Why I'm Getting The F150 Lightning

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
An alternative is to plug in certain appliances to the 120V/240V plugs available on the F150 and Cybertruck.
That's was definitely my take on whether a truck will have V2H or not. If I can plug my fridge and freezer into the truck with an extension cord, I wouldn't be too worried really.

The big benefits for V2H would be heating in the winter and central AC in the summer. But I think most people can live without that for a little while.
Advertisement

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
The main reason I did was that with F150, I am at 30K spot with CT at 700K. even if Tesla produces CTs at 3 times the f150 speed , it will be a big time difference for me and I don’t believe my current truck is going to last long enough for CT. If they were both available to me today, I would pay a bit more for CT. I am not sure what is the deal with lower trim but I believe a Ford close to CT2 will cost $10K-$20K more with all the options you will have to chose. And dealing with dealers is a big pain point for me. So if there is anyway I can go with CT, I will.

Can you let us know when you go to the dealer to get your vehicle, that they (dealer) marked up the price by $10,000 like they're doing now for the Ford Mustang E..

IMG_3995.JPG

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think the F150 is going to be a good truck and satisfy a lot of people. I like that it gets more people using electric and off gas. For me, Tesla is making solid products for the money. They are a really good engineering company. They remind me of early Apple. The equipment will be solid and the supercharger network is a requirement for me.
Yeah.

I hope the Lightning works out for people because Tesla can't make enough vehicles for demand.

-Crissa

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Can you let us know when you go to the dealer to get your vehicle, that they (dealer) marked up the price by $10,000 like they're doing now for the Ford Mustang E..

IMG_3995.JPG
Dang, I gotta go visit Ford tomorrow and check out the Mach e, I just visited the Tesla dealership in North Carolina and not one vehicle on the lot was below $48k. All of the ones I saw were between $48 and $60 depending on battery size. Tesla includes stuff like first year fuel savings and tax incentives on the website. Dealership prices are not even close to what’s on the Tesla site.

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

IMG_3995.JPG
That addition of $10,000 market adjust is more than an additional 25% to the price !!!!
There are many reports of this with Mustang Mach-e sales at dealers.

Yup, this is exactly what will happen with base commercial version of Ford F-150 Lightning Pro.

Few retail customers will get out the door with paying only $39,974 MSRP.

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Dang, I gotta go visit Ford tomorrow and check out the Mach e, I just visited the Tesla dealership in North Carolina and not one vehicle on the lot was below $48k. All of the ones I saw were between $48 and $60 depending on battery size. Tesla includes stuff like first year fuel savings and tax incentives on the website. Dealership prices are not even close to what’s on the Tesla site.
The Tesla price without fuel savings is easily visible on the Tesla web page.

The Tesla price you see on the cars at the Tesla store reflect actual trim levels, motors, battery sizes, colors, etc.

There is no direct we will rob you of $10,000 (over 25%) without receiving additional features like what happens with some models at ICE dealers.

Last edited:

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I currently have both reservations for CT and Lightning, but here's what lead me to put in a reservation for Lightning.

Either truck was going to need to fit into one of 2 categories: ultimate road trip family vehicle, or cheap EV work vehicle. If I do end up getting the Lightning, it'll be the cheapest option they have. If I choose the CT, it'll be dual motor with hopefully announcements in increased range and charging speeds for those road trips.

What lead me to the Lightning is I believe it has a better $40k version. Yes, CT has a little more range, faster charging, a larger screen, autopilot, and SS body among others. However, the most important thing it doesn't have is dual motors. Unfortunately, it is a deal-breaker for me. And since I don't plan on taking this truck on long trips where most of the other Tesla features would be more important, the Ford wins out.

A couple last points, I am probably over the 700,000 mark for the CT, and it could be a while before I'd get it. So it is entirely possible I start with the Lightning, and then switch to the CT. The other point is Ford does still have the $7,500 credit. Even though this might change w/ Biden, at the moment I am factoring it into my reservation. Is there anyone else who had similar thoughts?
The only problem with your logic is that is a FORD or fix or repair daily

John K

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Unusual for a dominate company to stay innovatory motivated without competition.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
Sure. I doubt they would do that with preorders but if they do, I am definitely switching dealers to one with less B.S. if there is none, I will be out. The following should have more info you may be interested in:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/forums/f-150-lightning-electric-forum-⚡️.4/

My reservation is basically to have lightening as an option. Not that excited about it. Next two years, there will be other options and hopefully a bit less crazy on the supply side. This is not the best time for car shopping.

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ford isn't that bad, I heard they were going to start offering a heated bumper for when you have to push it home in the winter.
Fords have and still ate junk

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I love not having to negotiate price. A dealership will always have the upperhand when negotiating. They know the lowest price they can sell a vehicle for and only really sells that low when they need to clear stock. Luckily it's not as easy for them to cheat someone on a new vehicle since someone could just search up the cost of the vehicle with all the options on the website. But used dealerships are a nightmare.
I agree and it looks like Ford's EV strategy is to placate their dealers by limiting production volumes so they are always in demand and dealers can hold the upper hand when it comes to selling them at a profit. That makes it difficult to negotiate a fair deal when Ford won't make enough of them to let the market decide what they are really worth. At least that's what they are doing with the Mach-e. I guess there is a small chance they won't do the same with the Lightning but my money is on very limited production.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Country flag
For the OP, I am glad you are going with an electric vehicle.
There will be a few other truck options available, by the time my CT reservaction is ready, but this is good for all of us. More options and competition push everyone forward.
Tesla has done so well, especially for a new car company, but the loyalties to some automakers go back generations now, so of course people will want to stay with their preferred brand when possible.
I am just happy to see options and more electric cars that aren’t simply compliance vehicles.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Unusual for a dominate company to stay innovatory motivated without competition.
You rarely see this mentioned but Tesla does have competition, lots of it.

It's the 98% of the market that consists of legacy ICE vehicles. If they can capture just 2% of that, they have doubled their vehicle market share. The fallacy that Tesla competes with other EV's is misleading in the extreme because other EV's are less than 1% of the overall market and over 90% of Tesla buyers are replacing an ICE vehicle.

Advertisement

Advertisement