I am holding firm on my CT reservation for the UK. Who else ?

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 P
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
As stated in the other thread, it is pretty likely that this could be driven with a normal pre 1997 licence (given a laden weight under 8500kg )or with a paper based derating, and the commercial rating would allow mods for the pedestrian safety.

We need to keep the pressure up on Elon to bring us our full size CTs ! I suspect our biggest hurdle is the sheer demand in the US.

Who is with me ?
Sponsored

sk1d00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Holden VY SS Ute 2004, Volvo XC60 2009
Country flag
Who is with me ?
I am with you :)

I am 50/50 with the Wolverine (cool name though) i.e. half of me wants the original size and half thinks it's stupidly too big. My wife instructed me our next car should have a wide rear seat so a future pet could sit there so an OG CT would fit the bill.

My licence is 1988 or thereabouts so I'm fine.

I heard somewhere that 20/25% of pre-orders are outside of US though so Elon has the incentive.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
If you'd accept the left-hand-drive version John (and it's legal there), it should come faster.

Otherwise, if the rumours of fly-by-wire steering are true, it will be easy to produce right-drive models for you.

Whichever's the case, the best of luck to you for speedy delivery. After I get mine.

sk1d00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Holden VY SS Ute 2004, Volvo XC60 2009
Country flag
If you'd accept the left-hand-drive version John (and it's legal there), it should come faster.
I'd prefer RHD, that's why I have a Holden Ute as it's basically a modern El Camino with the steering wheel on the correct side (for UK, let's not open that can of worms). LHD is still legal in UK, years ago the E30 BMW M3 was LHD only.

Plus If I imported a US Tesla when it is not supported by the local Tesla infrastructure that could be bad. MInd you I do drive an Australian pick-up :-0

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are adapters for Tesla to Menneke, but yeah, it would be a pain. Multi-phase wiring has to be re-routed.

-Crissa

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Otherwise, if the rumours of fly-by-wire steering are true, it will be easy to produce right-drive models for you.

Whichever's the case, the best of luck to you for speedy delivery. After I get mine.
Australia, New Zealand, India and Japan spring to mind, so there should be a market for a RHD CT, as the CT is less than a couple of feet longer than my Navara I can live with that and will hold out but I would like a definitive answer from Tesla that we will be getting it by using our existing rules we have now for pickup trucks, also by the time the CT in in production we will be free from Europe and all it’s regulations if our government and it’s people decide to follow our own standards again.

Oobbeeddoo

First Name
Bryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MGTF 160
Occupation
Environmental professional
Country flag
There are a huge number of small businesses and emergency services in the UK and EU who could make use of the full size cybertruck and smaller variants.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
As stated in the other thread, it is pretty likely that this could be driven with a normal pre 1997 licence (given a laden weight under 8500kg )or with a paper based derating, and the commercial rating would allow mods for the pedestrian safety.

We need to keep the pressure up on Elon to bring us our full size CTs ! I suspect our biggest hurdle is the sheer demand in the US.

Who is with me ?
Most North Americans would not understand these issues. Assuming the importation and sales would be handled by Scottish service centers, there might be a good place to start. Good luck.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
That's where my money is.

"Tesla should build a factory in the UK."
May have made sense a few years back. But now, by choosing a Euro country, there'd be many more potential buyers -- and they won't be hampered by shipping delays and punitive tarrifs. Or right-hand drive.

97trophy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Country flag
May have made sense a few years back. But now, by choosing a Euro country, there'd be many more potential buyers -- and they won't be hampered by shipping delays and punitive tariffs. Or right-hand drive.
We don't know how the Brexit negotiations will turn out. The worst case is the UK may have a 10% tax on exports to the EU on WTO rules - that may well be negotiated lower.

Shipping is not an issue, the Eurotunnel has the capacity to export millions of cars all over the EU mainland. Even with the new borders in 2021 trade will be swift.

The UK has a more business friendly environment that Germany. This was the big reason Honda, Toyota and Nissan all built factories in the UK. German Unions are very strong and the cost of personal and regulations in Germany is much higher than the UK. I know people that were in HR for Ford of Europe and had to negotiate with those unions. TSLA is in for a shock. Thus, I am suggesting that cost of operating in Germany could be higher per unit than the tariff the EU puts on UK exports.

The UK will probably be TSLA 2nd biggest market in Europe. And there is a chance that Germans will buy VW EVs rather than TSLAs (Europeans are very Nationalistic on their car buying) allowing the UK to be TSLA biggest European market.

Honda UK has long exported LHD cars to the USA...the UK can easily manufacturing LHD cars...lol t

So I disagree on all your points.

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
We don't know how the Brexit negotiations will turn out. The worst case is the UK may have a 10% tax on exports to the EU on WTO rules - that may well be negotiated lower.

Shipping is not an issue, the Eurotunnel has the capacity to export millions of cars all over the EU mainland. Even with the new borders in 2021 trade will be swift.

The UK has a more business friendly environment that Germany. This was the big reason Honda, Toyota and Nissan all built factories in the UK. German Unions are very strong and the cost of personal and regulations in Germany is much higher than the UK. I know people that were in HR for Ford of Europe and had to negotiate with those unions. TSLA is in for a shock. Thus, I am suggesting that cost of operating in Germany could be higher per unit than the tariff the EU puts on UK exports.

The UK will probably be TSLA 2nd biggest market in Europe. And there is a chance that Germans will buy VW EVs rather than TSLAs (Europeans are very Nationalistic on their car buying) allowing the UK to be TSLA biggest European market.

So I disagree on all your points.
"... I disagree ...."

I'll respectfully bow to your knowledge, which, as I said, we North Americans are not familiar with. (Nonetheless, I did read that Brexit caused one of those Japanese makers to regret its having located a plant in the UK.)
Sponsored

Last edited: