Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle?

Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle?

• Total voters

K1200LT Rider

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Avalon, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 2002 Toyota 4Runner, 1999 BMW K1200LT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Me too! Alta MX... best motorcycle I've owned, and for those that don't know the bike, it's electric!
I wish I had one to replace my ancient, noisy YZ250. I was super-disappointed when Alta disappeared. I was looking forward to owning one. Maybe I'll find an used one for a deal I can't refuse, but the lack of replacement parts scares me.
Sponsored

K1200LT Rider

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Avalon, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 2002 Toyota 4Runner, 1999 BMW K1200LT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
... although I would be more open to the dual motor version if higher battery capacity ends up being an option (and doesn't mean much later delivery for the dual motor version).
I think Tesla started making the most popular versions of the Model 3 and/or Y first. So, the most popular version of the CT (the 2-motor) will probably be the version built first. That's what I reserved.

OP
OP
Regenshire

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think Tesla started making the most popular versions of the Model 3 and/or Y first. So, the most popular version of the CT (the 2-motor) will probably be the version built first. That's what I reserved.
I agree simply because it is popular, will require less battery cells then the three motor version, and it uses the existing Raven drive train instead of a new drive train.

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT, ordered: 5-AWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I agree simply because it is popular, will require less battery cells then the three motor version, and it uses the existing Raven drive train instead of a new drive train.
Elon talked about delivery back in November and said he would be making the tri-mtr first because it would produce the most profit.

OP
OP
Regenshire

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Elon talked about delivery back in November and said he would be making the tri-mtr first because it would produce the most profit.
My understanding is that the single motor was pushed back to 2022 and the tri motor was moved up to 2021 (it was originally 2022). Both dual and tri motor are scheduled/listed to be configurable at the end of 2021 currently and I can't find any statement from Elon or Tesla actually saying that tri motor (or dual motor) is first, just that tri motor was moved up to 2021 and single motor moved back.

I would like a link to the quote on tri-motor coming first if you have it.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
My understanding is that the single motor was pushed back to 2022 and the tri motor was moved up to 2021 (it was originally 2022). Both dual and tri motor are scheduled/listed to be configurable at the end of 2021 currently and I can't find any statement from Elon or Tesla actually saying that tri motor (or dual motor) is first, just that tri motor was moved up to 2021 and single motor moved back.

I would like a link to the quote on tri-motor coming first if you have it.
I'm not sure if there's a quote. But they released model y's with top spec first, It would be logical to release the trimotor first.
Some people (websites, youtubers, resellers, turo renters) could make money on the 1st ones. So making the the first ones cost more makes sense. As well as having the first ones reviewed be the top spec makes every1 want it more! Lots reasons to release 3 motor 1st

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm not sure but I think it was when Elon had some of the youtubers at his house for a round table discussion: Galileo, Viv, Omar, Kristen etc.

OP
OP
Regenshire

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm not sure if there's a quote. But they released model y's with top spec first, It would be logical to release the trimotor first.
Some people (websites, youtubers, resellers, turo renters) could make money on the 1st ones. So making the the first ones cost more makes sense. As well as having the first ones reviewed be the top spec makes every1 want it more! Lots reasons to release 3 motor 1st
Yeah, but Model Y is based on the Model 3 drive-train/platform and uses the same battery sizes as the Model 3. The Model 3 did not launch with performance first when it came out.

I am a LR RWD Model 3 owner not because I didn't want dual motor, but because it was the only option you could get for about 3/4 of a year into launch. Mine was delivered right as they started producing Performance Model 3's and dual motors. And both of those share the same size battery with the LR, the main difference was the new at the time drive-train that was a mix of a motor from the Model 3 and Model S/X.

I am not saying that I am 100% certain dual-motor will come first, I just think it is more likely they will start with the dual motor because they are going to have less issues with delivering an existing drive train with less battery cells then a new drive train with more battery cells. Its likely why they originally were going to start with the single motor Cybertruck, its easier to supply the parts needed. They likely changed that because it had low demand compared to the other two version. Just my opinion of course, and I am only 60% sure on it coming first over the tri-motor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Regenshire

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm not sure but I think it was when Elon had some of the youtubers at his house for a round table discussion: Galileo, Viv, Omar, Kristen etc.
The Third Row Tesla Podcast with Elon from January? They talked about the Cybertruck near the end of part 2, I don't recall anything about the release schedule, but maybe I missed it.

Regardless of what they start with, the end of next year can't come soon enough. I am so excited for this to enter production and for us to learn more about it.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Yeah, but Model Y is based on the Model 3 drive-train/platform and uses the same battery sizes as the Model 3. The Model 3 did not launch with performance first when it came out.

I am a LR RWD Model 3 owner not because I didn't want dual motor, but because it was the only option you could get for about 3/4 of a year into launch. Mine was delivered right as they started producing Performance Model 3's and dual motors. And both of those share the same size battery with the LR, the main difference was the new at the time drive-train that was a mix of a motor from the Model 3 and Model S/X.

I am not saying that I am 100% certain dual-motor will come first, I just think it is more likely they will start with the dual motor because they are going to have less issues with delivering an existing drive train with less battery cells then a new drive train with more battery cells. Its likely why they originally were going to start with the single motor Cybertruck, its easier to supply the parts needed. They likely changed that because it had low demand compared to the other two version. Just my opinion of course, and if I am only 60% sure on it coming first.
good thoughts, I hadnt really thought of battery demand for the 3 motor,it seems it will basically have 2 battery packs in it, they will have to increase battery production before they can be spittin out trucks in quantity's we all want.

OP
OP
Regenshire

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
good thoughts, I hadnt really thought of battery demand for the 3 motor,it seems it will basically have 2 battery packs in it, they will have to increase battery production before they can be spittin out trucks in quantity's we all want.
Yeah, I think they intend to stack the packs for that version, so double the batteries and double the packs they have to supply. I am interested to see how battery production ramps up over the next couple of years and if battery day will shed any more light on batteries for the Cybertruck.

Last edited:

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I may be wrong but I think that when we see battery day we will understand that batteries are not a problem anymore. We will see a new production line for batteries and he will announce that different vehicles will have different packs and the million mile battery will now be 2 million miles. Battery day is going to be an eye opener for the future of Tesla, can't wait.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
....3 motor,it seems it will basically have 2 battery packs in it, they will have to increase battery production before they can be spittin out trucks in quantity's we all want.
Yeah, I think they intend to stack the packs for that version, so double the batteries and double the packs they have to supply.
Both true if they use the cells that are going into the cars they are making today. Wait for battery day. May turn out they have a pyramidal or other form factor in mind for the CTs.

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
First Tesla and first electric vehicle. Last year I decided that our current vehicles, 2019 Chevy Trax and 2012 Ford Explorer would be our last ICE vehicles. I plan to trade in my Trax for the CT. My wife will continue driving her Explorer until it can't run anymore then we'll replace it with something.
Sponsored