Why two motor types in CyberBeast?

GhostAndSkater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
So are you saying that the losses through the laminations are there regardless of if torque is commanded or not?
Yes, those are the core losses, and are split into Eddy losses and Hysteresis losses. The first is due to the change in magnetization on the steel laminations, and the second is due to induced currents due to the changing magnetic field

When joined, they are proportional somewhere from the square to the cube of rpm. Doubling your motor speed quadruple to triple the core losses

Induction motors also have those, but only the motor in active and has a induced magnetic field on the rotor, else the losses becomes just the gears, bearings and windage (air friction on the gap between rotor and stator), which are considerably smaller

I'm looking forward to figuring the gear ratio of the reductions, because I think this is one of the reasons they went with induction motors, they have a bigger gear ratio since top speed is lower, and when towing have loads the motors will have a higher average power at lower vehicle speed compared to a Model S/X, meaning the motors would spin too slow and operate inefficiently

So you increase your gear ratio, but then your core loses grow fast due to the square to the cube relation

The Semi is similar, the two acceleration motors have a considerably more aggressive gearing, with a whole other gearing stage, because they need the power and also inductions motors wouldn't cut there

In flat cruising engaging permanently the acceleration motors with the more aggressive gearing would results in too much losses

Last edited:

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
I tend to ignore threads about speculation, complaints, and 1-upping each other. But then @CyberGus comes around and makes my day 😀
What Cybergus didn't mention is he too was at the after party. He clearly must have bumped into the cybergirls , unless he was standing in the corner.

What's cool was they were there for the party and passing out cybertruck pins.

Notice who signed my pass?

Rick

Tesla Cybertruck Why two motor types in CyberBeast? 17018767561993460144494396673246

Tesla Cybertruck Why two motor types in CyberBeast? 20231130_145526

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
FYI, Tesla has had combinations already. See the chart I put together.

One aspect: It does appear that permanent versions allow them to regen down to 0 MPH. My 2017 Model X with two inductions does not (regens to like 3 MPH).

<snip>
Updated my chart for the CT

Tesla Cybertruck Why two motor types in CyberBeast? 46c0Jkn
Sponsored