Why I'm Getting The F150 Lightning

Zenny

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
I choose to stick with the Cyber Truck for some of the same reason you are switching. I will be a great work truck and family road tripper. My budget dictates I stick with the cheaper version but still prefer CT in both categories.

The reasons it wins for me, a little bit longer range, quite a bit faster charge times, seats six in real seats, not a folding box top bench seat, adjustable suspension will lower down making it easier to get in (needed for my mother), builtin entertainment when charging, now learning that it's climate controlled in the bed, bed is covered and protected, both have comparable load and towing, and the one big thing, that I keep going on about, is the ability to carry a full sheet of plywood laying flat in the bed.

Would love to have the dual or tri motor just for the extra range but will just have to plan more charge stops.
Lots of good points, including CTs adj/low suspension for easier access when needed. I believe you need a mid-grade lightning to get running boards or can add aftermarket.
I do like the Lightning’s frunk drain & that the grill lifts for easier access though, similar to many newer vehicle trunks where they are cut lower for easier access. We’ll have to see what the final CT frunk design is; would be nice as trucks often sit a bit higher.
Other tradeoff is single motor CT vs 4wd L. Some won’t need or ever use 4 anyway.
Advertisement

Reactions: X32

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
Lots of good points, including CTs adj/low suspension for easier access when needed. I believe you need a mid-grade lightning to get running boards or can add aftermarket.
I do like the Lightning’s frunk drain & that the grill lifts for easier access though, similar to many newer vehicle trunks where they are cut lower for easier access. We’ll have to see what the final CT frunk design is; would be nice as trucks often sit a bit higher.
Other tradeoff is single motor CT vs 4wd L. Some won’t need or ever use 4 anyway.
CT wins it overall for me for many reasons stated but there are a few things lightening has going for itself. Many consider ford recycling a lot of existing parts and design a bad thing and it certainly has it’s cost (bad aerodynamics) but it has it’s pros like a full size spare and I think over time lightening may be more fixable/upgradable by do it yourselfers because of it.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I currently have both reservations for CT and Lightning, but here's what lead me to put in a reservation for Lightning.

Either truck was going to need to fit into one of 2 categories: ultimate road trip family vehicle, or cheap EV work vehicle. If I do end up getting the Lightning, it'll be the cheapest option they have. If I choose the CT, it'll be dual motor with hopefully announcements in increased range and charging speeds for those road trips.

What lead me to the Lightning is I believe it has a better $40k version. Yes, CT has a little more range, faster charging, a larger screen, autopilot, and SS body among others. However, the most important thing it doesn't have is dual motors. Unfortunately, it is a deal-breaker for me. And since I don't plan on taking this truck on long trips where most of the other Tesla features would be more important, the Ford wins out.

A couple last points, I am probably over the 700,000 mark for the CT, and it could be a while before I'd get it. So it is entirely possible I start with the Lightning, and then switch to the CT. The other point is Ford does still have the $7,500 credit. Even though this might change w/ Biden, at the moment I am factoring it into my reservation. Is there anyone else who had similar thoughts?
Having road tripped with Tesla and non Tesla BEVs, I would never buy something other than a Tesla UNTIL the competition has a better charging infrastructure.

Hope you kept this in mind when you made your decision. If you want to road trip with a Ford EV as it stands today, you will spend most of your time on a treasure hunt for obscure 50kw chargers (hour+) in apartment complexes and parking garages that may charge you just to enter.

Assuming Ford allows you to used the Tesla supercharger network when it's opened up, I would HIGHLY recommend than you try a road trip in an EV that is not Tesla BEFORE you buy. Besides, I doubt Ford will allow Tesla supercharger use since they've already turned down help from Tesla on the charging front in favor of making their own charging network, which failed btw...

Just thought I'd share my experience.

This family did way better than I did! Wish I had high speed chargers on my routes (other than superchargers). The last third of the video (starting around 14:10) is basically just charging issues, so sad!

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Having road tripped with Tesla and non Tesla BEVs, I would never buy something other than a Tesla UNTIL the competition has a better charging infrastructure.
👍🏻

Assuming Ford allows you to used the Tesla supercharger network when it's opened up, I would HIGHLY recommend than you try a road trip in an EV that is not Tesla BEFORE you buy.
I’m sure Ford is going to sell the truck with a CCS charger so there should be an adaptor at the Supercharger for it. Ford would likely have to actively block it from the network.

Tesla is talking about ramping up fees for vehicles which linger at the charge stations too long so the Ford might just be a lot more expensive to use on the Supercharger network regardless. That 150 miles in 41 minutes is going to sting if Tesla bumps prices after 30 minutes.

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
👍🏻

I’m sure Ford is going to sell the truck with a CCS charger so there should be an adaptor at the Supercharger for it. Ford would likely have to actively block it from the network.

