Will RWS be standard or optional?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Elon Tweeted last month "We’re adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns & maneuver with high agility."

During July's announcement that the Cybertruck will have desirable RWS it wasn't made clear if it was standard or optional feature.

What do you think? If it's an option, how much? Do you plan on checking the option box if it's not standard?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It doesn't sound like a feature Tesla would invest in being optional.

They don't do major engineering that's optional. And having this as an option would raise the complexity of their repair manuals, assembly, AI.... So why do it at all?

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Elon Tweeted last month "We’re adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns & maneuver with high agility."

During July's announcement that the Cybertruck will have desirable RWS it wasn't made clear if it was standard or optional feature.

What do you think? If it's an option, how much? Do you plan on checking the option box if it's not standard?
We do not know if it will be an option on Cybertruck. I hope it is standard.

GM/Chevy has announced that RWS will be option (not standard) on their pickup, Silverado Electric.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That's why I reserved the single motor. Living in Southern California, that's all the vehicle I NEED. Unfortunately Tesla combines range with performance in how they build/price their vehicles. So, after getting a better understanding of range, I WANT a Tri-motor.
To add to your list, how about an all-glass roof standard too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
My guess is RWS will be optional on the Tri Motor/Dual Motor and unavailable on the Single Motor.

The RWS option will not be cheap. My best guess is $6k when reservation holders configure their Cybertruck builds starting in 2022.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Unfortunately Tesla combines range with performance in how the build/price their vehicles.
This is because:

A) The performance requires the bigger battery and
B) The bigger battery is most of the difference in cost.

So you couldn't sell the performance with a smaller battery, it would have less performance! And once you've tacked on the bigger battery, it loses performance, so might as well also tack on the performance motors!

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
My guess is RWS will be optional on the Tri Motor/Dual Motor and unavailable on the Single Motor.

The RWS option will not be cheap. My best guess is $6k when reservation holders configure their Cybertruck builds starting in 2022.
Might be much cheaper than $6K.

GM used to charge $7K for 4WS and finally discounted to $2K and that was for a truck that had rear solid axle as standard.

The Cybertruck already has independent & air suspension on all 4 wheels.
Maybe Tesla can save expense by using same components from steerable front suspension for the rear suspension.

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
That's why I reserved the single motor. Living in Southern California, that's all the vehicle I NEED. Unfortunately Tesla combines range with performance in how they build/price their vehicles. So, after getting a better understanding of range, I WANT a Tri-motor.
I’m dreaming big tho

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I want to convert mine to dually so it can carry a bigger truck camper. Someone opined a RWS won't make this conversion possible. I don't know.

Double Dare Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
etsy.com/PlatonicWoodWorks
Country flag
Someone opined a RWS won't make this conversion possible.
It is possible. It would include a truckload of complexity, both in hardware and in software.
The main source of the complexity will be that each wheel will have to turn to a different angle, so that all the wheels will trace out concentric circles.
If an autobody expert and a computer nerd put their brains together, scaling this mountain of a task would be like stepping over a molehill.
If you actually do this, video it and put it on YouTube, please. I would like to see it come together.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I want to convert mine to dually so it can carry a bigger truck camper. Someone opined a RWS won't make this conversion possible. I don't know.

Using a Tesla Semi might be cheaper than converting the Cybertruck, and Semi with only a camper on it might give longer range than Cybertruck with a camper on it.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This was my evolution too. I wanted the Single, its all I really needed. I ordered the Dual because I thought the extra 50 miles range plus AWD was worth the cost to upgrade. I bought the Model Y and got frustrated with the range on it... so I upgraded to the tri motor for the range.