Why is Tesla in the lead in for the article. Two adults survive Tesla plunges 250 feet off California Cliff?

OP
OP

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Two children and two adults survive after Tesla plunges 250 feet off California cliff

The two rescued adults suffered “non-life-threatening injuries,” and the two children were unharmed, according to the San Mateo Sheriff's Office.

Two adults and two children were rescued from a Tesla that plunged 250 feet off a cliff Monday morning in San Mateo County, California, officials said.

The car was traveling southbound on the Pacific Coast Highway when it went over the cliff at Devil’s Slide, south of the Tom Lantos tunnel, and landed near the water’s edge below, the Cal Fire San Mateo-Santa Cruz Unit said.

The car flipped and landed on its wheels in the fall, CAL FIRE/Coastside Fire Incident Commander Brian Pottenger said. Witnesses saw the accident and called 911.

As crews were lowered down, they were able to see movement in the front seat, through their binoculars, meaning someone was alive.

Direct To Your Inbox

Get the latest breaking news and must-read articles from NBC News

“We were actually very shocked when we found survivable victims in the vehicle. So, that actually was a really hopeful moment for us,” Pottenger said.

Fire officials called for helicopters to help hoist the survivors to safety. As they waited, firefighters rappelled to the scene and rescued the two children.

The California Highway Patrol shared video on social media showing helicopters lower first responders to the scene to extricate and rescue two adults inside.

All four were hospitalized. The San Mateo Sheriff's Office said the two adults suffered non-life-threatening injuries and the two children were unharmed.

It's not clear what caused the car to go over the cliff. CHP is handling the investigation.

OP
OP

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
is this an attempt at a hit piece when the car and seatbelts saved their lives after the Tesla plunge?

Nice to include at the end the cause of the accident is unknown at this time.

Don Kedick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3LR, Escalade
Country flag
If it has “Tesla” in the title it drives clicks. For the people who like them and the people who hate them. You catch both that way as there are a lot of opinions on the manufacturer and CEO. I’ve seen this same article posted on multiple sites from news to memes. Obviously it works. If this was any other car it would not be front page news.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Glad all the occupants were protected from serious injury. Would be interesting to know what the vehicle data shows. The MSM should not even be focusing on the brand of car at all for such an accident, unless they intended to somehow propagate negative association as they're constantly trying to do to Tesla right now. This unnecessary brand focus suggests that the MSM is really not concerned about the people in the accident at all and are actually treating them as a secondary 'element' to the story.

But I think this could also backfire on the MSM narratives especially their one about Tesla's being prone to catch fire, because ICE cars are much more prone to have a gas tank explosion on impacts after going over a cliff like that. This example may tend to highlight the fact that Tesla's are less prone to fires in high impact crashes - which is the kind of fact the MSM wants to ignore right now.

There is also the result of how well the Tesla protected the occupants in such a crash, which seems to be also something the MSM would not want to touch either. Now, I could be wrong and maybe this report is one where they were showing how safe Tesla's are to be in, but I seriously doubt that at this point.

The MSM has thrown integrity out the window so much, that I've not even glanced at anything from them in recent years so of course I didn't look at this particular report either. I'll look through the past and future comments of this thread to see if anyone clarifies what they said, because I'll never look at any MSM content directly.

-ÆCIII

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
is this an attempt at a hit piece when the car and seatbelts saved their lives after the Tesla plunge?

Nice to include at the end the cause of the accident is unknown at this time.
Unfortunately it's the status quo for MSM reports on anything Tesla. It's amazing that the car is capable of protecting the occupants under a situation that would be 100% lethal in any other car, but instead we need to make sure you can possibly blame autopilot for the accident.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Devils Slide s about 1 mile from my house and I drive that section most every day. There are only a couple places where there is no rail or wall and they are not directly on the highway. In this particular spot people pull off to park cars and on crowded days they all cram together. I could see someone trying to find a space and the car slipping off. It isn't a parking lot, people just do it. As for FSD I have driven northbound (cliff side) on FSD there with no problems other than the car trying to drive the speed limit (45 mmph) when yellow/black signs tell us that the road is windy (and we should maybe slow down). More often than not the traffic is heavy enough that you cannot drive the 45 mph limit...more like 30 or less. I suspect that any car but a Tesla would have resulted in death. That particular place is crazy steep and there is no beach, just rocks and dangerous surf.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Two children and two adults survive after Tesla plunges 250 feet off California cliff

The two rescued adults suffered “non-life-threatening injuries,” and the two children were unharmed, according to the San Mateo Sheriff's Office.

Two adults and two children were rescued from a Tesla that plunged 250 feet off a cliff Monday morning in San Mateo County, California, officials said.

The car was traveling southbound on the Pacific Coast Highway when it went over the cliff at Devil’s Slide, south of the Tom Lantos tunnel, and landed near the water’s edge below, the Cal Fire San Mateo-Santa Cruz Unit said.

The car flipped and landed on its wheels in the fall, CAL FIRE/Coastside Fire Incident Commander Brian Pottenger said. Witnesses saw the accident and called 911.
It's not clear what caused the car to go over the cliff. CHP is handling the investigation.
[/QUOTE]

The article states that "it went over the cliff at Devil’s Slide",
The Devil made them do it...

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The article states that "it went over the cliff at Devil’s Slide",
The Devil made them do it...
[/QUOTE]
They are being polite. They only way to go off the cliff is pilot error. There is no other possible explanation. They said in the video that it happens all the time. I heard the sirens (we always do). Do you think that we intentionally don't put up barriers so that this kind of thing might happen? Maybe I'll go up there today and take a picture of the area and post it here. Then you will know that this was bad driving pure and simple. We can rejoice in the safety features of the Tesla design that saved their lives. Hopefully they will learn to not do this kind of thing, but I see people parking there every weekend and always expect someone to do what this car did. They cannot build a barrier there because it too would slide into the ocean (hence the name Devils Slide - the rock formations are nearly vertical so they are very unstable).

If you look at this GE image you can see that there is a side lane for buses only that they might have mistaken as the parking lot turn. It is well marked but if they ignored the signs it would be possible. But if they did that the car would have ended up on the cliff directly below. I believe that they pulled off at the next area shown at the upper left in this image, and that the car went down the cliff there. That is where the helicopter video shows the vehicle landing, and you can see the old rampart structure in the news video. People frequently park near those paths. This being an aerial view you don't get the feeling for just how steep this cliff is but I assure you that it is freaking scary - almost vertical.

Tesla Cybertruck Why is Tesla in the lead in for the article. Two adults survive Tesla plunges 250 feet off California Cliff? IMG_0349.PNG

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I found exclusive video of the newsroom when it was announced that Autopilot wasn't engaged...

mad-tantrum.gif
As soon as they drove off Highway 1 AP would disengage as far as I know (there is no road of any kind there. In order to get where they went down the cliff one has to drive more than 100’ off the highway (that is a guess).
All the headlines said was “Tesla falls off cliff, everyone ok” over the weekend.

All the Wall Street analysts saw “TSLA Falls off Cliff!!!, SELL!!!!”
on the news here in the San Francisco Bay Area they only said Tesla at the very end. I was surprised to see people moaning about it on Teslarati and here.

I got a pic of the area from Google Earth but it was too large to attach so I’ll scale it and edit this post in a while to attach it. Oops, I attached the image to the previous post I made.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As soon as they drove off Highway 1 AP would disengage as far as I know (there is no road of any kind there. In order to get where they went down the cliff one has to drive more than 100’ off the highway (that is a guess).

on the news here in the San Francisco Bay Area they only said Tesla at the very end. I was surprised to see people moaning about it on Teslarati and here.
Sounds like it got weird. Turns out maybe an attempted murder/ suicide.