the 6.5 foot bed. I use all 8 feet of my truck bed and the 20+ feet of my truck rack regularly because I do not have, nor do I want a trailer. Aesthetics are fashion, they change quickly and are in the eye of the beholder. I am certain that the trucks I drive, the 1966 Ford Galaxie that I am rebuilding, and the choice of color of my house are not to the liking of many people. But, people do not make my choices for me. If my neighbors do not like the look of my vehicles they can certainly complain, but they are not the ones paying my bills.

azjohn

First Name
john
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Which ones? If I didn't love the CT anyway, bed length would be my issue. Can't imagine doing with less room in the bed than in my Ridgeline. Either truck would probably solve for me, for ground clearance, payload, towing capacity. This is old, but:

1615565404590.png
For me the Tesla Super charger network keeps me from considering a Rivian. I am no stranger to owning a polarizing vehicle ( used to own a former miltary issue H1 Hummvee in the early 2000s

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Should have known this site is for the ultra CT purists. I'm pretty sure most replies think I'm wanting a traditional truck when what I really want is a less extreme (changed the word from hideous as that obviously triggered many of you) version as I stated in my original post. Electrek had a good article on this a while back. I think these are the changes I would like to see (plus a few more like tailgate).

https://electrek.co/2020/04/18/tesla-cybertruck-renders-elon-musk-design-changes/

I want to leave a final thought, I know that most of us took a beating during 2018 w/ short-sellers, as well as the difficulty of M3 ramp which left many of us sensitive to any criticism of Tesla. I think that is a natural tendency, but given their stock success last year, I think it is good to be critical. I want this truck to have as much appeal as possible, not only sell to the fringe 30% of this group who stated they would buy it no matter what it looked like. Functionality obviously must remain, but if the design can be tweaked to be less "extreme", what is the harm? After all, most said you'd buy no matter what...
I don't think the design can be changed because the SS body is so thick it can't be stamped, only scored, folded and welded. Thing is, we'll buy it no matter what, but we like the design as it is. :D

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Nissan Leaf and 2016 Toyota Prius V.
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
My wife liked the looks way before they grew on me.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Yep, you still need to grow a pair. LOL
In Bob's defense, I must say, neither his wife nor he like the design as it is...
I understand, Cybertruck just isn't for everyone. Maybe someday someone will make a fiberglass electric truck with a more traditional look, for no rustables...

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van, 5 ton Military truck, Pierce Firetruck
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
For several years after I retired from the Army I collected surplus military vehicles. I supported my habit by selling them to equally deranged collectors and by scrapping some of them out.
At one time I had over thirty vehicles holding down the dirt up here on the farm.
My long suffering wife finally put the brakes on my "Green Iron Fever" and I promised to go on the wagon.
That lasted until a 900 series 5 ton truck came up for auction near me and no one was bidding on it. I ended up getting it and having to flat tow it home behind one of my other 5 tons.
I managed to get it home while she was at work and I stashed it in the back forty with the other vehicles.
A few weeks went by and one day she hooked the stock trailer to the Dodge dually and headed out to the local livestock auction.
She got home and backed the trailer up to the barn and opened the tailgate.
It looked like Noah's ark unloading as goats, sheep, cows, emus and other assorted other critters unassed the trailer.
When the trailer was empty I walked over and asked "did we need more critters" (we already had a lot of varied animals on the place).
Without blinking she said "I don't know.......did we need another 5 ton?"
That was the last MV I bought mostly because the source of cheap vehicles dried up and the market was flooded.
I then decided I needed a fire truck and I bought one through govdeals.com.
When I drove it in the yard she asked "why in the hell did you buy a firetruck?"
To which I replied "because I didn't have one."
I haven't sprang the CT on her yet because know the argument will be that we need to replace the 04 Dodge with a 62K new Dodge dually.
I'd rather spend the money to keep the old one running and drive a new CT so I guess we will see what happens when I drive it into the yard.

TruckDaddy

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Haha! Love how everyone says grow a pair, like it's ever a good idea to spend $50k w/out wife's knowledge or approval.
The last 4 cars I bought in the last 3 years, I just showed up with them. She only disliked 1 of them, and it is already gone. So, my average is not bad.

When I told her I was buying a CT, she said, "Are you serious?"

LoPro

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
My wife knows to just say “ok” to get out of me nerdily starting an intense wordflow to convince her over to my side which will only lead to her agreeing anyway when she gets other things to do.

She put dibs on our Model 3 though. She’s worried about the attention the CT will get and the length. But see all the same practical benefits of the CT as I do. Firewood hauling and moving trash and things not withstanding. We’re (only) used to the biggest Volvos with a trailer in the snow and shit (some times literally, at her family’s farms). My father in law will approve of the bed of the CT, and he thought the Model 3 was amazingly fun. Couldn’t stop talking about the “moving satellite map” on the big screen. Some initial confusion about why the animals weren’t in the correct place on it.

We both know it’s going to be great to the cabin with all the stuff we bring back and forth and where the “road” routinely falls out, and which the local paid guy has a hard time of keeping clear of snow buildup with his tractor.

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I put a lot of time into researching things especially purchases. I used to keep salt water fish, had a Queen Trigger fish she had named Research and a Miniatus Grouper Tax Return

My wife knows of the CT and doesn't care if I bought it or not, she is most concerned about cost of ownership

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Storytime: Willy’s couldn’t sell to family men or women. It tried a woody wagon even - no deal. It wasn’t until AMC bought the Willy’s marque and put an automatic transmission in it. Then Familyman could show the wife (who would be on the loan) she could drive it, too. ~1965 circa Jeeps sold like hot cakes and JEEP became its own marque. The rest is history.

Today the story has changed. TCO is going to make or break families. That’s just reality by 2030 everyone will deal with their reality. Earlybirds may be true winners, IDK. But $10k price increases are favoring the former over Johanny-come-lately’s.

Women used to own “the pocketbook”. Their iron grip may not be on the wallet but INFO/NAV. Tesla center screen afford a compendium of dynamics such as GAIA tracking, kiddo tracking, Roadside Assistance, Home Monitoring, Supercharger Network, Grid Networks, Backup Powerwall, onboard 110v plugin, onboard air kit, mobile Internet, onboard WiFi, etc… Choose three. That’s power.

I am blown away how much easier adding a tablet to the passenger side calmed rides in my truck. GAIA equalized the power dynamic, ended Speedtrap anxiety and almost eliminated GasGauge FOMO. I know where empty sits on the dial. She never wants to find out! Tesla’s center screen is not to be under estimated. My first vote would encourage Tesla to sideload a second screen functionality for passenger WAZE speedtrap, Gaia.app and really buildout Superchargers-to-grid AI for rate pricing ala TX-style. Those are her top three ride calming addictions. We are now fighting a $300 Electric rate increase at home. It all matters!

Advertisement

Advertisement