Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Even if they don’t have a solar array set up right away sustainable energy is plentiful here in Texas, they will easily be able to power it with 100% renewable energy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, they hit a grid limit at Giga Nevada, which is why they hadn't added more. There's a big geothermal plant not far. Actually, several of them.

-Crissa

OP
OP

cam

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 motor cybertruck FSD
Occupation
retired
Country flag

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon doesn't talk much about wind energy, or at least I've not heard him mention it, only solar.

In Texas wind energy is pretty big, more than any other state.

"Texas ranks first in the country for both installed and under construction wind capacity, while supporting over 25,000 wind-related jobs. In fact, with over 30 gigawatts (GW) of wind in the state, only four countries have more wind power than Texas." AMERICAN WIND ENERGY ASSOCIATION

There probably won't be any wind turbines at Tesla Austin. I have relatives that live about 40 miles north of Austin and they had a firm assess a wind turbine for their place and it was determined that not enough wind to justify the cost.

Here is a map from AWEA and Austin doesn't show any wind farms close by
Tesla Cybertruck solar powered texas terafactory Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.17.25 PM

Texas does have some solar farms and some under construction or planned. I knew os a solar farm being built SW of Childress, TX and is probably finished by now, that was 4 years ago.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just west of Austin.......Austin, NV ?
Weird, you did know I was talking about Geothermal next to Giga Nevada, since that's what I said.

Here is a map from AWEA and Austin doesn't show any wind farms close by...
...It doesn't need to be near by, tho. We run electricity through these things called 'wires'... ^-^

-Crissa

Reactions: cam

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Weird, you did know I was talking about Geothermal next to Giga Nevada, since that's what I said.
Weird? All I did was expand the map from the link you provided and just happened to find Austin, NV. and the geothermal areas were west of it.

It was a play on the names and places. You need to get out more often.

...It doesn't need to be near by, tho. We run electricity through these things called 'wires'... ^-^
It was to show that there isn't enough wind in the area to have wind farms and that's why you probably won't see a wind turbine at Tesla Austin. That's all.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It was to show that there isn't enough wind in the area to have wind farms and that's why you probably won't see a wind turbine at Tesla Austin. That's all.
I don't think it's a lack of wind, though there seems to be an arc from the coast inland that doesn't have many projects, but that section of Texas isn't as empty or flat as the pan handle.

There needs to be a certain amount of wind, yes, but there are also economic considerations. And rumpled terrain means taller towers which mean further can see them which means more people get involved and more people means more chances it gets nixed. More population density also means more people, etc, etc. And higher land prices. And and... Lots of reasons why projects don't pop up places not directly involved in the location of energy sources.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
@Crissa @TruckElectric Yeahh guys.. Texas is almost all basically on its own grid. It is called ERCOT. So as long as those wind turbines are hooked to that grid they are good. Your power provider determines where they are purchasing energy from. so you can buy dirty energy "clean energy" or renewable energy.

Tesla Cybertruck solar powered texas terafactory 1606826351471

The closest power plants to me are coal and natural gas, but my power provider purchases renewable energy.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@Crissa @TruckElectric Yeahh guys.. Texas is almost all basically on its own grid. It is called ERCOT. So as long as those wind turbines are hooked to that grid they are good. Your power provider determines where they are purchasing energy from. so you can buy dirty energy "clean energy" or renewable energy.

1606826351471.png

The closest power plants to me are coal and natural gas, but my power provider purchases renewable energy.
Facebook announced a data center was chosen to be in North Fort Worth in 2015 I think. It was said before even construction began that the electricity would be provided by a wind farm in Clay county.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Facebook announced a data center was chosen to be in North Fort Worth in 2015 I think. It was said before even construction began that the electricity would be provided by a wind farm in Clay county.
Rice University does this also, it’s called energy offset. There power is not literally coming from a solar farm, but the money goes to a solar farm to produce enough energy to offset there consumption every year. Facebook, did not build a direct line to the wind farm in clay county.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Facebook, did not build a direct line to the wind farm in clay county.
Of course it didn't, you didn't know that? Facebook gets its electricity *delivered* by Oncor, Texas's largest transmission and distribution electric utility.
Sponsored