Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
My Tacoma came with carpet mats on top of carpet to keep the carpet clean. It also came with a Bedliner to protect the bed. If you have to add an additional to layer to protect the thing, the thing is poorly designed. There should never be a need for aftermarket parts to make anything functional as it's intended, that just means the OEM left money on the table for someone else.
I sure hope cybertruck comes with a durable hard floor that I can hose or blow out. Perhaps have to lift the truck on one side to make the water all run out. Then for the folks that want carpet ( me when I'm going to the opera) Tesla should make carpet mats that lock into place.
If weathertech can make rubber mats to protect carpet. They can make carpet mats if Tesla fails to do the right thing.
I agree with you there, build it “right“ from the beginning. On a side note Weathertech‘s newest floor mats are pretty sweet and a definitely an upgrade from their rubber ones. I have 210k miles on my Taco and still going strong. I am still looking forward to parking it for the CT though.
Sponsored

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
If there is a cost savings, many fleet vehicles would be ordered with the rough and tumble interior...

Unless they are like contractor salesman cars, then they will have the luxury interior.
Never trust a contractor with a shiny expensive vehicle LOL! Equivalent to a “I charge more” billboard

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have seen people not trust a salesman/contractor because they drove a 'junky' vehicle, since they do not make enough money to afford a nicer vehicle, so they must not be good.

Was not my thinking, but it does happen.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I can’t see the “apocalypse ready” CT being equipped with any type of floor carpet from the factory. Maybe the designers are working on a thin black colored astroturf type of flooring (Cyberturf!) that could be easily washed out with a hose that is super durable.

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
I can’t see the “apocalypse ready” CT being equipped with any type of floor carpet from the factory. Maybe the designers are working on a thin black colored astroturf type of flooring (Cyberturf!) that could be easily washed out with a hose that is super durable.
LineX next level martial lol

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
I have seen people not trust a salesman/contractor because they drove a 'junky' vehicle, since they do not make enough money to afford a nicer vehicle, so they must not be good.

Was not my thinking, but it does happen.
Ya, I think it’s a gradient: junker, mid-line 150/1500, then flashy add $20k for luxe ???

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
While reading this thread I just realized I have bought nothing but rubber all-weather types of floor mats all my life, in order to "protect" the fragile delicate carpeted floors. Do most people drive barefoot that I am unaware of? Why carpet? Why not just a velcro attachment system mounted to the bare floor, with different options of carpet or rubber or decorator hardwood flooring or what have you, and just let the buyer choose? Opera or rodeo? It don't matter, we got Everybody covered!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
While reading this thread I just realized I have bought nothing but rubber all-weather types of floor mats all my life, in order to "protect" the fragile delicate carpeted floors. Do most people drive barefoot that I am unaware of? Why carpet? Why not just a velcro attachment system mounted to the bare floor, with different options of carpet or rubber or decorator hardwood flooring or what have you, and just let the buyer choose? Opera or rodeo? It don't matter, we got Everybody covered!
Makes too much sense and would be harder to tell how old the vehicle is... same reason seats are not offered with universal mounts and you cannot pick the style you like best.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I personally prefer the way my Ram 2500 longhorn edition has the floor mats. Carpeted floors with big rubberized floor mats. The mats have snap in commercial grade berber style carpet inserts. Front each side has rubber floor mats with carpet inserts. One big floor mat across the entire back that is rubberized with carpet pieces that snap in. That allows you to take them out if you don't want them . If you do have them in and they get dirty, they can be washed from hosing down to throw in the washer, etc. To me it's kind of the best of both worlds. I just unsnap, vacuum on the ground and snap them back in. Actually most times I just unsnap, shake them out, then snap back in. As long as the interior is not white! :cool:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Carpets are a dirt sponge: But that's actually useful. They collect the damage, sand, dirt, and liquids that come off your boots onto a surface that can be cleaned (well, with the right tool, a steam cleaner) and replaced. They retain their traction when wet or dirty, too.

Having the rest of the floor carpeted also reduces road noise and echo.

That said, I would want the actual floor to be something durble and more easily washable. I can have carpet floormats if I want.

-Crissa

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I’m expecting to wait for the Weathertech option as well. For scuba, hopefully opening the roll-top cover, unloading tank, bc, etc. and then sliding in, closing the cover, changing and moving into the cab through a pass-through will work nicely.
otherwise, maybe covering the rear seat bench with a waterproof cover, getting in the back and changing will work to keep the front seats dry. I prefer not to drive in my wetsuit, but in the CT it may be a non-issue.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I just roll with what I got. No reason to waste money on liners, just vacuum out the car/ truck every week, the floormats take the friction and real abuse. if I need to replace the carpet it will be in 30+ years, plus as some1 noted they can be slippy.
I think the carpet in the 67 mustang I rebuilt was like 250$ to buy and a half day to replace.

that being said I would still love a hose it out option.
Sponsored