Want the economic incentives for buying a Tesla in Virginia? Think again.

OP
OP

Obxcast

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Escape hybrid; Model Y SR
Occupation
Program Director
Country flag
Sorry, I wasn’t totally clear. And yes it sounded like DDR/Eastern Germany at a point there ? Which is far from the case.

This isn’t as permanent as for OP. I can still choose the monthly price contract or fixed 6 months, 12 months, etc etc. etc. Too many confusing types of contracts really. The meter was changed regardless 5 years ago for purposes of national power security and fine adjustment of hydropower production and our grid efficiency. I have chosen hourly spot where “the market decides” myself because... I used to think it was fun to automate and try to “beat” the system... and now it just works and I don’t care. It’s always warm when we’re home and we shower as much as we like. Electricity isn’t very expensive at all on average here. But we do export a lot which is priced on the Nordpool power exchange for Europe. And spot price (as given on the Nordpool exchange) is cheaper on average in the really long term than any other pricing (based on the same power exchange). Just like in the case of mortgages etc. And I don’t have to keep an eye on my electricity providers changing (tricky) future period pricing (and their averaging of profits).

I don’t even see the bill anymore, I have some systems that automatically adjust to predicted spot prices (and our Tesla that charges in the night), and I don’t spend any time worrying about peak or not peak or in fact electricity at all.

It was more an anecdote and rather a warning about peak hours and not a recommendation at all, because as I say it all works really different across borders not to mention the Atlantic Ocean. This was another kind of fixed peak periods too and unknown pricing.

Ultimately though the point of incentivizing people to average/flatten power usage across 24hrs, and maybe even some power saving when not strictly necessary, is to lower pressure on the systems and get lower costs for all and less effects on nature because production doesn’t have to be expanded all the time.
I think that’s some great points. And it makes sense from the power company standpoint. I just have so many dang kids that they kill my power lol!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Obxcast

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Program Director
Country flag
Love the Outer Banks especially the Wright Brothers Memorial and the hill the 1st flight was from
absolutrly! We love Avon and Hatteras. I fish down there a lot during the fall. Can’t wait to take the Cybertruck out on the point...well what’s left of it anyhow.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Seems that way. From what I understand Federal tax incentives do not apply to Tesla anymore (at this time anyhow) but some other EVs can get it depending on how many they have sold. But, it’s only applied to tax liability. For our solar panels we actually got cash back. As for state by state I don’t know as I’d have to rely on their webpages but I’m VA we don’t have anything.
You get cash back if you were to buy Teslas solar “slate”/tiles too?

absolutrly! We love Avon and Hatteras. I fish down there a lot during the fall. Can’t wait to take the Cybertruck out on the point...well what’s left of it anyhow.
Avon and Hatteras were just brands of inflatable dinghies and motor yachts respectively for me. Looks like great places on the map though. Reminds me that I really should drive a Tesla in the USA sometime.

Delivered my Model 3 to get the “heating wires” in the rear window fixed today. Got a Model X Performance Ludicrous+ as a loaner and it felt like a CT for me. Except that the CT will be much more of a tank. I just felt like driving more and more. I guess I could survive with a 2021 Model X if the CT doesn’t come to Europe, but the Model X is so much more expensive(!) and not as practical. A varied country like the USA with all the room and famous sights will be perfect for a 800+ mile CT with all its room.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Obxcast

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Program Director
Country flag
You get cash back if you were to buy Teslas solar “slate”/tiles too?

Avon and Hatteras were just brands of inflatable dinghies and motor yachts respectively for me. Looks like great places on the map though. Reminds me that I really should drive a Tesla in the USA sometime.

Delivered my Model 3 to get the “heating wires” in the rear window fixed today. Got a Model X Performance Ludicrous+ as a loaner and it felt like a CT for me. Except that the CT will be much more of a tank. I just felt like driving more and more. A varied country like the USA with all the room and famous sights will be perfect for a 800+ mile CT with all its room.
Sorry I missed the solar question. We don’t get money for solar but we have a banking system like cell phone min. If we produce more than we use then it’s banked for us. If not we pay the difference. I like it and there are no batteries and such to deal with. Also our Kw rate is pretty low anyhow compared to places like CA.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Sorry I missed the solar question. We don’t get money for solar but we have a banking system like cell phone min. If we produce more than we use then it’s banked for us. If not we pay the difference. I like it and there are no batteries and such to deal with. Also our Kw rate is pretty low anyhow compared to places like CA.
That's known as net metering, Virginia is one of the states that give you equal credit vs what the power would cost you, I moved from Arizona which is not net metering friendly, When I lived there they would only give you a credit of 1/3 of what they would charge you, my power company was SRP

OP
OP

Obxcast

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Program Director
Country flag
That's known as net metering, Virginia is one of the states that give you equal credit vs what the power would cost you, I moved from Arizona which is not net metering friendly, When I lived there they would only give you a credit of 1/3 of what they would charge you, my power company was SRP
Wow that’s low

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What!? You mean I live in a state that is very Democratic and has a Governor that preaches about the environment and they not only offer jack for purchasing an electric vehicle, but they won't even allow you to use the own companies incentives? Let me put on my shocked face :cautious:.
Those who favor government actively involved in improving all and sundry, often forget that there's ALWAYS unintended consequences, downside, usually. TANSTAAFL (physics has conservation laws that pretty much forbid magic free stuff; economics probably does too); and also, some of us suspect that they WANT a never-ending stream of problems, as job security and an excuse for grabbing ever more power.

