Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
I know, well I think I can see, where Tesla is going with the Cyber. So much of the "look" of the truck is based on engineering, "It is what it is." kind of thinking.
But then in some cases they have abandoned the engineering and instead have tried to achieve a certain aesthetic.
I've heard the story of Big Ee having a vision of making this vehicle of making it do what it can regardless of the look. Thinking outside the box. Being brave, determined, not compromising anything for aesthetics. FUNCTION OVER FORM.
I never cared what any of my vehicles looked like. I cared how good they were. So much of the Vehicle is based on FUNCTION. And I loved "the look" because it looked like what it was. Honest. Honesty. It was just there.
And if the Cyber can keep to that goal/vision then whatever comes out in the final rendition I'm going to be thrilled with...
BUT...
If the designers keep "f-ing" with this thing they are going to reduce the performance and functionality purely for some immature aesthetic flair.
I am not an engineer, and even less of a designer. But I can see when someone is trying to play me. Those wheels are for the immature boy that wants to show how tough his "Truck" is. And the dash must have been forgotten about till they went to hang the screen interface and went, What the hell"? Where's the dash?"
And so, if Tesla wants to make the fake childish Mad max Road Warriors feel all happy and shit while they drink their Bud Light then sure, design some Fake "lugnuttish " wheels that make it look like a fake badass. And if you want to pretend that your being eco-conscious while drinking your Miller Lite then put some sorry piece of crap (reclained, repurposed blah blah blah) Paper-mache dash in it. Who are they trying to kid? That dash is horseshit. Period. And those wheel(cover)s look like I popped them off a G.I. Joe Jeep I had in the '60's, and glued them to this vehicle.
Now those are the two big things I see on this thing that just have no place in a vehicle that was engineered.
The wheels should have some performance/functional design to them...either they need to be silly-strong or aerodynamic shields. PERIOD. Not fake G.I. Joe-esque. And the dash is premium space. If all the display crap is going to be in the screen then something should be done with the dash instead of sticking a block of paper and glue there just to make it look normal.
I am hoping that those two parts of the vehicle were just "finished" in time for the roll out, and some serious, creative, inventive thought goes in to how to ENGINEER those two places of the vehicle so they increase the performance and function of the vehicle.
Those are the two I can remember, but there are a ton of things that someone should look at and ENGINEER them back to being functional instead of pretty, interesting, or just plain bullshit.
I want an honest product. Not a half and half....
Engineered for maximum performance within a limited budget with nothing going to bullshit like a paper dash and fake wheels.

PS I know it would look odd to put "prius" type wheels on it, but damn, if it reduces the drag coefficient .01 do it. I want to look at the vehicle and go "That looks like that for this reason." And not look at it and go, "That is some fake design bs they made up for no good reason."
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
In order to carry a 3,000 lb load, the tires need to be rated for the weight. Going to a Prius tire may be too extreme of a downgraded tire.

Since I will be using the CT as a commuter, I may/most likely use a set of commuting tires. It is not so much on extending range, the interest is in saving money replacing tires often While commuting.

My Volt had slick stock tires. If the slightest mist on the road, would skid if not careful turning a corner. First set of new tires, more grip, reduced range, increased handling and fun factor. In this example, my desired performance increased my energy cost, con. Increased my driving fun by multiples compared to cost, pro.

Thus, the tire I use must fit my performance and fun factor needs. Aesthetics do play to my fun factor side, saving money is also a lot of fun. If someone criticizes my “ugly” tire choice, I wipe my tears away with a fuller wallet. If critiqued by my massive, awe inspiring, testosterone filled beasts, I am getting my value in desired use And/or aesthetic pleasure.

Not a fan of the wheel hubs. Curious what the final production will be and not too concerned due to easily changing aftermarket.

I am wondering how long it will take for someone to slam the truck down by adjusting the rim height/low profile tire combination to sit on the ground at the lowest air ride point. Not my intention but, I support those who make the vehicle their own.

For Luke’s eyes only, be careful of your Cheerios, somebody may have pissed in them to trigger the passionate post. ? Said with a smile and camaraderie.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I know, well I think I can see, where Tesla is going with the Cyber. So much of the "look" of the truck is based on engineering, "It is what it is." kind of thinking.
But then in some cases they have abandoned the engineering and instead have tried to achieve a certain aesthetic.
I've heard the story of Big Ee having a vision of making this vehicle of making it do what it can regardless of the look. Thinking outside the box. Being brave, determined, not compromising anything for aesthetics. FUNCTION OVER FORM.
I never cared what any of my vehicles looked like. I cared how good they were. So much of the Vehicle is based on FUNCTION. And I loved "the look" because it looked like what it was. Honest. Honesty. It was just there.
And if the Cyber can keep to that goal/vision then whatever comes out in the final rendition I'm going to be thrilled with...
BUT...
If the designers keep "f-ing" with this thing they are going to reduce the performance and functionality purely for some immature aesthetic flair.
I am not an engineer, and even less of a designer. But I can see when someone is trying to play me. Those wheels are for the immature boy that wants to show how tough his "Truck" is. And the dash must have been forgotten about till they went to hang the screen interface and went, What the hell"? Where's the dash?"
And so, if Tesla wants to make the fake childish Mad max Road Warriors feel all happy and shit while they drink their Bud Light then sure, design some Fake "lugnuttish " wheels that make it look like a fake badass. And if you want to pretend that your being eco-conscious while drinking your Miller Lite then put some sorry piece of crap (reclained, repurposed blah blah blah) Paper-mache dash in it. Who are they trying to kid? That dash is horseshit. Period. And those wheel(cover)s look like I popped them off a G.I. Joe Jeep I had in the '60's, and glued them to this vehicle.
Now those are the two big things I see on this thing that just have no place in a vehicle that was engineered.
The wheels should have some performance/functional design to them...either they need to be silly-strong or aerodynamic shields. PERIOD. Not fake G.I. Joe-esque. And the dash is premium space. If all the display crap is going to be in the screen then something should be done with the dash instead of sticking a block of paper and glue there just to make it look normal.
I am hoping that those two parts of the vehicle were just "finished" in time for the roll out, and some serious, creative, inventive thought goes in to how to ENGINEER those two places of the vehicle so they increase the performance and function of the vehicle.
Those are the two I can remember, but there are a ton of things that someone should look at and ENGINEER them back to being functional instead of pretty, interesting, or just plain bullshit.
Engineered for maximum performance within a limited budget with nothing going to bullshit like a paper dash and fake wheels.

