OP
Gvardaman

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Okay, so if someone made an aftermarket kit to retrofit a HUD, where would it plug in?
Do Teslas have an ODB-II port? Certainly not for emissions, but to connect to the car’s computer?
Is there a different or proprietary port Tesla uses to interface with vehicles? Or is it all wireless?
Maybe that is the way to connect?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I guess some are more easily frightened than others. You can turn on "wimp" mode (it's not really called that - I don't remember what it is called) until you are comfortable.
Gee, you are awfully quick to judge someone you don’t even know. I have a long history of engaging in activities that would make many people’s skin crawl, and when I say scary it is not from being a wimp but from being respectful of what acceleration can do in the wrong hands. I haven’t used chill mode but with a tank that can accelerate from 0-60 in less than 3 seconds I might consider it.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Gee, you are awfully quick to judge someone you don’t even know. I have a long history of engaging in activities that would make many people’s skin crawl, and when I say scary it is not from being a wimp but from being respectful of what acceleration can do in the wrong hands. I haven’t used chill mode but with a tank that can accelerate from 0-60 in less than 3 seconds I might consider it.
Personally I’d rather put my CT in wimp mode than to put my body into whimper mode. If the acceleration gets too tempting I might have to force the issue.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Changing the acceleration profile changes the accuracy that your foot needs on the pedal.

And that's darned useful, not 'wimpy'.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Yeah, I plan on using Chill mode most of the time.

OP
OP
Gvardaman

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I would put the truck into chilled wimp mode if I was loaning it or if one of my kids was going to drive it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No. Orbiter. I was in the biz. When we talked LEOs, GEOs and HEOs we were talking about the spacecraft. Of course who is to say that what we did in the shops associated with those particular agencies got to set the strandard?

Last edited:

KewlToyZ

First Name
Kewl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Camaro Convertible, 2012 RAM 1500 4x4 BigHorn
Occupation
CDL Truck Driver, retired IT Director
Country flag
Because heads up displays are a gimmick. They are harder to read than a dashboard display with increased focal time ( it takes longer to look at a hud than it takes to glance at a dashboard display and report the information displayed), I worked for Army RDEC and participated in studies on subject. They require brightness greater than ambient hindering eye dark adaptation, even in the day time they are at a brightness that causes eye adaption making the rest of the view dimmer. They distract attention, while providing low relevance information, how often do you really need to know your speed? For that you end up with a constant speed display in your relevant field.
These shortcomings can be overcome. For focal time focal length can be lengthen nearer to relevant field but that makes the information look like it's on the car in front of you and it gets lost.
For brightness the field can be rapidly darkened like 3d tv shutter glasses, highly impractical for a large windshield and causes other issues for anything other than straight on visibility.
For distracted driving... Only display relevant information... Use an AI to decide relevance?

The end result was that vehicle hud did not improve driving experience and did not improve driver situational awareness.
HUD is DEFINITELY not a gimmick! I'm over 50. After having perfect vision my entire life, I need readers to read anything on my dash now. Far sight is fine. But, the HUD on my 2013 Camaro Convertible, perfectly clear even when I put the convertible top down in noon bright sun complete clarity for my vision! Even with UV rated sunglasses. No readers necessary. I never have to look away from the road. I have my speed, compass, outside temp, music info too. It's best thing since sliced bread. The fact That Mr. Musk has dismissed them so heavily is insanity. No special films necessary for what came with my car. I don't have to bob my head around like a goofy bird trying to see around the steering wheel to tell how fast I'm going either. I'm honestly not interested in the CyberTruck if there isn't something this useful to me. The trucks design, while very appealing in its practicality, is not worth the cost for all the other things that really aren't the main reason I'd buy a new vehicle or an EV.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Whilst it's a good idea, Level 4 FSD in 2022.

A diminishing need for HUD.

Authority for political reasons will continue to try and disrupt Tesla, but as we see in Germany, they are already or close to allowing level 4 on their roads.

In Tesla's case, I reckon everyone expects a big decision point. I predict we will incrementally release updates (as we do) and practically be self-driving without anyone realising.

With millions of cars with FSD on the road, and lots of legislators already sold on the idea, it will be rubber-stamped and FSD will be official, and nobody will blink.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
HUD is DEFINITELY not a gimmick! I'm over 50. After having perfect vision my entire life, I need readers to read anything on my dash now. Far sight is fine. But, the HUD on my 2013 Camaro Convertible, perfectly clear even when I put the convertible top down in noon bright sun complete clarity for my vision! Even with UV rated sunglasses. No readers necessary. I never have to look away from the road. I have my speed, compass, outside temp, music info too. It's best thing since sliced bread. The fact That Mr. Musk has dismissed them so heavily is insanity. No special films necessary for what came with my car. I don't have to bob my head around like a goofy bird trying to see around the steering wheel to tell how fast I'm going either. I'm honestly not interested in the CyberTruck if there isn't something this useful to me. The trucks design, while very appealing in its practicality, is not worth the cost for all the other things that really aren't the main reason I'd buy a new vehicle or an EV.
Not a fan of HUD hip coolness. Love Chevy HUD killed two birds with one stone. It eliminated gauge dependency and corrected vision impaired driving. Wherever possible old gauges, buttons and dials should be superseded by a better, less distracting more useful solution.

Tesla is matter of fact about what solution its proposing. It eliminates the driver altogether. LOL
Sponsored