Wiring harness for towing

xtreembob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Never owned a truck before ordering my CT. I’m may buy a trailer for traveling/boon-docking. Assuming from threads I’ve read that it will have a receiver hitch. Do you think it would come with a wiring harness?
Hoping this will become my new home on wheels ?
Waiting for production to begin is painful but hoping 2022 brings me my new toy.
Cheers!
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It will certainly have the standard plug at the hitch end. It may or may not have a connector in the cab depending on whether it has a brake controller built in.

OP
OP

xtreembob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It will certainly have the standard plug at the hitch end. It may or may not have a connector in the cab depending on whether it has a brake controller built in.
Good point on the latter, didn’t think about that. Thanks!

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
You can bet your ass it'll have brake controller built in. It'll also have the trailer plug in the rear. Most likely, it'll be the industry standard round plug. Tesla would never offer a truck without both of those features. Since the brake controller is basically a software interface with the braking and the CT will already have that interface, it seems it would be really simple to include with every purchase.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
Never owned a truck before ordering my CT. I’m may buy a trailer for traveling/boon-docking. Assuming from threads I’ve read that it will have a receiver hitch. Do you think it would come with a wiring harness?
Hoping this will become my new home on wheels ?
Waiting for production to begin is painful but hoping 2022 brings me my new toy.
Cheers!
Based on selling this as a "real" truck it should come with an integrated brake controller. The Model X did not come with a brake controller but did come with wiring, so it seems that it is a pretty simple install. While I'm excited about the CT, I'm not sure it is going to be great for towing over distances. If you haven't and towing is going to be a significant part of your planned use for CT, recommend watching some of the MX and MY towing videos. The Model X's range, even with small camping trailers significantly decreased. Even if the real world range of an unloaded dual motor CT is actually 400 miles, when you add a large trailer it is likely to drop by 50% or more. The extra range of the tri-motor might make distance towing viable, but I'm not sure. Around where I live there are no fast chargers that would allow you to charge without dropping the trailer. If you've never hooked up/unhooked a large trailer, it can take 10-20 minutes, especially if it has sway bars, so just not practical. It will work if you are staying at campgrounds with 240v outlets and can get from one to the other in a single day. This limitation will apply to all electric trucks, not just CT. But back to the original question, I will be surprised if it doesn't come with an integrated brake controller and 7 pole pin connector for trailer lights/brake/charging.
Sponsored