Will the truck come with a full size spare?

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
How expensive would it be to buy a spare tire if you want one? Would that small price make the difference between two completely different vehicles in your purchase matrix? I mean, I don't want the weight of a spare taking up space for, what is for me, nothing. I haven't had a destructively flattened tire since 1990 (In a 1980 Plymouth Horizon which only got the flat because the muffler came off and got stuck in the wheel-well. The tire didn't go flat till I stopped. I suppose the muffler melted a hole in it)... I've had flats but with an onboard air compressor, that should be a quick fix with the CT.

EDIT: I get that people want the CT to come with a space for a full-size spare and that they aren't just complaining about the small cost of the actual spare. My Dad tells about a date he went on where he got 4 separate flat tires... You just don't see flat tires very often with on-road driving. Maybe a safari package with a spare and jerry can full of electrons or something.
It's not about the cost. It's not about being able to afford buying a spare. It's about having the storage for it engineered into the truck. Every aftermarket product is going to be a hinder in some way. I want a clean fit.

Edit:. I posted before I read you complete post. I've had a complete blowout in n a perfectly good tire on the road. It was good to have the spare available. Back on the road in 20 minutes. I've also had 2 blown tires on the same off road adventure. I don't carry two spares with me, but I was with another driver who had a spare with the same lug pattern. Spares are essential. 27 yrs of driving and I have needed them often, but when I did...I'm damn glad I had them.

I'm also surprised how many people don't realize they have a spare. I've personally shown 2 different people that they do indeed have a spare tire in their SUV and car. I was with my cousin last week when his mother in law (late 70s) called and she needed help because she blew a tire on a curb. She also didn't even know she had a spare tire in that SUV. They are not rare. Having one is a norm not an exception.

Incedently a lot of people also don't know they have a physical key in their key fob. Not always...but often. Ignorance is not bliss.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A clean fit for 35x12.5xr17?

or 35x8xr17?

or 32x8xr17?

or, the dreaded donut?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm honestly surprised by the number of people that don't think a spare is worth it. We don't know if the CT is coming with an onboard compressor. But there are arguments that carrying a compressor and a patch kit are a better option then just carrying a spare? I don't understand that argument at all. If you lose your bead, the patch it doesn't help.

I'd like the CT to have a spare onboard. If it doesn't, then that means I'm taking up a lot of bed space to keep the spare. Due to the tunnel cover (if it's going to be used) the spare would have to lay flat in the bed. What waste of bed space. The truck has 16" of clearance. Most full size trucks have less then 9" the Raptor has about 11" I think. Factory mount that spare under the bed and call it day. Engineer some kind of aero kit around it as necessary if it has an impact on range or noise.
So we haven't really had any completely confirmed detailed about the final design of the Cybertruck, but I would be extremely surprised if onboard air isn't available. This is because Tesla isn't planning on putting a designated air compressor for tools or filling up your tires at all, they are planning on tapping into the air suspension to give you compressed air. I see no chance that Tesla is going to scrap air suspension since that's one thing they are very proud about on the Cybertruck, so the only way we don't get it would be if they can't tap into it, which I don't see any reason why that would be complicated to engineer.

As for a spare in the bed needing to be laying flat. That may or may not be the case. From what i've personally measured just using tools on my computer against pictures of the tesla. The back wall of the cabin in the truck bed will be just under 3' in height. This would mean that a 35" tire would probably prevent the cover from closing. I don't think the cybertruck will come with 35" tires as stock, that's unlikely. So chances are you would be able to put a stock tire standing up at the front of the bed and it would just obstruct your view through the window, which wouldn't matter too much since you have a rear view camera. I believe a company will probably make a product that uses the Tslots and Ltracks for secure tire storage in the bed in just about any way that's possible. If there isn't a product, I don't think that would be hard to DIY.

As for under the bed as a spare location, I kind of doubt it. I've discussed this before but the Cybertrucks back wheels are further back than the Ford-150 lightning, which already seems to be pushing that space.

As much as i would also like to have a full size spare, not having one attached to the truck is fine for me. I have CAA which actually saves me money each year from all the discounts i get from the membership in other places and on my insurance. If I get a flat that i can't fix with just a tire repair kit and the onboard air, I get towed to my home and change it with a spare that I would have in the garage. If i'm going offroading or on a trip where I don't think i'll get a fast tow response, i'll secure it to the bed of the truck. Also if they put a spare on the back of the Cybertruck but it's smaller than the rest of my tires, I'd rather just get towed anyway.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Carpet really cuts down on noise in the truck though. Maybe some good indoor/outdoor type of carpet like they use on boats would work.
I know a lot of noise in the cabin is from vibrations. I don't know how it would be in an EV without a carpet but I know that Tesla has made a strong effort to reduce cabin noise and vibrations from the road before it can reach the cabin. Sandy Munro did a great breakdown of the Model Y in, there are a lot of videos but worth the watch in my opinion.

I guess we'll have to see, personally i would prefer a hard surface under a removeable carpet if it's possible without too much noise, but carpets aren't too hard to clean with a brush and a good attitude.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
According to my CT CAD drawings there isn't enough space behind the rear wheels and rear electric motor and drivetrain (from the M3) to fit a spare the same size as is on the prototype, without reducing the rear departure angle. Even then it's close to the rear bumper and would need some fancy engineering to support a tow hitch. You can see the underbed spare in the reflection along with the motor in the below photo. BTW that's a model s battery pack underneath for scale as well.

