Who Plans on Towing? And What is Their Plan?

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Instead of buying some specific "EV" friendly trailer, I would much rather choose from hundreds of different conventional travel trailers and find just the right one for me, then add solar panels to the roof (not difficult or outrageously expensive), and then add a bank of lithium iron batteries (a little spendy, but way cheaper than some "niche" trailer).
Advertisement

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I would much rather choose from hundreds of different travel trailers and find just the right one for me, then add solar panels to the roof (not difficult or outrageously expensive), and then add a bank of lithium iron batteries (a little spendy, but way cheaper than some "niche" trailer).
+1, living layout is VERY important and can't be changed much. The power system is easy to change.

Source: Lifetime of RV and cabin boat living.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
+1, living layout is VERY important and can't be changed much. The power system is easy to change.

Source: Lifetime of RV and cabin boat living.
👍
Fancy, trendy, futuristic exterior is cool, but you gotta live in the inside!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
👍
Fancy, trendy, futuristic exterior is cool, but you gotta live in the inside!
Plus, the fancy trendy futuristic exterior probably increases cost big 3x.

Probably a lot more affordable to increase truck capacity than some trailer setup regardless. Solar on the truck or solar charging ports on the truck or better both would be king.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Cost and weight. The Airstream with the same amount of living space as my current trailer weighs nearly double, and costs OVER triple. I don't give one damn what the outside looks like, and am really looking at building out a cargo trailer with a nice custom interior. The outside can look like a box, who cares?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cost and weight. The Airstream with the same amount of living space as my current trailer weighs nearly double, and costs OVER triple. I don't give one damn what the outside looks like, and am really looking at building out a cargo trailer with a nice custom interior. The outside can look like a box, who cares?
I do care about range. Aerodynamics is more important than appearance. I’m far more likely to get something smaller regardless.

ideally, sleep in the truck for climate trailer is for cooking stuff.

prl99

Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota Tacoma, registered for dual motor CT
Country flag
I do care about range. Aerodynamics is more important than appearance. I’m far more likely to get something smaller regardless.

I already have a 5x10 cargo trailer which fits nicely behind my Tacoma and wouldn't even be noticed by the CT. Only problem is the nice door locking mechanisms which would not work once I'm on the inside. Would need an escape hatch to lock from the outside then climb into the trailer. My back door is a drop-down ramp while I also have a side door. It would be easier to buy a heavy duty flatbed trailer and build a simple rectangular box on top using aluminum and ultralight boards (how my Camplite trailer was constructed). Of course, I should worry if the box weighed 300 lbs instead of 150 lbs, the trailer would still weigh the most.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Not sure if you've had a travel trailer before, but I have found that I much prefer cooking outside with a portable stove and a small portable table next to it (under the awning attached to the trailer if it's raining). The kitchens in most trailers are not great, stove is small, and can't actually use 2 pans/pots at a time, the ventilation is terrible and counterspace is really limited, especially in a "smaller" trailer. So for me, the trailer is for sleeping, reading, socializing when it's cold out. Propane forced air heat works fine to keep warm, but if you need AC, you need shore power or a monster battery set up.

If there are only one or two of you, a Casita is a great option (its a fiberglass "egg"), light weight, aerodynamic, will last forever and unlikely to leak with simple maintenance (unlike virtually every other trailer out there). We had one, but the family of 5 was a little too tight 😁.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Instead of buying some specific "EV" friendly trailer, I would much rather choose from hundreds of different conventional travel trailers and find just the right one for me, then add solar panels to the roof (not difficult or outrageously expensive), and then add a bank of lithium iron batteries (a little spendy, but way cheaper than some "niche" trailer).
Well, eventually a company doing it will be cheaper and more put together than what we can do on our own. So there's no reason not to encourage them.

If I get a trailer, it had better work in all weather.

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, eventually a company doing it will be cheaper and more put together than what we can do on our own. So there's no reason not to encourage them.

If I get a trailer, it had better work in all weather.

-Crissa
Possible, haven't really seen it yet, usually there's a premium for "solar panel ready" or "inverter ready" , and really big premium for significant solar panels, battery capacity and inverter. My preference, is as someone who is handy enough to diy much of it.

Even if a company ends up doing it cheaper than I can DIY upgrade, it will be a very long time before that kind of option is available on the hundreds of different floor plans, sizes and features that are available with traditional travel trailers.

If you want a trailer to work in all weather conditions, look for a four seasons option which usually has an insulated and enclosed underbelly that can be heated and heat pads on the tanks, sometimes they have better insulation in walls and ceilings. Otherwise most trailers are fine in anything except freezing conditions. If you dry camp, then freezing conditions don't matter much.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not sure if you've had a travel trailer before, but I have found that I much prefer cooking outside with a portable stove and a small portable table next to it (under the awning attached to the trailer if it's raining). The kitchens in most trailers are not great, stove is small, and can't actually use 2 pans/pots at a time, the ventilation is terrible and counterspace is really limited, especially in a "smaller" trailer. So for me, the trailer is for sleeping, reading, socializing when it's cold out. Propane forced air heat works fine to keep warm, but if you need AC, you need shore power or a monster battery set up.

If there are only one or two of you, a Casita is a great option (its a fiberglass "egg"), light weight, aerodynamic, will last forever and unlikely to leak with simple maintenance (unlike virtually every other trailer out there). We had one, but the family of 5 was a little too tight 😁.
Right now our camping rig is our Tesla Model 3. We have a nice ice chest, a portable propane burner, and a portable camp fire.

I don’t plan on changing too much up until I get the truck and then we’ll play it by ear. Lots of unknowns about whether the truck will have climate in the vault or not. Ideally I’d like to sleep in the cabin and use the vault and other storage for cooking and keeping gear and not have to deal with a trailer at all. I just don’t know what will work until we get it.

PointHope

First Name
Axle
Reaction score
Vehicles
RN113415***,RN113855***
Occupation
Resource Management
Country flag
Elon could make that happen quicker than iconic Airstream. Tesla know how to cut drag trucating the rear profile to eliminate airflow attachment responsible for Airstream drag coefficient.

Of course, Elon’s would be exoskeletal structural stainless steel with vision and solar panels named “Cyberstream“. SWAG curb weight for a 21’ < 1900#; 28’< 2600#(i.e. lbs) including Starlink interconnect for Cybertruck, CyberHVAC and dynamic load balance.

I’d choose Cyberstream option Rivian pullout Kitchen! LOL
That would be a fantastic option, and a great name.
Plus the 'form follows function' of Tesla would make it better than an Airstream antique which are a PITA to fix and maintain.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
As if Tesla doesn’t have enough on their plate at the moment! I was pretty surprised they said they were making the quad myself.
Quads are not on Tesla roadmap but CyberQuad is made for CT.
Airstreams are not on its mission roadmap but CyberStream? There might be a market at some point for a trailer that does more than a travel trailer and used in a way that only a Cybertruck can for CyberNomads

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Quads are not on Tesla roadmap but CyberQuad is made for CT.
Airstreams are not on its mission roadmap but CyberStream? There might be a market at some point for a trailer that does more than a travel trailer and used in a way that only a Cybertruck can for CyberNomads
They certainly showed a trailer in the Cybertruck launch. Maybe they are going to launch a whole line-up for the Cybertruck out of Texas. Trailer, vault tent, kitchen gear, Cyberquad.

Seems like a stretch, but it would be a good way for them grow margins and ensure an eco-system for truck owners.

Advertisement

Advertisement