Why I'm Getting The F150 Lightning

cyberslacker

First Name
Travis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Spark EV
Country flag
So…the F150 PB Hybrid and I just finished a cross country to Maryland, down to North Carolina and back to Colorado. 20.7 overall, 20.8 out and 20.6 mpg back (since when did everyone start driving 80mph on freeway)? I stopped at a Tesla dealership near Raleigh, NC for my very first closeup look at 3 variants. Hmmmm, sticker prices on these were not what I expected based on the info on the website. Apparently it’s OK to include, tax incentives which is not available along with first year fuel savings? Next, I asked about various trim levels within each model, the answer? Black or White, but you’ll pay $1k more for white. I’m gonna wait and see on the CT, I surely hope the CT will be available in more than just single, dual, or tri motor?? My XLT model with a few options performed pretty damn good on this trip.😀 Glad I got in early on the Lightning ⚡
All EV's and even ICE vehicles advertise with incentive pricing, and most of the pricing I have seen from Tesla is based on the state's tax incentives. But I think it is important to point out the cost of ownership difference, however, I believe it could be done more clearly.

`AquaWatt

Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 RAM 1500,Tesla Model Y , !971SS Camaro,
Country flag
I currently have both reservations for CT and Lightning, but here's what lead me to put in a reservation for Lightning.

Either truck was going to need to fit into one of 2 categories: ultimate road trip family vehicle, or cheap EV work vehicle. If I do end up getting the Lightning, it'll be the cheapest option they have. If I choose the CT, it'll be dual motor with hopefully announcements in increased range and charging speeds for those road trips.

What lead me to the Lightning is I believe it has a better $40k version. Yes, CT has a little more range, faster charging, a larger screen, autopilot, and SS body among others. However, the most important thing it doesn't have is dual motors. Unfortunately, it is a deal-breaker for me. And since I don't plan on taking this truck on long trips where most of the other Tesla features would be more important, the Ford wins out.

A couple last points, I am probably over the 700,000 mark for the CT, and it could be a while before I'd get it. So it is entirely possible I start with the Lightning, and then switch to the CT. The other point is Ford does still have the $7,500 credit. Even though this might change w/ Biden, at the moment I am factoring it into my reservation. Is there anyone else who had similar thoughts?
Thank you for posting your reasoning,
While I may disagree you're not buying a truck for ME. It's for you.
Good luck and I hope you post reviews of your likes and dislikes when you get it

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Thank you for posting your reasoning,
Good luck and I hope you post reviews of your likes and dislikes when you get it
Seems a little hostile for someone posting their opinion on a part of the forum called "Cybertruck Versus..."

Him posting his reasoning for himself is kind of the point of his thread.

`AquaWatt

Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 RAM 1500,Tesla Model Y , !971SS Camaro,
Country flag
Seems a little hostile for someone posting their opinion on a part of the forum called "Cybertruck Versus..."

Him posting his reasoning for himself is kind of the point of his thread.
That seemed hostile to you?
What part?
Where I thanked him?
Seriously, what in what i posted is " Hostile"?
This was my post. There isn;t anything hostile about it.

""Thank you for posting your reasoning,
Good luck and I hope you post reviews of your likes and dislikes when you get it "

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Saw my first Television add on the Ford Lightning, nothing on the Cybertruck yet? I guess Elon feels there is no need to advertise his efforts on the Cybertruck. Started a personal spreadsheet comparing specifications between the two but, find it difficult as Elon has not realeased the actual production model yet, Ford has. What is he wanting on??? Folks on this Forum go back and fourth as to which is the better choice… IMO, the choice is a personal one that fits each persons need and desires. There is no right or wrong choice, it’s yours to make. So, Aquawatt could have left out the statement “You’re not buying a truck for ME”. Come on man, we already know that.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Saw my first Television add on the Ford Lightning, nothing on the Cybertruck yet? I guess Elon feels there is no need to advertise his efforts on the Cybertruck. Started a personal spreadsheet comparing specifications between the two but, find it difficult as Elon has not realeased the actual production model yet, Ford has. What is he wanting on??? Folks on this Forum go back and fourth as to which is the better choice… IMO, the choice is a personal one that fits each persons need and desires. There is no right or wrong choice, it’s yours to make. So, Aquawatt could have left out the statement “You’re not buying a truck for ME”. Come on man, we already know that.
Tesla doesn't advertise for any of it's vehicles.