IMO, Tesla is an example of the alternative. Yes, there may be some tax incentives, but mostly it's when someone smart sees opportunity where others see problems, they find a way to profit from helping to solve the (perceived, at least) problem; and if enough are persistent enough, some succeed. That's called the marketplace, and for all its faults, government can't match its effectiveness.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
its was .04 a KWH and cost was over .12 a KWH. SRP doesn't want people getting solar they make you jump through hoops, wasn't worth it IMO
In terms of efficiency, that's nuts, since except for keeping them clean from dust deposits (lots of dust storms, and only a few times a year enough rain to do more than harden the dust coat), AZ is a great place for solar.

OTOH, selling solar back, the power company still has to maintain the grid, but has less buyers, effectively. And in a place where distributed solar could generate a LOT, while I can't see a 3:1 sell:buy ratio, I can see that it might have to be higher than other places if there was a likelihood of more distributed solar generation. Maybe that's all they could get from selling their surplus in bulk?

OP
OP

Obxcast

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Program Director
Country flag
Hello, my future fellow Cybertruck owners! I wanted to update you with a little information about incentives when buying a Tesla in the lovely Commonwealth of Virginia. First, full disclosure. I am not an economic expert, I do not work for Virginia Power, but I am a new Tesla owner, and this posting is based on that experience. I am highly educated in public policy and administration though. This post is long, so bear with me.

My wife and I purchased a new Tesla Model Y, standard range. How did we do this? Well, when Tesla lowered the cost of the Model Y to right around $39,000 she wanted to purchase one. I have my Cybertruck pre-order in, and she wanted to beat me to the land of Tesla ownership (and rub it in a little). Its a glorious place, not gonna lie. The car is freaking amazing, and its hard to believe that you can buy such a high end vehicle for that price. I have owned Land Rovers, etc., and this beats the luxury I have experienced by far. I am 6'7" tall and fit perfectly in the Model Y. Then, the Model Y went away, so we called a local Tesla dealership and they still had one on the lot. So we put a deposit on it and bought it the next day for the discounted price. It was brand new. What a deal!

When at the dealership, I asked to apply my referral number to the account so we could each get 1000 miles of supercharging. The awesome lady helping us out (and she was great) stated that we could apply my referral number to the account and be entered to win the free vehicle, but we could not get the 1000 supercharger miles. Why? Because, and this is what I was told, Virginia considers doing this as me acting as a salesman, and this is illegal in the state! What!? You mean I live in a state that is very Democratic and has a Governor that preaches about the environment and they not only offer jack for purchasing an electric vehicle, but they won't even allow you to use the own companies incentives? Let me put on my shocked face :cautious:.

So, on to Virginia powers incentives. They offer "off peak" rates for EV owners right? I mean their website talks about how progressive Dominion VA Power is for the environment and their commitment EV powered devices. Don't get me wrong, we have solar panels and got a great deal with VA Power. Also, I have always had VA Power and I love the company...they are pretty awesome. But, when I called to talk to them, I got transferred three times, and was finally told the following. They will allow me to shift from standard billing to on-peak and off-peak billing. If I do not like this I cannot switch back. So they are mailing me something and they want me to be sure its right for me before I make the switch.

I do not know the rates yet, and maybe its a good deal, but I find it a little circumspect. I will absolutely update everyone with more information here when I get the packet, but for now here is what they told me. I will be charged one rate for on-peak and another rate for off-peak. This is a semi-permanent change (more or less) and I have to have my meter switched out and such. I was under the impression they would just give us a discount for off-peak hours. Not the case. Here are the peak hours.

June-Sept: 7am-10pm (Monday-Friday)
Oct-May: 7am to 11am and also 5pm-9pm (Monday-Friday)
All other hours, as well as certain holidays, are off-peak

So...more to follow, but for now, I wanted to make my personal experience known, so as we all move forward in to Cybertruck land we know what to expect if we live in Virginia. At least for now. The on-peak and off-peak billing may be wonderful. Once I receive the packet I will update everyone.

All of this being said I am not complaining. We freaking love our Model Y. It is awesome and I feel kind of snobbish even asking for incentives because its so great, but there is nothing wrong with asking I suppose, especially when so many other states offer such great incentives. I honestly do not think I will ever buy another ICE vehicle again, incentives or not, and I am more excited about my Cybertruck now.
Update:

I received the package from VA Power and I was surprised that they did not include any information about price. They did not say what my peak hour rate or my off hour rate would be. They told me this would be in the letter but nope. Back to the phone I suppose.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Your meter, like the motors in your Y, runs forwards or backwards depending on the direction of power flow through it. If power flows to the building the meter runs forward and your bill goes up. If power flows from the building to the grid the meter runs backwards and you bill goes down. A kWh is a kWh worth about 13 ¢ which ever direction it goes. As Dominion can buy a kWh for about 3 ¢ wholesale but has to pay you 23 ¢ I don't see how they allow it. Solar used to be burdened by lots of restrictions in the Old Dominion but things have changed a lot. Northam I guess.

They are still allowed to charge you for transmission. I get billed $7 a month for that. The one thing I am not certain about is "demand charges". The rationale behind them is that if you draw 200 kW for half an hour (i.e. other than for a brief time) they have to size their distribution to supply 200 kW and you should pay for that. The charges are astronomical. If you charge your Y at full tilt for more than half an hour it could add a lot to your bill. But, interestingly enough, while they list the peak 30 minute demand on each bill they do not charge for it so perhaps it got quashed when the other restrictions did. Nevertheless I keep my demand down by charging in the middle of the day on sunny days. I can charge at the full 11 kW and still send power to the grid. Another strategy is, of course, to charge at a lower rate i.e. 5 kW or 4 kW instead of 11. I guess this is all moot really as I've never been charged for demand though their tariff says I could be charged $60 - 70 in a typical month.

I don't think I've ever been offered any kind of off peal program but I wouldn't be interested as at night time I am running off mu credits from the day.
Sponsored