Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I just roll with what I got. No reason to waste money on liners, just vacuum out the car/ truck every week, the floormats take the friction and real abuse. if I need to replace the carpet it will be in 30+ years, plus as some1 noted they can be slippy.
I think the carpet in the 67 mustang I rebuilt was like 250$ to buy and a half day to replace.

that being said I would still love a hose it out option.
That was a feature I was going to do if I got a jeep. bedline the interior sheetmetal and make sure the drain plugs were easy to pull.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
While reading this thread I just realized I have bought nothing but rubber all-weather types of floor mats all my life, in order to "protect" the fragile delicate carpeted floors. Do most people drive barefoot that I am unaware of? Why carpet? Why not just a velcro attachment system mounted to the bare floor, with different options of carpet or rubber or decorator hardwood flooring or what have you, and just let the buyer choose? Opera or rodeo? It don't matter, we got Everybody covered!
While reading a comment Crissa made about carpet floors on another thread. I started thinking about how we have recently purchased a new Pacifica Hybrid and promptly bought Weathertech floor mats.
They're great for our family, in a minivan near the beach. But I thought WHY do we need carpet in vehicles in the first place. Carpets are for bare feet and I would think 95% of drivers have shoes on.
So, when I searched to find this thread, I came upon this perfect comment that matched my thoughts.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Carpets dull road and cabin noise, as well as being insulation. They're also more anti-slip than rubberized floors, and with modern hydrophobic coatings, shield the rustable floor slightly more.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Carpets dull road and cabin noise, as well as being insulation. They're also more anti-slip than rubberized floors, and with modern hydrophobic coatings, shield the rustable floor slightly more.

-Crissa
Whatever.:oops::p?:unsure:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

-Crissa
Which is why Navy ships are covered in carpet! I'm disagreeing with you for like the first time in history. Not that carpet doesn't do the things you say it does, but that it is better at any of those things than an alternative.... I think carpet was put in cars because it was desired as a luxury and for the reasons Frank designer guy said.... and not to dampen noise or protect anything.
I very much hope that a electrostatic conducting water proof foam urethane floor is the covering and that carpet is only used on the floor mats. Its so silly to have carpet in my pickup truck then cover it with rubber mats because it can't perform the duties of floor covering.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
After reading everyone's opinions, I want a rubberized waterproofing with drain plugs option. Rhino lining alone would be brutal on bare feet, and interestingly, I still like to slide off my flip flops... and carpet helps to cushion. However, carpet gets nasty, absorbs nasty spills, can mold; and while it should be an option, I think the other option should be rubberized waterproofing with drain plugs. peace

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
After reading everyone's opinions, I want a rubberized waterproofing with drain plugs option. Rhino lining alone would be brutal on bare feet, and interestingly, I still like to slide off my flip flops... and carpet helps to cushion. However, carpet gets nasty, absorbs nasty spills, can mold; and while it should be an option, I think the other option should be rubberized waterproofing with drain plugs. peace
Open 1 rear door lower truck at that wheel and drain.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which is why Navy ships are covered in carpet!
...Because Navy ships deal with debris covered shoes, road noise, and care about the comfort of their passengers?

Mold doesn't care if the surface is carpet or not. Any surface can grow mold.

-Crissa

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Open 1 rear door lower truck at that wheel and drain.
I'm pretty sure Elon with his nearly infinite intellect, will address these needs in the same way he's addressed the exoskeleton, the 30x SS, the .30cd, the air bag/computerized suspension, etc, etc. And, most likely won't be draining out an open door, just in case the wetness is coming while "on the run" during "the apocalypse". Just sayin

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I'm pretty sure Elon with his nearly infinite intellect, will address these needs in the same way he's addressed the exoskeleton, the 30x SS, the .30cd, the air bag/computerized suspension, etc, etc. And, most likely won't be draining out an open door, just in case the wetness is coming while "on the run" during "the apocalypse". Just sayin
Your right! I want a wet / dry vacuum tube to suck up all the wetness plus act as an apocalypse toilet.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
That's a good point. As a guy, I don't care for a toilet when the apocalypse is happening, but my wife would! ?

Is there a poll for carpet vs rubberized flooring yet? Because I can't wait to cast my vote to finally put an end to carpets in vehicles. Just, just why?!

And darn you @Crissa, for providing a logical response to why! We can't be having logic for carpets in this thread, only pro-rubber here ?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Your right! I want a wet / dry vacuum tube to suck up all the wetness plus act as an apocalypse toilet.
Ewwwwww!

While I see the utility of your end of the world scenario, it will have to be the end of the world before I’ll “relieve” into a vac that is built in. I can just imagine the cleanup and residual odors...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
residual odors...
?

Tho I have built a evaporative portable potty before... It was three poles, a privacy curtain, a toilet seat, a plastic vent hose, a solar power fan, a 5 gallon bucket, and a liner designed to condense the black water.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
?

Tho I have built a evaporative portable potty before... It was three poles, a privacy curtain, a toilet seat, a plastic vent hose, a solar power fan, a 5 gallon bucket, and a liner designed to condense the black water.

-Crissa
Did it involve a vacuum chamber?

I can just imagine the jokes from ICE drivers about emissions testing for vehicles with the ports potty shop vac option.
Sponsored