First Name
Barry
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Electrician/inventor/retired
Country flag
I understand most of what FSD will do ,(example )keep you in your lane ,keep you out of the ditch ,and prevent you from hitting the person in front of you. But will it avoid a head on collision with somebody that just crossed the median into your lane ?
will it steer you away from danger?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X100D, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Maybe sometimes. I'm afraid I can't do better than that. The radar would see something closing at speed greater than possible for an obstruction or stopped vehicle in front of you and would probably try to get you into another lane or off the road if it found clear space to either side. But if it couldn't?

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
Here is a link to an incident that happened recently in regards to what you are asking.

https://electrek.co/2020/03/09/tesla-autopilot-automatically-avoids-head-on-collision-car-wrong-lane/
I’ve noticed with the FSD visualization the vehicle is able to tell the color of the stoplight as far as 500 ft away (possibly more). There’s also currently a couple different settings potentially applicable to the head on collision scenario including the Forward Collision Warning settings and Obstacle Aware Acceleration.
DDF998DC-9B11-426F-BFD0-52AA9F0BD98E.jpeg

By the time FSD is finally released, it will likely have many improvements and enhancements from what we’ve experienced today with auto-pilot.

Dids

First Name
Les
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 21 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I’ve noticed with the FSD visualization the vehicle is able to tell the color of the stoplight as far as 500 ft away (possibly more). There’s also currently a couple different settings potentially applicable to the head on collision scenario including the Forward Collision Warning settings and Obstacle Aware Acceleration.
DDF998DC-9B11-426F-BFD0-52AA9F0BD98E.jpeg

By the time FSD is finally released, it will likely have many improvements and enhancements from what we’ve experienced today with auto-pilot.
TUsimple claims they will have FSD on semi with cargo on public roads by 2021. And some other companies already have driver out FSD 18 wheelers driving on public roads.
https://www.tusimple.com

Last edited:

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
I hadn’t heard of TUsimple before, definitely going to have to look more into them! A friend of mine is a cross-country truck driver who’s looking to retire in about 4 years, that profession certainly seems to be on the cusp of change!
TUsimple claims they will have FSD on semi with cargo on public roads by 2021. And some other companies already have driver out FSD 18 wheelers driving on public roads.
https://www.tusimple.com