Who Plans on Towing? And What is Their Plan?

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Regen should help keep speeds down with the downhill side. I will assume the truck can tow anything up a hill on a road within it's tow capacity. Until there are actually some in drivers hands, we won't really know.
Advertisement

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Regen helps with braking, and electric motors tend to fail in a high-resistance mode. So 'run away' is not something they do. 'Melt into a puddle' is a possibility, but Tesla does this less than anyone else.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
From 2016 using optional Tow Package
The tow package disabled Autopilot features at the time, was what I was pointing out.

Also, the Model X has very little cross-section, and hence very little shadow for a trailer to sit in behind it. Which means it'll have the highest drop in range from towing nearly anything.

-Crissa

FrostyCT

Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 MustangGT-700rwhp, '21 Model 3 LR, CyberTruck.
Occupation
Self employed - refrigeration service
Country flag
I plan on towing my Mustang to the race track. 70 miles each way.

richardlpaul

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My plan is to tow a 23 foot Airstream. My whole reason for getting a CT is to tow the airstream!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I plan on towing my Mustang to the race track. 70 miles each way.
Just sell the mustang and upgrade to the tri motor. Probably faster and you don't have to mess with a trailer.

Dave Lyon

Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
I would love to see CT specific SC’s at truck stops, card lock locations, and rest areas. Ability to use the mega charger infrastructure would be brilliant. That type of charging infrastructure thinking will start to win over truck owners.
The CT won't be able to use a mega charger. The battery can't handle charging that fast.

Dave Lyon

Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
I live full time in a 40 foot fifth wheel. I've ordered a CT in hopes that it can pull it, but it's not likely. If it can't, I'll have to switch to the semi, or stay with diesel for a while longer.

My plan is to tow for about 200 miles on a travel day, then stop for lunch and a charge, then pull another 200 miles and charge up at the campground. It's pretty optimistic to think I'll get that much range pulling a 17K lb high profile trailer, so my plan may not work at all.

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
It's pretty optimistic to think I'll get that much range pulling a 17K lb high profile trailer, so my plan may not work at all.
Yeah that'd depend on a significant towing capacity increase for CT. As I understand it the current limit for the tri-motor is 14K lb.

I expect to be towing the occasional rented bobcat and such, and custom mid-sized box trailer built for toy hauling at 80MPH that I have yet to design. I don't see anything all that interesting there, except the prospect of designing a nice toy-hauler for the Cybertruck. That might need to handle the Cyberquad, a couple of kayaks and a RIB with an electric outboard.

Our current 42 foot cabin cruiser can't be towed (too big) but it has crossed my mind that eventually we'll be selling her and, depending on where we decide to live, something towable might happen. I will then be very interested in the boat launch use-case. We used to have a trailerable sailboat and Dodge Dakota. I hated launching - seemed like there was always too much drama involved in getting the boat afloat without sinking the truck!

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
Keep the old one, and slowly adjust to the new one, is how I will go at it.​

This is how we transitioned to our 2 electric cars. There are times the Jeep makes more sense, rather than our Leaf or Model 3. But slowly we're going 100% electric.

Things will change with the CT for sure. For example, I may sell one trailer and get another more suitable for my CT, possibly wider or shorter, or the reverse.

I definitely don't think I should plan on towing exactly the same things, in the same was as before. In other words, ..,clearing throat.., I purchased my two trailers to fit my current truck well. Why would I now expect to tow exactly the same loads with the CT?

For example, been using my new electric chain saw & weed wacker. They work much better than gas, but still I had to start the old gas saw to take out a stump that the lighter weight electric saw just wouldn't do. Good thing I kept the old saw.

It's called "a transitional phase".

Gosh I can't wait for my CT!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
We've had a 20' 3500 pound travel trailer for a few years. At first it was towed with a 2015 Wrangler four-door, and now a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon. I have no doubt that the CT will tow better than the Gladiator. It does fine as far as handling and control, but the fuel economy is ludicrously horrible. So I'm pretty sure range will be better on the CT. Also it needs a weight distribution hitch with the Rubicon's soft/tall springs, but I'm sure it will not with the CT. Therefore, unhitching will be trivial. Without WD, I can have it on/off in 90 seconds easy.

I have yet to see a SC station with a pull through in person, though I've seen pics of them.

Cybertruckee

First Name
Mon
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, Nissan
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Most logical is for Cybertruck towing trailer will be given access to Semis charging station. If the infrastructure for CT for towing trailer won't be able to catch, I'm planning to sell my trailer and simply replace it with truck camper. It's too much hassle to unhook to charge with my weight distribution, etc.

Advertisement

Advertisement