I actually came here today to post this very question.
The answer for me is yes, I would plop down a real down payment now to have some sort of a delivery window for my CT, even if that window is up to 4 months wide.
I currently drive an ICE vehicle that is in need of replacement in 1 - 1-1/2 years, and my current CT res # is at around 80,000. I feel that I am stuck as I can't lease a new Tesla now, and even buying a used Tesla would probably not be worth it when factoring in depreciation.
I'd put 10-20% down once the details are known. I reserved the night of the reveal. I do need to see the final specs and accessories, since I'm going to be exchanging my diesel tow vehicle (Full-time RV'er) for the tri-motor CT. Details like, how many miles towing a 9000 lb trailer?, can a 5th wheel hitch be installed?, Can I mount a kayak rack?, Will the CT be self-leveling while towing?, etc. So many unknown details to consider. I plan my travel/recreation a year out.
If Tesla sent me a detailed doc with the specs and a high def video of an outside walk around along with the interior( just needs to be done once [ then all people could be sent it] and it doesn't have to be long 30 secs maybe a minute). Coupled with a legally binding agreement that NO changes will occur to that which I sign, then I would pay 10-50-100%.
I’d pony up a fair amount more to get Tesla to commit to shipping the CT (as is) to Europe (Norway). I can see why it would be more important to see how serious the preorder holders over here were before starting a whole export operation on the CT production lines. I assume our prices will also cover the cost of transportation and export operations too (and lost easy sales in Texas area), else it wouldn’t make much business sense to export the CT which has such a huge market back home in NA. But one boatload or two to Northern Europe would probably suffice to cover current serious preorders so don’t worry (assuming a production line won’t be set up in Berlin).