John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
It’s too big. The container for a cover like that (strong enough you can stand on) needs to be at least 8-12 inches per side. As @Crissa suggests, it would block the already small back window.
Replace back window with a screen, everyone can now see out the back via camera feed regardless if cover is closed or carrying a load.

Oh crap, another 5 month delay while Tesla considers the feature. 😁
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
It’s not a good trade.

The loss of the window I could cope with. Having a goofy, difficult to access section of the bed up front I could not. The blue section at the bottom is super weird and compromised space.

1649203190913.png

The slanted portion up front and the overhang is weird/ bad enough. Putting the cover up there would seriously screw up a lot of uses. If you are putting bikes or motorcycles in the vault, it’s effectively a 5 foot long bed which sucks.

Lots of other reasons, but for me that is bad enough.
Somewhere in there, there is a shape or pattern where that cover can be rolled up if done right like a Russian doll with a C channel structure in a stupidly efficient manner . Somebody needs to get AI on that pronto!

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
It’s too big. The container for a cover like that (strong enough you can stand on) needs to be at least 8-12 inches per side. As @Crissa suggests, it would block the already small back window.
9 1/4" x 9 3/4" canister size for a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit roll-up tonneau cover for a 6 1/2' bed, actually. So, yeah, it would take up a little space there.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Regarding the tonneau cover conflicting with the mid-gate, take another look at this video from the Reveal Day and note the position of the tonneau cover *inside* what would be the midgate while the cover is fully open:

Why can't the midgate fold forward with the tonneau cover inside of it? The tonneau cover already makes a 90deg corner in the process of opening/closing. Ergo it is flexible enough to make a 90 deg bend the other way as the mid-gate folds down. The tracks for the tonneau are already part of the would-be midgate.

Perhaps there need not be any conflict between the retractable tonneau and a folding midgate.

Note too - way back in 2019 they already had a fully functioning retractable tonneau cover (quite elegantly at that) without an extended roof.

I am not convinced that extending the roof had anything to do with the tonneau or the mid-gate, and think there must be another reason.
So... You can't close the tonneau with the midgate down in this scenario... No camping I guess. Also, no covering those 8' sheets you have back there. I was actually thinking it'd be neat to be able use the bed like a sleeping area while using the climate controls...

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So... You can't close the tonneau with the midgate down in this scenario... No camping I guess. Also, no covering those 8' sheets you have back there. I was actually thinking it'd be neat to be able use the bed like a sleeping area while using the climate controls...
I think you could close it, and then drop the midgate

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I mean once you have the tonneau open and the midgate down and your lumber loaded, you wouldn't be able to close the tonneau... Because it is down in the midgate or below the midgate, whatever. No, the tonneau needs to be rolled up above a midgate so you can have the tonneau closed and the midgate open. Camping, securing a long load, etc.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Still think that if you want a midgate you get rid of the the vault cover completely and use another peice of glass with embedded solar that slides open, up and over the rear roof. Doesn’t get in the way of anything, doesn't take up space, super easy to make, install and operate. You can open and close it with the midgate down, with or without load, or whilst sleeping in the back. A glorified bed sunroof.

I think Rivian uses a Venetian blind type folding mechanism to pack the cover strips together nice and tight .

Last edited:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
that slides open, up and over the rear roof.
I feel like we are going in circles on this subject, but anyway...

In your design, can you drive the vehicle with the glass slid open? For example, could you put the cyberquad in the back and drive it somewhere?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Circles over multiple threads...

In my revised CAD drawing with the longer rear roof the sliding bed cover is still about 4-6 inches longer than the rear roof. That means you'd have to either let it hang over the bed or roof apex. Which is stupid for airflow, but it could be repositioned for driving.

The easiest thing though would be just a additional flap that makes up length difference that folds out of the way when it opens or ideally another 2-3inches of roof extension would make it fit. The point is it's really close to working dimensionally.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I mean once you have the tonneau open and the midgate down and your lumber loaded, you wouldn't be able to close the tonneau... Because it is down in the midgate or below the midgate, whatever. No, the tonneau needs to be rolled up above a midgate so you can have the tonneau closed and the midgate open. Camping, securing a long load, etc.
You would need to have the cover closed before you opened the midgate and slide anything under it.

For camping you would enter through the rear doors and climb into the shared area.

Not ideal, but it could work? Maybe?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Still think that if you want a midgate you get rid of the the vault cover completely and use another peice of glass with embedded solar that slides open, up and over the rear roof. Doesn’t get in the way of anything, doesn't take up space, super easy to make, install and operate. You can open and close it with the midgate down, with or without load, or whilst sleeping in the back. A glorified bed sunroof.

I think Rivian uses a Venetian blind type folding mechanism to pack the cover strips together nice and tight .
Given the choice, I’d prefer the retracting cover to the midgate. If there is some low compromise way to add a midgate then I’m all for it. Otherwise stick with what they got.

The retracting cover seemed pretty popular on reveal night and I highly doubt they will get rid of it for a clumsy folding solution or a fabric cover.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Given the choice, I’d prefer the retracting cover to the midgate. If there is some low compromise way to add a midgate then I’m all for it. Otherwise stick with what they got.

The retracting cover seemed pretty popular on reveal night and I highly doubt they will get rid of it for a clumsy folding solution or a fabric cover.
It would be a solid peice of glass like a large sunroof, no soft material required. And if they did use the vault slats, they could all stack ontop of eachother instead of on a roll.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I don't think there will be a midgate...or window that opens...would act like a guillotine.

They needed to shorten the overall truck so they made the cabin smaller by moving the rear seats forward prob 5 inches...along with the bed moving it all forward..then shorten the front a good 3 inches. His goal was to reduce size about 3-4 percent from original 231.7. An 8 inch reduction is close to this. Pretty sure the bed floor is still 6.5ft long but gets shorter as you go up vertically.

Cyber rodeo ppl better get some good pics and measurements 🤞

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It would be a solid peice of glass like a large sunroof, no soft material required. And if they did use the vault slats, they could all stack ontop of eachother instead of on a roll.
I’ve seen people’s sketches of how they think this could happen and it always seems to involve either losing massive headroom in the back seat, losing vault space, panels sitting on top of the roof when you can’t close it, or some kind of manual removal of panels.

I seriously love the mechanic they demoed on launch day. I’m quite skeptical some kind of panel system is going to out-magic that.
Sponsored