Will Dual Motor Cybertruck Have 4680 Cells?

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
I have been trying to find it (without luck) and I'm sure others here have already watched it, but on the Now You Know YouTube channel, they recently conjectured that because the ranges of the different Model S models were similar to the CT ranges, and that only the Plaid + would be getting 4680 cells, that maybe only the tri motor version would be getting the newer cells. Of course none of this is based on any real info, but more comparisons between the two models. However I am curious as a dual motor holder, would anyone here be convinced not to get dual motor (or single for that matter) if that had the older cells? Implications being not as long longevity (million mile battery??? and I hope faster charging) w/ older 2170 cells. Thoughts?
Advertisement

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
As battery cell manufacturing will be part of Giga Texas, it is most likely that all CTs will be powered by 4680 cells. The main difference in the battery packs of the 3 variants will be the number of cells per pack.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
I wouldn't call 4680's a slam dunk yet. Panasonic still ironing out some stuff. Here is what they say:

“Producing these larger cells requires you raise your craftsmanship one or two full levels or there will be safety issues,” Yasuaki Takamoto, Panasonic’s EV battery head, said in an interview."

....The larger capacity, however, is also what makes the cells more difficult to produce. They are prone to overheating because it’s difficult to disperse heat from their center. They’re also more susceptible to particle contamination, a frequent cause of EV battery fires that occurs when minuscule metal pieces find their way into the center of a cell, causing it to short-circuit, according to Takamoto.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
If history is any indicator, older battery designs are phased out, I think only the 4860's will be manufactured from now on (better, faster, cheaper). No reason to hang on to old tech, yes?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If history is any indicator, older battery designs are phased out, I think only the 4860's will be manufactured from now on (better, faster, cheaper). No reason to hang on to old tech, yes?
The older models will use the older cells until they're updated, too.

As long as they don't need to replace the lines, keeping them running is better than shutting them down. They need every cell they can produce, no matter the size.

I don't believe the Cybertruck is designed to have anything other than the 4680 cells.

-Crissa

Alan

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D 2014Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the high energy anode and cathode development will be the holdup for the cybertruck and the plaid + and the roadster. I think they are ok on the 4680 form factor for the lower energy density cells.

Cyberpark

Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
I have been trying to find it (without luck) and I'm sure others here have already watched it, but on the Now You Know YouTube channel, they recently conjectured that because the ranges of the different Model S models were similar to the CT ranges, and that only the Plaid + would be getting 4680 cells, that maybe only the tri motor version would be getting the newer cells. Of course none of this is based on any real info, but more comparisons between the two models. However I am curious as a dual motor holder, would anyone here be convinced not to get dual motor (or single for that matter) if that had the older cells? Implications being not as long longevity (million mile battery??? and I hope faster charging) w/ older 2170 cells. Thoughts?
My guess is that the 4680 battery was used when the CT was designed from the beginning.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mostly with 4 wheels
Country flag
Actually it might be the opposite:
Single and dual motor CT get the 4680 LiFePo cells and Tri-motor gets the high nickel content 2170 cells

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Not using 4680 cells, unless its a definite upgrade, will sway my decision.

As more and more toys are being researched and built those factors will also influence my decision.

My standing is quite high and I forecast delivery (when my number is up) to be 3-5, possibly even 6 years from commencement.

So a lot can happen between now and then, plus one-upmanship should be roaring!

Lets hope for the BEST!

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This article says with the old tech, you will probably be OK for 300,000 miles with 5-10% loss every 100K miles. And it seems like new batteries have not always been better. I personally still probably get the CT regardless pending the facts and competition at the time (could be 4-5 years from now).

https://electrek.co/2020/06/06/tesla-battery-degradation-replacement/

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Actually it might be the opposite:
Single and dual motor CT get the 4680 LiFePo cells and Tri-motor gets the high nickel content 2170 cells
This is reasonable, sensible and mirrors the value in each CT123.

CT1 is driving a single motor nickel is a waste on its light duty workload.

CT2 dual motors are easily driven with a double stacked battery pack. Range being what it is. Perhaps demand will emerge for a Long Range dual motor in which case the upgrade might include nickel batteries.

CT3 tri-motor needs to meet spec and range. Nickel is how it gets there. By design 4680 enabled CT3 and whether Tesla offer + or PLAID is dependent on whether nickel is up to the task.

NOW here is where it gets interesting: mixed. Combining technologies into a single pack is my idea of innovation. I want two things Tesla can solve - range anxiety and Zero Battery.

Range is always going to be at issue. CT3 takes the best stab at putting anxiety to rest. Were it not for towing, anxiety would be managable.

Little red gas cans don’t exist for EV. Tesla can still use its metaphor as icon to reduce the fear of Zero Battery. In the post digital world analog no longer symbolizes steam engines of the past. A simple red colored Gas Can icon is rest assured comfort that not all is lost in event Zero Battery % charge fate visits you.

Inside structural battery pack, compartmentalized and segregated are a unitized group of battery cells. Their express purpose being to switchover after 0% to k watt hour of range reserved for the predictable. The moment CT runs itself into the ground. Then and only then can a button rescue the moment. In a magical AI UX experience of presenting the littlle red gas can icon just when your CT needs it most.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Inside structural battery pack, compartmentalized and segregated are a unitized group of battery cells. Their express purpose being to switchover after 0% to k watt hour of range reserved for the predictable. The moment CT runs itself into the ground. Then and only then can a button rescue the moment. In a magical AI UX experience of presenting the littlle red gas can icon just when your CT needs it most.
The combo idea is intriguing.

I think many of them already try to get you a little farther than you think however range for EVs is like torque and HP for ICE. As the competition get more cut-throat, it will get harder for any company to use space, add weight and cost for additional battery and hide the added range.

FullyGrounded

Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Nobody here really knows. The best you can get here is some intelligent banter.

In fact, I can only give you a good guess as to why you'll only get intelligent banter. I am not even positive of that. This whole world is full of unanswerables, yet many still try to provide the answer, for whatever reason. Best of luck. Life is a poker game, put your game face on. peace

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Honestly.. I would rather mine have the 2170's... why you ask?? They are proven tech now. However.. as said earlier.. I think it was designed around the new cells and it wont go into production until they have enough.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
The graphic they showed on battery day had the CT having the 4680 cells (see attached image). What might be wondered about is whether all 3 models will use the same cathode material. Tesla said all would use the high nickel cathode but who knows. is only a 4% difference in range from the nickel to the nickel/manganese cathode. The tri motor I suspect will get the high nickel cathode but the single motor might get the lead or nickel manganese. All would use the 4680 profile and structural battery pack.

4409DE1D-3C7D-4BB1-BE53-DF069E1E8FFB.png

Advertisement

Advertisement