Why rolling vault cover should be replaced by rigid sliding vault cover. Optionally made of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Is there someone here wanting vault cover eliminated?

I sure don't want it removed.

I think most here want a electrically motorized and remotely controllable cover.

The question should be what is best way to accomplish this.

Should we really care if Cybertruck has a rolling cover vs a sliding cover if we get the same vault storage capacity and ease for use?

I can think of many reasons Tesla might want to change to a solid rigid sliding cover that possible could be made from cold-rolled 30x stainless steel.

If there was a lockable removable rear window of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel you would not have a vault but a cyber bank vault.

Tesla Cybertruck Why rolling vault cover should be replaced by rigid sliding vault cover. Optionally made of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel. cybertruck-cover-table
Sponsored

Last edited:

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am not sure that sliding wins every single category, but in general, I think its possible to make a better cover that way. How would you open it? Would it slide above or below the rear roof panel? Both have pros and cons...

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
How would you open it? Would it slide above or below the rear roof panel?
Rigid sliding roof could be very thin ( 3 - 5 mm ? ). Possibly 3mm cold-rolled 30x stainless steel.

Sliding cover stored in compartment under cabin roof.

Slide out from under cabin roof.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Wow... It looks like you put a lot of thought and effort into making a list and fleshing out your thoughts.

But, Tesla has rooms full of engineers and automobile designers. All making top-of-their-field pay and working on this for literally YEARS. After considering and discussing the tonneau, and using a first principle design strategy, they decided on using a rolling tonneau cover.

I'll take their design decision. No offense to you, but I trust their judgement and ability to weigh positives and negatives of things we may (and may not) even be aware of. For instance, one of the things you made no mention of, is how the stowed position would fit into the design overall. How it stows, and the mechanics of the entire system, may be completely incongruent with the entirety of the truck.

In the back of my mind I can't quite picture a person walking into a design meeting at Tesla and slapping your chart on the table. Then after reading it seeing the engineers get sweaty-armpits and break into a running, yelling, frenzy around the Austin building.

My reply might come off as pretty snarky, don't take it that way. I get what you're saying. But rolling tonneau covers on pickups aren't new or overly complicated by any stretch, and are proven. For this part of the CT I trust the process.

Now, the wiper system... that might have been a wee bit of an afterthought.

Last edited:
OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Wow... It looks like you put a lot of thought and effort into making a list and fleshing out your thoughts.

But, Tesla has rooms full of engineers and automobile designers. All making top-of-their-field pay and working on this for literally YEARS. After considering and discussing the tonneau, and using a first principle design strategy, they have they landed on using a rolling tonneau cover.

I'll take their design decision. No offense to you, but I trust their judgement and ability to weigh positives and negatives of things we may (and may not) even be aware of.
Yes, I did a lot of research but I did not do it to tell Tesla anything.
I am trying to predict what Tesla might do in the future. What are the range of options available.

We all have to trust their judgement but we do not know what there final decisions are yet. We can only made educated guesses which is what I am trying to do.

One of the things that makes Tesla different from traditional auto OEMs is if Tesla has more info that indicates they should change how something should be done they make the change fairly quickly. Even models currently in production can get significant changes (ie. single piece rear casting, octo valve heat pump, etc.)

Are they never to change their mind if new and better info is discovered.

If Tesla can change production so drastically they certainly might change a product like Cybertruck that is 12 months away from production.

Looking at the Cybertruck prototype from last week it is possible Tesla is testing other options for the vault cover.

The Cybertruck reveal was over 24 months ago and production is still 12 months away.

Tesla could have changed their mind about rolling cover being the optimal solution based on 2 years more engineering review, results of prototype testing, and more refined production cost estimates.

The Cybertruck rolling cover might be much more expensive than standard F-150 6.5 rolling bed covers because:
1. Angle length over bed & spool being below bed the total length of cover is maybe 10-11 ft.
2. The severe second turn of tracking at roof/vault top could cause system binding issues that might increase manufacturing costs. Standard F-150 rolling cover do not have secondary turns.

The low price for a extremely capable EV truck was a major reason many people made reservation.

Maybe rolling cover is too expensive even in high production quantities.

Also Tesla might now prioritize additional functions higher than they did 2 years ago.
Things like mid-gate, passthrough for items over 6.5ft, solar, etc.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Rigid sliding roof could be very thin ( 3 - 5 mm ? ). Possibly 3mm cold-rolled 30x stainless steel.

Even if there is a roof overhang the number of panels required to make a cover and motorize them would likely take up almost the entire height of the bed. Let’s say the overhang is 1’. So you would need at least 7 for a 6.5’ bed. If there is 1/8” for each ‘plate’ and at least the same as gap between them, you have used up what, ~2’ just to store the panels? So you gave up a foot of bed space for this idea. The panels could be much thinner but you would need a way to stiffen them or the cover would be useless for strength and security. I think the rolling design is better all around.

Myu calculation is off. The plates alone would take up at least a few inches plus whatever space would be needed for motorizing it. It might still render the bed less useful.

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

I like the concept. I think it should be stowed above the glass roof. 3-5 mm might be optimistic. In place it would be very smooth. Open it might stick up a bit. But fitted with solar you would want it exposed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We don't know if each cover weighs more or less, to be perfectly honest. Let alone any of the other pros and cons on the list.

-Crissa

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I like the concept. I think it should be stowed above the glass roof. 3-5 mm might be optimistic. In place it would be very smooth. Open it might stick up a bit. But fitted with solar you would want it exposed.
The other issue is the top of the truck is a trapezoidal shape. The sheet in the forward position will stick out funny. M8s

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
" A thunder sheet is a thin sheet of metal used to produce sound effects for musical or dramatic events. The device may be shaken, causing it to vibrate, or struck with a mallet. It is also known as a thunder machine, "
Wikipedia

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
People keep talking about this sliding roof idea, but I just don’t think it would work.

I would not care if they did the roller door they currently have or some kind of sliding roof so long as it did what the roller door does.

Mainly:
  • Securely covers the vault when closed.
  • Vanishes completely when open.
  • Allows you to drive with the vault open or half open.
I have yet to see a sliding roof concept which accomplishes this and I doubt I will. The fact that the roof gets narrower as you get higher makes pretty any slider roof a no-start unless you make the vault the same width as the narrowest part of the roof which is like of lame.

Most of the concepts I’ve seen assume you can set aside some laws of physics to work.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Aesthetically, I doubt Elon and the designers would allow a slide cover. It needs to be hidden. I dont think roll-up is as hard or expensive as one might think.

Although it does go against the simplier is better idea that Elon talked about.

I'm sure the designers and engineers will find a happy medium

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Aesthetically, I doubt Elon and the designers would allow a slide cover. It needs to be hidden. I dont think roll-up is as hard or expensive as one might think.

Although it does go against the simplier is better idea that Elon talked about.

I'm sure the designers and engineers will find a happy medium
Rollers go in a line, one following the other. There are millions of doors using this technology for security doors and truck covers. The only thing really unique about them is the fact that they tuck under the floor instead of in a box at the end of the truck bed. Well that plus the fact that they are stock.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
One of the issues with a rigid single piece cover is when retracted, the user experience changes in the cabin from the fishbowl visibility. Even if the cover was clear, when deployed, cover would show what is inside.

I am in the rolling tonneau cover camp. However, I would only be annoyed if there was no integrated powered cover.

While 3rd party application is available, they tend to look bolted on and I prefer a clean appearance.
Sponsored