Will Tesla stick with a 3mm thick exoskeleton for production?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
3mm would be ideal but I will be happy with 2mm thick exterior panels.

I read that Elon initially wanted 4mm thick panels but he compromised after weight concerns.
Elon: "If there was anything stronger, we'd have used it"
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Elon: "If there was anything stronger, we'd have used it"
I always liked that quote. Sadly, there are people on this forum that either donā€™t read what he has said or they donā€™t believe him, and that is frustrating. My position is that if you donā€™t believe what Elon says about the Cybertruck you should just leave and get another truck.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It is a lot !!

I took out my wifes SS Wok the other day, put a measuring tape on the edge.. and it sort of looked like 2.7MM

This wok can withstand a Nuclear force,, so I think the CT's SS is actually a tad over 3 mm... 3.2?... For public use, this is a strong piece of steel plating.

------------------------------

Just yapping.... if I go into a new house I can sense the quality,. not sure what it is, but I can sense thickness of the walls. It is the overall construction quality which combines to give the feeling,

think the CT is going to give that same overall impression, it will be overwhelmingly solid quality and incomparable to whatever it is competing against.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I expect the door will be capable of taking some sledge hammer blows.

Donā€™t care about mm thickness. So long as I donā€™t have to worry about driving through the woods and the occasional branch denting my truck doesnā€™t matter.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I expect the door will be capable of taking some sledge hammer blows.

Donā€™t care about mm thickness. So long as I donā€™t have to worry about driving through the woods and the occasional branch denting my truck doesnā€™t matter.
My guess is that 3mm is the thinnest they can go and still get the overall strength they need.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Hello all. Don't be surprised to hear that exterior panel thickness has been reduced on the production Cybertruck. Why? Range, cost, ability to mass manufacture and frontal crash requirements.

I predict the front valance, front fenders and hood will be 1mm thick and that the other panels will be reduced to 2mm, about 1/16ā€ (about the thickness of a nickel).

43465891-8F8B-4A8F-9FDA-4022EBE89126.jpeg
No way man. We were promised a bulletproof tank from the future. It's 3mm all the way down.
(tortoises šŸ˜)