PS I know it would look odd to put "prius" type wheels on it, but damn, if it reduces the drag coefficient .01 do it. I want to look at the vehicle and go "That looks like that for this reason." And not look at it and go, "That is some fake design bs they made up for no good reason."
I am with you on the hub caps. The tires they had on the Cybertruck have Kevlar reinforcement on the sidewalls. The load range for the tire (approximately 2,500 LBS) is not enough for the full capacity of the Cybertruck. It looked super cool but, I doubt it will be the tire they use. The Bridgestone Dueler A/T tire has a load capacity of 3,640 LBS; it might be a better choice. It will be interesting to see the wheel and tire options that are made available once we start seeing customers being invited to do final configuration on their Cybertrucks.

Tesla Cybertruck Aesthetic or Performance. given a choice Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.45.02 AM

Tesla Cybertruck Aesthetic or Performance. given a choice Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.56.20 AM

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'm a minimalist at heart with an appreciation for brutalism. I want to see function and performance always trump aesthetics in the design of my CT.

Something that annoys me about modern trucks is how they all look like some 15 year old went crazy with a tonka model and enamel paints, then just added a bunch of stuff from other models. My f350 has a basic cab and it still has more levers, knobs, buttons and screens than are reasonable.

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
BUT...

Trim levels and packages, in my mind it boils down to this.
Off road package
Commuter/street package
Towing/ work package
Each with own tire and wheel

The dash I agree with you on the paper. In my head this is just a working prototype that is very easily modified ,changed, and developed. I believe that the present dashboard was just for debut.
At this point we all know Tesla. It won’t be bs garbage.
You had me at GI Joe.
But with the kung fu grip for cool factor

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Trim levels and packages, in my mind it boils down to this.
Off road package
Commuter/street package
Towing/ work package
Each with own tire and wheel

The dash I agree with you on the paper. In my head this is just a working prototype that is very easily modified ,changed, and developed. I believe that the present dashboard was just for debut.
At this point we all know Tesla. It won’t be bs garbage.
You had me at GI Joe.
But with the kung fu grip for cool factor
I'm totally in agreement that the dash is an incomplete prototype but paper it is a media term. It isnt actually paper anymore that MDF is paper. Plant cellulose plastic is a common plastic used in items like warby parker eye glass frames etc and paper composite is the name given to wood(tree) cellulose plastic. Paper composite counter tops in kitchens look and perform like soft stone countertops. It's a good durable sustainable bio material. I hope and believe that the white marble look is what you can get with the white leather interior and hope/ believe that other appearance will be offered and that the dash will be different to incorporate the side view screens.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I agree on the dash. It is my least favourite aspect of the CT. I don’t need a lot of internal storage. If it is there stuff gets put in it and never gets touched again until the vehicle is emptied to sell it. I want to be able to hold my vehicle registration, sunglasses, my phone and wallet when driving and my coffee cup. The rest of the stuff in the vehicle is stuff I don’t use often. That stuff can go in the external storage if it goes on the CT at all.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
I'm serious...that dash should be the hidden/lockable gun rack. The Cyber is wide is enough to put a .50 call in there.:unsure:
(That was for the zombie apocalypse crowd. I just have a 700 BDL 7mm mag I bought back in the 1980's that I baby now.)

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I'm serious...that dash should be the hidden/lockable gun rack. The Cyber is wide is enough to a .50 call in there.:unsure:
(That was for the zombie apocalypse crowd. I just have a 700 BDL 7mm mag I bought back in the 1980's that I baby now.)
If you look closely you can see the line where it opens so that you have quik access. ?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Here is another thought. The dash in my current truck is useless. How useful it will be to have a kitchen counter right in the front to make avocado toast.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Here is another thought. The dash in my current truck is useless. How useful it will be to have a kitchen counter right in the front to make avocado toast.
You are such a poser-hipster... you'd have to trim that thing to eat avocado toast.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm a minimalist at heart with an appreciation for brutalism. I want to see function and performance always trump aesthetics in the design of my CT.

Something that annoys me about modern trucks is how they all look like some 15 year old went crazy with a tonka model and enamel paints, then just added a bunch of stuff from other models. My f350 has a basic cab and it still has more levers, knobs, buttons and screens than are reasonable.
You definitely want Bollinger.

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
I'm totally in agreement that the dash is an incomplete prototype but paper it is a media term. It isnt actually paper anymore that MDF is paper. Plant cellulose plastic is a common plastic used in items like warby parker eye glass frames etc and paper composite is the name given to wood(tree) cellulose plastic. Paper composite counter tops in kitchens look and perform like soft stone countertops. It's a good durable sustainable bio material. I hope and believe that the white marble look is what you can get with the white leather interior and hope/ believe that other appearance will be offered and that the dash will be different to incorporate the side view screens.
Right on Dids and several good points and applications of that medium.