Who Plans on Towing? And What is Their Plan?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Solution to what? Sorry I just don't see a problem at all. It works for me, my second-favorite SC out there. Autism prevents me seeing some unspoken clues, so maybe I'm just missing something.
Not everyone can easily jump a curb. Or walk on gravel.

And if you can mandate that people pave paths for cars, you can mandate that businesses allow pedestrian interlinks to their neighbors.

I see a pretty simple line across the parking lots connecting the chargers, the door of the Carl's Jr, then across the street mid-block to the minit-mart. Mostly paint, a little cement, and it would be ADA approved.

-Crissa
Advertisement

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra Hybrid (2-Mode)
Country flag
When traveling in Europe a couple decades ago, I noticed petrol filling stations were located on the freeway as part of rest stops, some with restaurants. You didn't get off the freeway like in the US. I'd like to see this happen in the US. Once EVs become more prevalent, gas stations will either be converted or simply re-purposed into something else (after toxic tanks removed and a proper hazardous waste removal performed). Ev charging stations don't have to be located in the middle of towns, just put them where they will fit, like along major roads and highways.
We have these in the US, too.

The last service island I was on was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I seem to remember most of them being on I-95 in New England. They're more common in the Northeast than in any other part of the US.

There's something similar on I-57 on the way out of Chicago. That one has a food court which spans the highway, and service islands as well.

An honorable mention for the best service-island-which-isn't-a-service-island goes out to Tamarack on I-77 in Southern West Virginia.

I can tell who on this board hasn't traveled extensively on the East Coast...!

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra Hybrid (2-Mode)
Country flag
Not everyone can easily jump a curb. Or walk on gravel.

And if you can mandate that people pave paths for cars, you can mandate that businesses allow pedestrian interlinks to their neighbors.

I see a pretty simple line across the parking lots connecting the chargers, the door of the Carl's Jr, then across the street mid-block to the minit-mart. Mostly paint, a little cement, and it would be ADA approved.

-Crissa
The real issue is that the space often just isn't designed to be pedestrian friendly.

I *can* walk across a 4-lane road and an embankment to get from one strip-mall to another, but it's awkward, because I'm not using the space as intended.

Also, when you use the space in some way other than the way it was intended, you are often in a place where drivers aren't looking for people. That can take the teamwork out of keeping myself safe from traffic -- it's all me.

I really wish a lot of these places would pay more attention to the pedestrian experience.

John K

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The patch of dirt is considered a faux medium without the construction. Similar to a set of double yellow lines. Arizona does not want to even lay down asphalt.

The faux medium is to save construction add allow emergency vehicles to cross without jumping curbs.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
There is a row of chargers for people with special needs in the Carl’s lot, and two of those are even wheelchair compatible.

richardlpaul

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was reading an older article on towing w/ a Model X and it got me thinking about the Supercharger experience w/ towing. The author stated he had to unhitch most of the time to SC, and since most SC (including new V3s being installed) are back-in vs pull-through, I was curious what readers on this site plans are. I haven't seen one, are there long cables to avoid taking up other stalls? Or is unhitching the only option on a long-haul RV trip?

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-a-tesla-model-x-thank-elon-for-superchargers
I am buying a CT purely for the reason of towing. I'll be towing an Airstream with the trimotor. Guessing I'll get 250-300 mile range towing, which will be plenty.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I saw that the other day and forgot to post it. I would 100% do that for sure, I run over curbs and bumpers in my Jeeps all the time. Saves on the reverse gear. But...around me, I feel like every stall has the "EV charging only" signs in front of them. That is also the crappiest and oldest looking SC that I've seen so far.

PointHope

First Name
Axle
Reaction score
Vehicles
RN113415***,RN113855***
Occupation
Resource Management
Country flag
I am buying a CT purely for the reason of towing. I'll be towing an Airstream with the trimotor. Guessing I'll get 250-300 mile range towing, which will be plenty.
Yea me too, but haven't got a trailer yet.
I'm hoping someone like Airstream will start building a solar roofed trailer with a big battery engineered to work with the CT.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
There is no reason at all for trailers to be built with all that from the factory. It's easy and economical to add it on. Because of the way the CT interfaces to the world, every trailer currently made will work just fine with it. My existing one can just plug into the CT's bed and work. There is no evidence that the CT will have any specialized electrical connectivity, and Must has previously stated his reluctance to do that.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yea me too, but haven't got a trailer yet.
I'm hoping someone like Airstream will start building a solar roofed trailer with a big battery engineered to work with the CT.
Elon could make that happen quicker than iconic Airstream. Tesla know how to cut drag trucating the rear profile to eliminate airflow attachment responsible for Airstream drag coefficient.

Of course, Elon’s would be exoskeletal structural stainless steel with vision and solar panels named “Cyberstream“. SWAG curb weight for a 21’ < 1900#; 28’< 2600#(i.e. lbs) including Starlink interconnect for Cybertruck, CyberHVAC and dynamic load balance.

I’d choose Cyberstream option Rivian pullout Kitchen! LOL

prl99

Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota Tacoma, registered for dual motor CT
Country flag
There is no reason at all for trailers to be built with all that from the factory. It's easy and economical to add it on. Because of the way the CT interfaces to the world, every trailer currently made will work just fine with it. My existing one can just plug into the CT's bed and work. There is no evidence that the CT will have any specialized electrical connectivity, and Must has previously stated his reluctance to do that.
Already available, https://www.colonialairstream.com/airstream-rv-trailers-motorhomes/solar-panels/ also https://amsolar.com/airstream-trailers. Didn't take much to find them but they look small compared to what Ogre (?) has said would be needed to re-power a CT is a reasonable amount of time. Of course, I'm sure someone could build the same thing out of readily available parts for half the price of these. Take off the "for Airstream" and it might actually be reasonable. My Roofnest rooftop tent is 85" x 50" and supposedly aerodynamically designed so adding 29 square feet of semi-flexible solar panels might not be enough to really help but it couldn't hurt.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Elon could make that happen quicker than iconic Airstream. Tesla know how to cut drag trucating the rear profile to eliminate airflow attachment responsible for Airstream drag coefficient.
As if Tesla doesn’t have enough on their plate at the moment! I was pretty surprised they said they were making the quad myself.

Advertisement

Advertisement