Sadly I think the only way to have a spare onboard will be third party accessory rear mounted spare option like this:

Tesla Cybertruck Will the truck come with a full size spare? Spare Wheel Options

Also a standing spare in the front of the bed probably won't work for a 35" tyre under the vault cover as this is the maximum height of the front of the bed. It tapers down to the back of the bed to 24".

As for remote areas in the outback and cross country driving, a spare is a must. A tyre that size is also un-common and would likely not be in stock at a local regional dealer, resulting in 2-3 days of waiting for a spare to arrive.

As for alternatives: having onboard air helps together with a puncture repair kit and tyre foam can would keep you out of trouble for some of the most common tyre failures. Failing that some bead lockers will give you run flat capability depending on the tyre you use.

OP
OP

Mythrainder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Compliance
Country flag
I know its a long shot but I have a hard time believing that the Tesla think tank could collectively decide on producing a truck without a spare. That would be a significant bad move in my opinion. It also looks like there is ample space behind the rear casting under the bed. If this truck comes with a cubby space below the vault floor and doesn't have a spare there instead, I am definitely going to question their thought process. "Lets put this little cubby under the already securable vault". Definitely dumb. I can see myself loading some furniture in and thinking, where is that furniture blanket and tie down, oh yeah, its in that stupid cubby under the floor of my main storage area that just got covered up. Please Mr. Musk, lets leave putting a box in a box to Bezos over at Amazon. People will be hauling and towing stuff and relying on this truck to be a work horse in many situations. The Cybertruck needs a spare tire.
"Work Horse" Yes, that was my first thought at the unvale! Thank You! That's what a pick up is! If ya just want to look slick driven round town on saturday night get a "S" or Chevy will most likely make a pretty slick EV vett for boys what want to be pretty. Worken folk carry their own horse shoe, nail, hammer, pic, knife and file; just expensive, embarrising and cring making to call a farrier on a drive to replace a thrown shoe. "Dont shoot yur horse carry a lucky shoe"! :D

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
How expensive would it be to buy a spare tire if you want one? Would that small price make the difference between two completely different vehicles in your purchase matrix? I mean, I don't want the weight of a spare taking up space for, what is for me, nothing. I haven't had a destructively flattened tire since 1990 (In a 1980 Plymouth Horizon which only got the flat because the muffler came off and got stuck in the wheel-well. The tire didn't go flat till I stopped. I suppose the muffler melted a hole in it)... I've had flats but with an onboard air compressor, that should be a quick fix with the CT.

EDIT: I get that people want the CT to come with a space for a full-size spare and that they aren't just complaining about the small cost of the actual spare. My Dad tells about a date he went on where he got 4 separate flat tires... You just don't see flat tires very often with on-road driving. Maybe a safari package with a spare and jerry can full of electrons or something.
if the price of a spare tire is the difference between affording the CT or not, you can't afford it.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
if the price of a spare tire is the difference between affording the CT or not, you can't afford it.
I think most people just want a concealed spare put somewhere on the truck. It would be a nice feature but with EV trucks coming out, needing big batteries to give it a decent range, it doesn't seem like many of these trucks having too much extra space for a spare. From the Ford Lightning photos that show the spare, I can't say for certain but it seems like it won't fit tires much bigger than stock options.

I plan on putting 35 inch tires on the Cybertruck, especially if I can get that as an option from tesla. If not then I keep the stock option as emergency backup or maybe put performance tires on them if I decide I want to take the Cybertruck to a track or something.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
By the way I think spares are a waste of space anyway, our MDX has a puncture repair aerosol and a little compressor what more do you need? As it is if cowboys want a spare just do what cowboys do and throw an old worn out tire with a cheap rim in the bed.
A good place to store that "repair aerosol" is in the trash can, it will trash your TPS and make a mess of ever patching the tire IF it's patchable, they are only effective for small nail/screw leaks on the main tread belt and a sidewall cut will put you in the "time out box".

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Yep happy, that's were us pickup owners live land work - BFE ;) take care out there friend.
So what is "Plan B" for those "Anti-Spare drivers soon to be pedestrians" out there when you have that "not plug-able moment" and find yourself not in your driveway and 100 miles from anywhere on a weekend at night in the mountains and it's snowing and you did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night? Just wondering how that is gonna play out. What would of been a 15 minute break in the action is now possibly a few hours waiting for a flatbed tow to civilization then awaiting a few days for a spare tire pre-mounted on a rim to be shipped in because where you ended up has no 24 hour tire shop with attached warehouse for that monstrous tire. I don't think FedEX or UPS has that airdrop delivery method perfected just yet nor able to fly in such a heavy object to your exact location with that drone thingy. I am listening.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Yes, we do.
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/0...you-want-in-the-apocalypse-is-the-cybertruck/

At least, they promised 240v and a compressor at the reveal.

-Crissa
This does give me a bit of peace of mind:

Elon Musk Claims “The Truck You Want In The Apocalypse Is The Cybertruck”

I just can’t see how this can be the focus of the design, having spaceX SS, that tough glass and let CT be stranded while a Grand Cherokee with a full size spare drives by. Elon wanted CC to kick ass in as many areas as possible. Spare is a solution that has been around for decades. They won’t put out a CT in 2022 that is less capable. The rest of the Tesla’s that have been made so far are road vehicles with efficiency in mind. CT is an apocalypse machine that goes to help others not call for help. It is suppose to project strength and nothing is weaker than being stranded hoping someone comes to help you. Or worse having to borrow a spare from F150 lightening or R1T.

The solution may not be what we can imagine or expect but I have a feeling there will be a good solution and it won’t be call Tesla or AAA for help during Apocalypse. There are a ton of smart features about CT, they won’t be dumb about keeping you going. Have a little faith.
Sponsored

Last edited: