Why I'm Getting The F150 Lightning

Newton

First Name
Newton
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏🝗尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Tesla has been making Ev's for over 10 years now...
and are the leading company pushing ev things forward. that along with the supercharging network makes it the only option for me if i want a new EV.

do you want Michelangelo's original work, or the apprentice that has been surviving by painting mass produced works? of the old style
Advertisement

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
I have good success with the following

Model is readily available to purchase elsewhere
I start negotiations half hour before close and keep them there 2 hours after close, when they tell me to leave the real negations begin.
If I can, I develop a report with the decision makers well before entering negotiations (I’m likable after the initial dislike is past)
I don’t even want the car, so give me a deal I can’t pass up.
I go in with the perspective, cash is worth more than the car so I hold leverage when I can go elsewhere
my most powerful tool is in fact leaving the deal on the table and going elsewhere.

Regarding the CT, I have zero leverage. In fact, if they tack on a fee, I would grumble but most likely take it. ☹

No fun
Agree though the set price is better for the high demand. Else, dealer markups would be horrendous.
You prefer the haggle because you have gamified it and sounds like you are having fun with it. That is generally a great ability with anything challenging. Some of us are not as good with it as you are and try to avoid what we see as an unnecessary conflict. I look at Tesla’s price as the price Ford would have sold the equivalent lightening to the dealer so to me as high as it seems, it looks like the best deal I could possibly get if I had to buy the same CT from a Ford dealer. All that with saving time and headache of shopping for the best deal and the best dealer.

John K

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
We needed a new clothes washer.

while shopping with spouse, found one we liked, I told the salesperson I would buy today if they gave me 10% off.

Salesperson said he would check, wife rolled eyes an walked away saying…”You CAN’T do THAT!” She was embarrassed.

The answer is no if I don’t ask. salesperson came back agreeing to the 10% off. 😇

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
All this talk of V2H and the Lighting had me thinking abou the Ford commercial. Though, I started thinking the opposite direction of current flow. Can construction workers charge their vehicles at a worksite?

Obviously a panel needs to be there and it needs to have power and be turned on. The super has to be cool with it as well. Is that a normal state for a home being built? Is there any electrical and/or practical and/or design reason that it could or couldn't work?

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
We needed a new clothes washer.

while shopping with spouse, found one we liked, I told the salesperson I would buy today if they gave me 10% off.

Salesperson said he would check, wife rolled eyes an walked away saying…”You CAN’T do THAT!” She was embarrassed.

The answer is no if I don’t ask. salesperson came back agreeing to the 10% off. 😇
I never haggle with wife present. It is like playing poker while your partner announcing your hand.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
It is important that you make a choice based on what is important to you. You need not provide your rationale to anyone nor seek approval. Just do it. We all struggle with our decisions, especially when there is so little information. I hope that you will be happy with whatever choice you make - a new car and a new technology is a big step.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I currently have both reservations for CT and Lightning, but here's what lead me to put in a reservation for Lightning.

Either truck was going to need to fit into one of 2 categories: ultimate road trip family vehicle, or cheap EV work vehicle. If I do end up getting the Lightning, it'll be the cheapest option they have. If I choose the CT, it'll be dual motor with hopefully announcements in increased range and charging speeds for those road trips.

What lead me to the Lightning is I believe it has a better $40k version. Yes, CT has a little more range, faster charging, a larger screen, autopilot, and SS body among others. However, the most important thing it doesn't have is dual motors. Unfortunately, it is a deal-breaker for me. And since I don't plan on taking this truck on long trips where most of the other Tesla features would be more important, the Ford wins out.

A couple last points, I am probably over the 700,000 mark for the CT, and it could be a while before I'd get it. So it is entirely possible I start with the Lightning, and then switch to the CT. The other point is Ford does still have the $7,500 credit. Even though this might change w/ Biden, at the moment I am factoring it into my reservation. Is there anyone else who had similar thoughts?
I was really happy to see one more reservation ahead of mine dissolve in a fit of self-described practicality until I read that you don't even have a reservation. Darn!

I encourage more Cybertruck reservationists to see it your way!

Rthardison

First Name
Rusty
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3, Model S
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I agree. Ultimately my final decision will be in the YT reviews and final specs for both. Tesla really has to come out w/ their V2H. I can charge at work for free and essentially cut my electric bill in half w/ Lightning.
Ford is going to charge you dearly for V2H. I won’t be surprised if the truck is $20K higher with house installed equipment costing +10K.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
It is important that you make a choice based on what is important to you. You need not provide your rationale to anyone nor seek approval. Just do it. We all struggle with our decisions, especially when there is so little information. I hope that you will be happy with whatever choice you make - a new car and a new technology is a big step.
Damn…that sounds like it makes to much sense. I lLIKE the way you think.😀

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ford is going to charge you dearly for V2H. I won’t be surprised if the truck is $20K higher with house installed equipment costing +10K.
$7k option includes extended range Battery and the 80amp wall box, plus the cost of professional installation of the wall box..
Course this is all preliminary prices I found on the innerweb,, who truly know what the cost will be when the truck hits the market.

B3A595AC-8CC9-4789-AE8F-D17C5F085606.png

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
$7k option includes extended range Battery and the 80amp wall box, plus the cost of professional installation of the wall box..
Course this is all preliminary prices I found on the innerweb,, who truly know what the cost will be when the truck hits the market.

Two things that I don't really like.

1. I would have to pay $7000 on top of the cost of the truck for 70 miles to get 300 miles of range which isn't really a lot when we are talking about a work truck. I know it's also with a 1000lbs load but that's not all that much if you are actually using it for work. The Cybertruck has their 300 mile range version as well, but it's not with any extra fee as far as we know.

2. Why do I need renters insurance with Allstate to get that burger combo, and where is that burger from? I own my home and have home owners insurance, does this get me a better burger combo? The fact that this burger ad came up on a ford article makes me want the Cybertruck even more.

Rthardison

First Name
Rusty
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

The original poster wants to get the cheapest F150 around 40K. You have to get the XLT to then pay $7K. So we are talking $15+$7K and I think there is more required to use V2H than the 80 amp wall box. That is just for charging.

Since the $7K include the 80A wall box, the only additional cost would be a switching device like the Tesla Gateway which costs $1,100. I would add $2,000 installation cost.

My point is buyers are not getting V2H for $40K. You have to add $15K for XLT, $7K for extended battery/wall box, $1.1K for home switching device and $2K for installation. That is now costing $65.1K.

An alternative is to plug in certain appliances to the 120V/240V plugs available on the F150 and Cybertruck.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Where does it say it includes "cost of professional installation of the wall box"?
Please supply link address.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Where does it say it includes "cost of professional installation of the wall box"?
Please supply link address.
No…it doesn’t, just suggesting to have the wall box professionally installed.

Rthardison

First Name
Rusty
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think the F150 is going to be a good truck and satisfy a lot of people. I like that it gets more people using electric and off gas. For me, Tesla is making solid products for the money. They are a really good engineering company. They remind me of early Apple. The equipment will be solid and the supercharger network is a requirement for me.

Advertisement

Advertisement