Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I would love for this to be true, the 30 Cybertrucks, but it’s highly unlikely

5 betas? Sure. Crash testers, spec verifications. THIRTY? We would know something by now.
for reference, ford hand built 50 Raptors ~ 12 months before delivering any. I dont know how many regular F150s but I know it was north of 200, presumably to account for 4x2 vs 4x4, engine types, cab sizes, bedsizes etc

if 30 turns out to be the number build id say that virtually guarantees one powertrain option
Sponsored

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
for reference, ford hand built 50 Raptors ~ 12 months before delivering any. I dont know how many regular F150s but I know it was north of 200, presumably to account for 4x2 vs 4x4, engine types, cab sizes, bedsizes etc

if 30 turns out to be the number build id say that virtually guarantees one powertrain option
Pretty cool hearing history like this!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Not the first time Ford has done dozens of hand-built units. Also there are other brands that specialize in hand-built models. Hand-built is usually really hand-assembled not hand-crafting of individual parts ( no workers using hand tools on sheet metal to shape fenders).
Hand-built prototypes are more likely to have some hand-crafted parts.

It should be much more practical and less costly to hand-craft Cybertruck exoskeleton using laser scoring and press-brake than hand-craft (hammer sheet metal into curved fenders, etc) traditional shaped truck body.

---------------------------------------------

2023 Ford Ranger Raptor production photos emerge ahead of showroom arrivals
Photos of the new-generation Ford Ranger Raptor on the production line have been released as the first Australian showroom.
By Joshua Dowling
September 2022
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-ford-ranger-raptor-production-photos/

A batch of a dozen Code Orange and Conquer Grey Ford Ranger Raptor pick-ups arrived in Australia last month ahead of media and marketing duties this month. Hand-built prototypes and early assembly line-built examples have been here (Australia) for more than a year.

----------

2023 Ford Ranger Raptor Rumored to Be Priced at $52,500 in the United States
2 Feb 2022
By Mircea Panait
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ced-at-52500-in-the-united-states-180617.html

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 30 Cybertrucks to be manually built in December 2022 [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS or TWITTER TALK] o-be-priced-at-52500-in-the-united-states-180617-7

Cadillac shares new details of hand-built Celestiq, including a starting price tag ‘north of $300K’
* Celestiq would not just feature handmade components, but will be an entirely hand-built EV – featuring over 100 3D-printed elements.
By Scooter Doll | Oct 17 2022
https://electrek.co/2022/10/17/cadi...q-including-starting-price-tag-north-of-300k/

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 30 Cybertrucks to be manually built in December 2022 [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS or TWITTER TALK] Cadillac-CELESTIQ-hero-blue

* Production models have hand-assembled engine by a single engineer

2022 Mercedes-AMG G 63 SUV Starting MSRP at US$ 179,000
https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/model/g-class/suv/g63w4
https://mercedes-benz-media.co.uk/en-gb/models/g-class-mercedes-amg-g-63-variant

Powered by Mercedes-AMG The Mercedes-AMG G 63 is powered by a handcrafted AMG 5.4L V8 biturbo direct-injection V8 petrol engine, that drives all four wheels through a Mercedes-AMG Speedshift Plus 7G-Tronic seven-speed automatic transmission with ECO start/stop function.

The advanced V8 powerplant – hand-assembled by a single engineer, like all Mercedes-AMG engines

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 30 Cybertrucks to be manually built in December 2022 [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS or TWITTER TALK] Cadillac-CELESTIQ-hero-blue

Hand Built 1969 Mustang Boss 429 Heads to Mecum joshcourter
By Josh Courter March 20, 2014
https://www.fordmuscle.com/news/hand-built-1969-mustang-boss-429-heads-to-mecum/

Only 50 of these prototypes where ever made and this one, number 38, is headed to the Mecum Kansas City auction in April, 2014. Not only does this mean Boss have the honor of being one of only 50, it’s the first candy apple red Boss 429 ever built. This car was the 29th Mustang sold to the public in 1969.

The original Boss 302 was a road racing variant of Mustang designed to compete in Trans Am racing. By 1969, Chrysler had begun to dominate the NASCAR circuit. The Boss 429 was designed to compete wheel to wheel against Mopar’s 426 Hemi on the Ovals. Ford sub-contracted Dearborn, Michigan-based manufacturer Kar Kraft to build the Boss 429s. Since the Boss 302 bodies weren’t wide enough to house the 429 engines, Mach 1 bodies where used. The Ford 429 engine produced a claimed 375 Horsepower though many believe the horsepower ratings are closer to 500.

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Hardtop Coupe
In the late 1960s, Ford developed a new 429 cubic-inch V8. This new powerplant featured all-new free-flowing cylinder heads, an aluminum high-rise intake manifold, a 735 CFM Holley carburetor, 11.0:1 compression, header-style exhaust manifolds, and a four-bolt main block, conservatively rated at 375 horsepower. When installed in the Mustang, it created the Boss 429. The 'Toploader' four-speed manual transmission and a 3.91:1 Traction-Lok rear axle were mandatory options to help combat the power from the engine. Other features included an engine oil cooler, a trunk-mounted battery, a competition suspension with front and rear anti-roll bars, power front disc brakes, and fat F60x15 tires.

To accommodate this new engine, the shock towers were cut and relocated. To alleviate the in-house production burden, Ford had the cars sent to Kar Kraft, of Brighton, Michigan.

The Mustang Boss 429 were the priciest of the non-Shelby Mustang to date, and commanded a price of $4,087. Built in limited numbers, fewer than 900 examples were built during the 1969 model year.

* Production models have hand-assembled engine by a single engineer

2002 Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG and SLK32 AMG A pair of wicked runners from the performance office.
By Peter Robinson
Published: Jun 1, 2001
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15138167/2002-mercedes-benz-c32-amg-and-slk32-amg-review/

Mercedes builds the C32 in its Bremen plant, but each AMG engine is still a hand-assembled source of pride.

AMG's adding an oversized V-6 Kompressor badge to the flanks. The theory being that a V-6 plus a supercharger (not a turbocharger)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG VEHICLE TYPE front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan ESTIMATED BASE PRICE $51,000 ( new price in 2002)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG VEHICLE TYPE front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door roadster ESTIMATED BASE PRICE $57,000 ( new price in 2002)

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 30 Cybertrucks to be manually built in December 2022 [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS or TWITTER TALK] s-benz_slk-class_convertible_slk32-amg_s_oem_1_500

** Not just the engine but a lots of hand building on the body.

2019/2020 Nissan GT-R50 by Italdesign is the first collaboration between the marque and the design and engineering company. The prototype at Goodwood may become the blueprint for a limited run of 50 hand-built units priced from about $1.1m. Italdesign developed, engineered and built the car. Design features include a power bulge on the bonnet, stretched LED headlights, a lowered roofline and “samurai blade” cooling outlets behind the front wheels. Two different carbon-fibre finishes feature across the centre.

Nissan GT-R50 by Italdesign Development
Oct 15, 2018
DPCcars

The Rimac Nevera Is Officially Here The first production batch of the all-electric hypercar will soon be delivered to customers after five years of development.
By Emmet White Jul 12, 2022
https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-cars/a40590557/the-rimac-nevera-is-officially-here/

* After five years of development, Mate Rimac's brainchild all-electric hypercar, the Rimac Nevera, is finally in production.

* The hand-built 150-unit limited run of Rimac Neveras will be produced over three years, with each of the 150 bespoke models differentiated by interior trim options.

* With 1914 all-electric horsepower, reactive torque vectoring, and a carbon fiber monocoque chassis, the Nevera ushers in a new era of super performance at the cost of $2.4 million.

As the first round of production-grade Rimac Neveras rolls off the production line in Zagreb, Croatia, CEO Mate Rimac wants you to know it wasn't without difficulty. Having been through a five-year development process, the company endured 45 physical crash tests, 18 prototypes, and three different powertrains. In spite of this, and with the newfound ability to crank out 50 hand-built units a year, the Rimac Nevera will be in production for three years.

--------

First Production-Ready Rimac Nevera Takes to the Streets
12 July, 2022
https://www.rimac-automobili.com/me...tion-ready-rimac-nevera-takes-to-the-streets/

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
if 30 are delivered and some of them fall in the hands of famous influencers on social media, IF CT holds up with its premises or it's even better, like Musk repeats over and over, all papers, tv and internet are going to talk about CT for a long time
Highly unlikely any of these will end up outside of employee hands. While Tesla does let there beta vehicles out in the wild, whoever gets access to them is usually quite closed mouth about them and they never get shown off.

More likely is Musk making an appearance on Jay Leno’s channel with the truck. Or some kind of event.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Blah blah blah it’s a truck forum. Can’t we please have a corner of the internet not get spoiled?????

every other thread lately with the politic crap.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Blah blah blah it’s a truck forum. Can’t we please have a corner of the internet not get spoiled?????

every other thread lately with the politic crap.
Just start reporting all of the off topic political posts. It’s not 100% effective, but at least on a thread like this with an active relevant topic maybe we can get them purged?

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
it's IDRA (the mythologucal animal with 7 heads that regrow when cut off) and not IRDA (the old infrared communications ports)! 🙃

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Celestiq would not just feature handmade components, but will be an entirely hand-built EV – featuring over 100 3D-printed elements.
So Cadillac has a guy hand assemble 100 3D printed parts in an hour? Noice!

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Without the giga press up and running producing the giga castings, I see no point in this exercise. Do they need more prototypes? With actual production slated to start in less than a year? I think not.

Also, crash tests without the giga casting would be invalid.
If they mill a few rear and front sections, they would be able to make sure all the other pieces will fit as planned. Also, they would be able to use the prototypes to help finish building out the production line. There are a bunch of steps that are easier if you have a buck to use while calibrating machines. How do we get this dash through the door opening? Can we put the seats on the battery pack prior to assembly? When does it make the most sense to put the wheels on?

Having additional prototypes allows you to test/calibrate many stations concurrently. Once the buck does its job, you finish it out and sell it. Or you recycle it.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
If they mill a few rear and front sections, they would be able to make sure all the other pieces will fit as planned. Also, they would be able to use the prototypes to help finish building out the production line. There are a bunch of steps that are easier if you have a buck to use while calibrating machines. How do we get this dash through the door opening? Can we put the seats on the battery pack prior to assembly? When does it make the most sense to put the wheels on?

Having additional prototypes allows you to test/calibrate many stations concurrently. Once the buck does its job, you finish it out and sell it. Or you recycle it.
Most of the serious questions have already been answered by the Model Y build and the current CT prototypes. Since the new Giga Press is key to the mass production of the CyberTruck, any version without that key component will NOT be equivalent. IMHO

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Err well maybe ... but unless you're an Tesla insider, I have to question that emphatic no. How do you think they are going to cobble together a LARGE single piece casting for the CyberTruck out of pieces that would in any way represent an equivalent bottom casting holding the battery and joined to the Exoskeleton?

In any case NTSA may be just that lax in their testing requirement but I would think an "as built" vehicle would be essential for Crash testing and rating. They should only test production vehicles, not preproduction samples not manufactured with the same structural components.
NHTSA may not do certification crash testing until they can pull representative models from normal production, but you can bet your ass that Tesla will do some form of testing before making thousands and suddenly finding out they earn a 2-star rating. No, Tesla will definitely do some early crash testing before NHTSA gets involved.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I call BS! The 9k gigs press is not up and running, and you can’t have a proper crash test unless you have the actual structural casting’s installed to conduct the test!
Well, a proper test is NOT required prior to selling vehicles...
I definitely didn’t see that they made any castings but we do know that they fully assembled the gigapress in Italy before shipping it. Sorry, I wasn’t very clear.

I’m just thinking it would maybe make sense for them to just make a few castings in Italy since they already had it operational. I mean there is definitely tons to do after they make the castings. Seems like it would really speed up the whole process.
I suppose it's possible Tesla sent over some of their special aluminum but I don't see IDRA having the furnace to melt it down unless that's part of the Press. Further, with as many bad castings that were done for the MY rear... Well, it would have been a lot. Maybe Tesla has the process dialed in so much that they didn't have to make a bunch of scrap castings.

Really reaching though.
Sponsored