Why extend the roof?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I’ve seen people’s sketches of how they think this could happen and it always seems to involve either losing massive headroom in the back seat, losing vault space, panels sitting on top of the roof when you can’t close it, or some kind of manual removal of panels.
I'm surprised no one has suggested the obvious solution to this issue. Simply use a transdimensional portal and store the cover in a different dimension when not needed!

Tesla Cybertruck Why extend the roof? 1649261819473

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I'm surprised no one has suggested the obvious solution to this issue. Simply use a transdimensional portal and store the cover in a different dimension when not needed!

1649261819473.png
Aha! Thats how you and Crissa keep switching places! Lol ;) ;)

samson

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Occupation
yolo'r
Country flag
Any theories on why they extended the rear portion of the glass roof, which used to line up with the rear edge of the rear doors? (Aesthetically I liked it better before.)

Assuming this change doesn't add leg room in the backseat by moving the seats backwards (and therefore doesn't shorten the bed), I am wondering what is gained from an engineering perspective.

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2021.02.24-06_55_30 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 6.18.25 PM.jpg

My one theory of the extended roof could be that the tonneau cover instead of rolling behind maybe its slides under the pano roof. very unlikely because of the patent and stuff but this is much simpler.

Tesla Cybertruck Why extend the roof? TONNEU.PNG

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
Like most structures it is probably like that for multiple reasons, but structural integrity is likely one reason. Stress concentrates at inside corners. When the roof beam edge was aligned with the vertical edge, 2 stress concentrations coincided on a narrow beam making it a weak spot. Now the weak spot is distributed over a larger area, and that area is no longer in the heat affected zone of a roof beam weld.

OP
OP
futureproof

futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Like most structures it is probably like that for multiple reasons, but structural integrity is likely one reason. Stress concentrates at inside corners. When the roof beam edge was aligned with the vertical edge, 2 stress concentrations coincided on a narrow beam making it a weak spot. Now the weak spot is distributed over a larger area, and that area is no longer in the heat affected zone of a roof beam weld.
Is structural integrity a plausible reason given that the vehicle has a 30X steel exoskeleton, a structural battery pack and a front and rear mega casting?

I am no engineer or expert but I would be very surprised if moving the roof beam edge a few inches is going to add anything to that. Has there ever been a vehicle with more structural integrity in the history of vehicles?

Last edited:

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
Exoskeleton means the load is carried in the skin. At that particular point, there is not a lot of skin to carry the load. The vehicle is not likely to break in half or anything like that, but better distributing the forces around the windows will limit strain(flex). That lessens the chance of breaking windows when the vehicle is in full stuff off road, flexing on 3 or fewer wheels. Stress concentrations in ultra hard steels are more prone to fatigue crack formation over time than milder(tougher, less hard) steels which simply bend.

We know relatively little about the actual structural integrity. I'm sure it is very good, but we know more after we watch it break.

"Has there ever been a vehicle with more structural integrity in the history of vehicles?"
A stock Pinewood derby car.
Most of the time Cybertrucks >5000lb will carry a single passenger and not leave the ground.
A 5lb skateboard will carry a single passenger and handle jumps several feet off the ground.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Everyone over complicating this. It's always been possible to have the cover fully retract inside the base like a yoga mat fully rolled up. And the tracks were always in front of the"mid gate" wall from day one so it's never been an impediment.

Just cause the patent diagram showed the cover with a tongue still sticking up in the mid gate area when rolled up doesn't mean that's how they intended it to fully retract. It's just the easiest way to diagram the path and functionality in one diagram.

Here you got me advocating for a midgate functionality that I've never cared about!
Sponsored

Last edited: