Why we here need to pretend to be excited about the Ford F-150 Lightning

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Call me stubborn, but the super plug in hybrid concept is barely a hybrid. The drive remains all electric so you have all the torque and low maintenance of BEV, the propane motor takes up less than a cubic foot, the generator another 1.5 or so. You would have a small tank on the vehicle with the ability to hook up to a larger
removable tank in the bed. If the propane runs dry or there is a mechanical issue it would have very little impact on the vehicle. You would remove and replace the motor rather than worrying about servicing in place.

This concept is really an integrated generator tied to the charge computer/controller and heat pump system. It would have one speed. Full charging. No transmission. It would be very efficient in the winter.
A 10 hp genset would probably net you 6500 watts which is basically a nice level 2 charger except it would run while you drive. On a long trip while towing it would run constantly and should enable you to have the normal range you would have without your trailer.

Until I can drive 5 straight hours while towing (Breakfast to lunch at 70 mph) I will be dissatisfied. Not even a CT3 will do that. I don't ever want to invest in another ICE. I don't want to own 2 truck/suv type vehicles either.

This is a bridge until better batteries at a reasonable cost are available.
Your efficiency with an ICE truck would be better than a hybrid in the application you outlined above. The efficiency of charging batteries with ICE engines is atrocious!

If you like propane powered trucks so much, buy a propane powered truck! I drove three of them regularly in the 1980's. All of them had V-8 gas engines converted to propane.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I'm quite confident Ford will seek a profit maximization between ICE F-series sales, energy credits, and F-150 Lightning sales. They'll slowly convert their fleet one sales year at a time, all the while hoping that the price per pack goes down. They'll get squeezed in 2030 or 2035 but they know that and their fattening up for the lean years. It's entirely logical. Sell the new concept to the portion of truck folk who are willing to do new while offering all the other things that Ford theoretically offers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford, at some point, proclaims itself as the company that helped America transition to EV. Hey, whatever keeps your stock afloat. I'd prefer it if you hurry the eff up but sometimes the dinosaurs don't move that fast.

Besides, the sooner they get more F-150 Lightning on the street, the sooner I can smoke one in my CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you like propane powered trucks so much, buy a propane powered truck! I drove three of them regularly in the 1980's. All of them had V-8 gas engines converted to propane.
Fuel to battery to motion is often more efficient than fuel to motion. It's not cheaper to build, but as long as the EV side is strong enough that it doesn't need to affect the generator side, it's more efficient.

It's when they cheap out and make the generator run at the non-optimal rpm that it's atrocious.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
did ford make a deal with tesla to use the supercharger network?
That would be game changing for Ford. Excited for the reveal tonight!

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2013 Tesla Model S 85, '06 BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0si, Soon: Tri-Motor Cybertruck FSD
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
That would be game changing for Ford. Excited for the reveal tonight!
and tesla! might finally get some help in rolling these out! Imagine if every ford dealer/service center had a bank of SCs

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
At a Supercharger location? Really? Clown shoes.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.00.27 AM.png

did ford make a deal with tesla to use the supercharger network?
I agree. If Ford made a deal with Tesla to use Tesla charging network, that would be a huge initial advantage to Ford customers. But long-term to Ford brand?

But this type of move would require great humility and confidence by Ford management to have all of Ford's most profitable customers to be constantly exposed to Tesla products.

I can not see Ford management doing this but hopefully we find out tonight.

If Ford did this what will happen to Ford stock tomorrow?

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Fuel to battery to motion is often more efficient than fuel to motion. It's not cheaper to build, but as long as the EV side is strong enough that it doesn't need to affect the generator side, it's more efficient.

It's when they cheap out and make the generator run at the non-optimal rpm that it's atrocious.

-Crissa
Thanks for your support, I don't think HaulingAss really gets it. Tesla would never have an integrated on board ICE genset, but Ford might. It could do very well up north.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Thanks for your support, I don't think HaulingAss really gets it. Tesla would never have an integrated on board ICE genset, but Ford might. It could do very well up north.
I still hope that Tesla has a port or standard for us to supply power - be it solar or whatever - from the bed.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
Gimme some stats on the van, Ford! Truth is, really want an electric van.
I think I heard somewhere 130 miles range and $43K. Double check. I wouldn’t trust my memory

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag

-Crissa
Fuel to battery to motion can be more efficient than regular ICE but that's basically impossible in a long-distance towing situation which is what we were discussing, if I'm not mistaking.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Fuel to battery to motion can be more efficient than regular ICE but that's basically impossible in a long-distance towing situation which is what we were discussing, if I'm not mistaking.
It works in mine trucks and locomotives. But still this is different. Little tiny motor making power and slowing the battery draw over several hours. It wouldn't really be efficient (except in winter) but a quality integrated unit might add 3- $4000 to the price of the vehicle and really increase range with an auxiliary tank.

Lots of room in the Ford frunk. It would take up 1/3.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
Besides, the sooner they get more F-150 Lightning on the street, the sooner I can smoke one in my CT.
This is all good. Hopefully lightening will reduce the weight time for CT. It will get us a CT update soon. After a year and a half of silence, Tesla must have a ton of shock and awe news to share. If I get more silence treatment from Tesla, I will start to think there was never a plan to mass produce and the whole thing was just to light a fire under Ford and GM booty.

I think Ford is going to make a lot of things that are standard on CT as option which makes CT a better value. I definitely like the look of CT a whole lot more however if Tesla keeps me hanging and Ford can get me an EV truck two years earlier than CT, I may settle for less and live with being smoked by your CT at the light. For now I am crossing my fingers Tesla will communicate a bit better.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Advertisement