Also I think Ford has it a little bit easier to release a confirmed production model. With Ford, they will be going with the standard f150 look. With the Cybertruck; it's not just a new vehicle for Tesla, or just their first truck, it's the first truck of it's kind. There aren't any other trucks that really differ so much than a traditional truck. I'm glad that Tesla has taken a year and a half to optimize their product than to just give us a confirmed production model immediately.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
TFL guys in Chicago auto show pointed out F150 has neutral mode. It looks like it can be towed. I heard that can be a problem with Tesla vehicles. I hope CT has that feature. I like battery and motor temperature gages in F150 and the ability to tell how much weight you are carrying. Since Tesla stole the rear wheel thing from GM, I am hoping they are quiet because they are steeling these from Ford. I want to have it all in my CT.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is bit more detailed than other reviews I have seen if anyone is interested:

Friday

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica, Trimotor Cybertruck
Saw my first Television add on the Ford Lightning, nothing on the Cybertruck yet?
Doesn't Tesla sell every vehicle it makes now without a single ad, tv or copy or radio?

What kind of ads would it be? The meaningless "best in class" comparisons of almost identical ICE vehicles we get now? The "whatever" winner of JD Power something something survey?

Most sedan and SUV ads don't even mention the type of engine or transmission or mileage anymore. It's all lifestyle ads. "You can be the Adventurer or Entrepreneur or high functioning Globally Aware Citizen IF you drive THIS vehicle" type of ads.

Of all the disruption Tesla is doing in engineering and tech, I also think they are disrupting the Ad Business also, at least for automobiles. And that's a huge $$$$$ business for advertising companies.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Doesn't Tesla sell every vehicle it makes now without a single ad, tv or copy or radio?

What kind of ads would it be? The meaningless "best in class" comparisons of almost identical ICE vehicles we get now? The "whatever" winner of JD Power something something survey?

Most sedan and SUV ads don't even mention the type of engine or transmission or mileage anymore. It's all lifestyle ads. "You can be the Adventurer or Entrepreneur or high functioning Globally Aware Citizen IF you drive THIS vehicle" type of ads.

Of all the disruption Tesla is doing in engineering and tech, I also think they are disrupting the Ad Business also, at least for automobiles. And that's a huge $$$$$ business for advertising companies.

"JD Powerhammer, JD Powerrod"

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
TFL guys in Chicago auto show pointed out F150 has neutral mode. It looks like it can be towed. I heard that can be a problem with Tesla vehicles. I hope CT has that feature. I like battery and motor temperature gages in F150 and the ability to tell how much weight you are carrying. Since Tesla stole the rear wheel thing from GM, I am hoping they are quiet because they are steeling these from Ford. I want to have it all in my CT.
I think much of what you are talking about was in recent patent filings for the display.

Auto load balancing is one of the things Musk mentioned regarding the air suspension.

X32

Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Audio Tech
Country flag
I currently have both reservations for CT and Lightning, but here's what lead me to put in a reservation for Lightning.

Either truck was going to need to fit into one of 2 categories: ultimate road trip family vehicle, or cheap EV work vehicle. If I do end up getting the Lightning, it'll be the cheapest option they have. If I choose the CT, it'll be dual motor with hopefully announcements in increased range and charging speeds for those road trips.
I choose to stick with the Cyber Truck for some of the same reason you are switching. I will be a great work truck and family road tripper. My budget dictates I stick with the cheaper version but still prefer CT in both categories.

The reasons it wins for me, a little bit longer range, quite a bit faster charge times, seats six in real seats, not a folding box top bench seat, adjustable suspension will lower down making it easier to get in (needed for my mother), builtin entertainment when charging, now learning that it's climate controlled in the bed, bed is covered and protected, both have comparable load and towing, and the one big thing, that I keep going on about, is the ability to carry a full sheet of plywood laying flat in the bed.

Would love to have the dual or tri motor just for the extra range but will just have to plan more charge stops.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla doesn't advertise for any of it's vehicles.
But if they did, what would it look like? You know Tesla depends on you to spread the word and we really have nothing better to do here so I challenge everyone to present your CT Ad.

I like those ads that after watching the whole thing you still don’t know what the heck they are talking about.

Here is mine:

Are you in search of a connection? A place you can call home?

Do you ever feel like you just don’t fit in?

Embrace your true nature

1627767432162.png

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Private Lending Educator
Country flag
But if they did, what would it look like? You know Tesla depends on you to spread the word and we really have nothing better to do here so I challenge everyone to present your CT Ad.

I like those ads that after watching the whole thing you still don’t know what the heck they are talking about.

Here is mine:

Are you in search of a connection? A place you can call home?

Do you ever feel like you just don’t fit in?

Embrace your true nature

1627767432162.png
Great example!! And maybe the quad can be this.

The_Predator_Movie_5K_q2.0.jpg

Advertisement

Advertisement