Tesla is talking about ramping up fees for vehicles which linger at the charge stations too long so the Ford might just be a lot more expensive to use on the Supercharger network regardless. That 150 miles in 41 minutes is going to sting if Tesla bumps prices after 30 minutes.
Idk folks.... 150kw max on the mustang? Hmm.....I really don't think most are going to be happy with that for very long. Comfortable, easy to use, fast charging will make an 8 hour road trip into a 6 hour one. And a lot less stressful.
IMG_20210628_132811.jpg

Personal experience: while road tripping with the mach-e from AZ to CA, a normally 6 hour drive in my model 3 turned in to almost 10 hours because of charging issues. The trip back was faster because I wised up and stayed at the charger to make sure it actually started charging... Which still took way way longer than I wanted. Out of the 10 or 11 times I charged the Ford, it seemed like half the time I had to hop around to find a working charger that would take my account info AND actually charge. I'd prefer driving an ICE vehicle over that.

Never again for me, I was so burnt out. o_O

@Bob Anderson , before you make a big purchase, please try out the charging experience first. Hopefully once the lightning comes to market the charging options will be easier to use and work better. Electrify America, one of the biggest charger networks in the US, is the result of the VW diesel-gate legal settlement. In my opinion, it's good tech, but implemented poorly by a company forced to do something they didn't want to. There are lots others, but it seems like my experience is fairly universal.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Idk folks.... 150kw max on the mustang? Hmm.....I really don't think most are going to be happy with that for very long. Comfortable, easy to use, fast charging will make an 8 hour road trip into a 6 hour one. And a lot less stressful.
I’ve yet to hit a 250 kw charger, maybe on the next road trip.

Even at the same charger, the Model Y charges faster since it has a smaller battery and more range.

OP
OP

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag

Hope you kept this in mind when you made your decision. If you want to road trip with a Ford EV as it stands today, you will spend most of your time on a treasure hunt for obscure 50kw chargers (hour+) in apartment complexes and parking garages that may charge you just to enter.

Assuming Ford allows you to used the Tesla supercharger network when it's opened up, I would HIGHLY recommend than you try a road trip in an EV that is not Tesla BEFORE you buy. Besides, I doubt Ford will allow Tesla supercharger use since they've already turned down help from Tesla on the charging front in favor of making their own charging network, which failed btw...

Just thought I'd share my experience.

This family did way better than I did! Wish I had high speed chargers on my routes (other than superchargers). The last third of the video (starting around 14:10) is basically just charging issues, so sad!
I think you need to reread my post. If I got the Lightning it would not be used for long distance trips, but for work and around town. I am fully aware Tesla network is better than EA or anything else for that matter. Since my family has more than one vehicle, the other will be the roadtrip vehicle.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Some won’t need or ever use 4wd anyway.
Maybe not purposely use it but having 4wd/AWD has many safety benefits. Think pulling out in rain, sliding in snow or ice, recovering from hydroplaning or recovering from an unusual attitude of some sort. Lots of safety benefits. Even though my daughter will never actively select 4wd, and will never be pulling stumps or mudding, I made sure for her to have full time AWD solely for the safety reason.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you're sliding, AWD isn't really going to help you all that much. The key is to not slide in the first place. Hence traction control retarding wheels.

-Crissa

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I think you need to reread my post.
Ah, my bad then.
Either truck was going to need to fit into one of 2 categories: ultimate road trip family vehicle, or cheap EV work vehicle.
I didn't realize this was an exclusive "or". Assumed you'd accept an "and".

I'll leave you to it then.
Cheers!

TruckDaddy

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Zenny said:

"Some won’t need or ever use 4wd anyway."

I watched a guy in a Dodge pickup spin his one wheel (no traction control) from a stoplight 3 times to slowly get started in the rain a few months back. The 4th time hooked up under very limited throttle, just to get moving. If a car was approaching from the rear too fast, this would be a dangerous situation.

The Model Y will leave a stoplight in the rain at full throttle with no slippage, like it's on rails. I have never owned a vehicle that could come anywhere near this capability.

Hunter71294

First Name
Hunter
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500
Occupation
Construction Equipment Rental
Country flag
CT should have a lot better weight distribution, but a normal truck without 4wd does not work well on ice or snow. I had friends in highschool that would put sand bags or other heavy things in their beds so that they could get traction in their Ford Rangers. I need 4wd myself, but if I stayed on asphalt 2wd would probably be fine.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I watched a guy in a Dodge pickup spin his one wheel (no traction control) from a stoplight 3 times to slowly get started in the rain a few months back. The 4th time hooked up under very limited throttle, just to get moving. If a car was approaching from the rear too fast, this would be a dangerous situation.
Older trucks have notoriously terrible hookup. Most likely bad driver giving it too much gas. Plus the trucks motor is up front, there is very little weight on the rear tires.

Aside from that, the single motor Tesla won’t do that. The traction control on Teslas is insanely good. Also, Teslas batteries are spread evenly and motor is directly above the battery.

The Model Y will leave a stoplight in the rain at full throttle with no slippage, like it's on rails. I have never owned a vehicle that could come anywhere near this capability.
I’ve launched my Model Y on gravel roads. Blows peoples minds.
I’m pretty sure even the single motor Tesla will be quite similar.

prl99

Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota Tacoma, registered for dual motor CT
Country flag
People need to watch the video about servicing the Mach-E where the Ford dealer had no idea what to do with it. Dealerships run by money hungry third-parties need to go away. If you have a Tesla you deal directly with the manufacturer instead of a middleman. This is how it should be. If you buy a Lightning are you ready to suffer the consequences of dealing with a local Ford repair shop that's never seen an EV before? Good luck.

Advertisement

Advertisement